header.nohb.html

Whiplash Backlash

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zeb said:
I proposed this over at Cymbalholic: A sequel, about a young, aspiring tuba player called... "Lip Rash".

th_43494c0b.gif

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I enjoyed it.

I had a director in high school that used some of the same techniques to get the best out of you. We had one director from another jr. high in the area that was notoriously tough on her students. I was totally freaked out by her the first time I had to play in front of her for a combined jr. high concert. She was as delivered on stage. Off stage, completely different....almost like Fletcher at the bar scene. So I guess, I related to the main character, and his run ins with Fletcher.

I've also been put in the same situation as the final scene where I had to fill, was given music, and when I got to the show they added a song. Totally lost, and felt broken down and a bit betrayed. I, only being 13 at the time, let it beat me, so to see something like that unfold on screen was inspirational. I thought the ending was perfect. They both got what they wanted.

If you're going to close your mind to watching the movie off of a forum thread, then perhaps you should skip the movie.

Starship Krupa

Reaction score
W&A Player said:
This video (short film) has been posted here before. However, if you've never seen it, please give it a look. This is a "feel good" drummer movie that is not just about being a musician. Sadly, the featured drummer Dave Ratajczak passed away from cancer in October of 2014. He was a highly respected and in demand Broadway and recording session player. I sent the link to friends that included some who were not in the music business. Everyone said that they liked what they saw.....some loved it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+drummer+video&FORM=VIRE15#view=detail&mid=7F2A3282DE9626F51D4A7F2A3282DE9626F51D4A
Wow, thanks for posting that. I had not seen it. It's now a new favorite of mine.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Please pass it along to anyone who tells you about watching Whiplash.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
equipmentdork said:
I finally saw Whiplash on TV today. Horrible sadistic, foul mouthed a..hole a teacher? Trying to drive people to become "the greatest" with no regard for collateral damage? The suicide of a successful "ex student" that doesn't' deter his style? A talented young drummer driving himself to be "the best", not the best he can be for the love of music or his instrument. Fletcher sabotaging his big chance, not to "push him to greatness" but as an act of revenge, then a final collaboration in the big solo with happy faces at the end? Or was is Fletcher's big gamble that the kid would come back? Was this movie supposed to be inspirational? I don't get it. Glad I didn't pay for this. I'll take YouTube.
Not for nothing, but a spoiler alert would have been nice.

Dan
I gotta agree, a spoiler alert note in the tread title would have been nice.

I'm sure there's plenty of members who haven't seen the movie that intent to. Although seeing the thread title told me not to read this thread until I saw the movie.

Finally saw it last night, I'd say the bloody hands scenes were a little too dramatic but that's Hollywood! I thought it was a good movie, it was refreshing to see so many newer actors playing the character roles.

Scott

jaybeez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the comment on lack of reality.

If the kid is in a premier music program, no way his hands are bleeding.

That said, my daughter is in a premier music program and those in the drum side of things often come out in tears after one particular professor has his way with them. One student was subject to stick throwing.

Seems extreme, but when you see the kids play they are darn good.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I generally hate reaction videos but this one seems honest and genuine and a fair assessment from a pretty good source.

I didn't see the movie and I probably wont. Just the various scenes that are out on YT. I got turned off by the over-dramatization and I agree with Greyson, some folks would hit back. I'm not a violent person, never been in an honest fight in my life but if this guy slapped me like that he'd be eating through a straw for quite some time.

Anyway, here's the vid. I enjoyed his assessment.

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
if this guy slapped me like that he'd be eating through a straw for quite some time.
And, you know, dodging or blocking. Who can't do that? I told my dentist no shots for the deep cleaning, but he didn't get, or forgot the memo. When I saw that syringe cross the oral threshold, my midichlorians kicked in, time slowed down, and I instantly but gently took his wrist and reversed its course. I think the anesthetic squirt landed on the hygenist. Sorry, dude. I did specify that though.

Anyway, if one drummer can do that, another drummer can easily dodge or deflect a slap. Especially the second one. I mean, geez.

Danny

Reaction score
Does he bring up a prestigious jazz school playing an OCDP kit? That’s an egregious miss.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was so educational. Thank you for posting. I feel like a better jazz drummer already. Grateful he would share his years and years of professional jazz experience with us mortals for free about this very important drumming movie.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that seems slightly jaded on this movie.

Believe it or not I do have some semblance of self awareness.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will probably never watch this movie because it is not the true story of Hank Levy and his legacy. Many of the musicians from my high school went on to play with Hank Levy at Towson State. My drum teacher graduated from Towson State and played with Hank's band. Hank used to do clinics with our jazz band, and we played many of his charts, Whiplash included, albeit one of the more difficult. It still boggles my mind to look back and realize how far ahead of the curve we were, as high school students, playing all of Hank's odd time signature charts. Honestly, we were kids, and we didn't understand we were playing a level of music far beyond other high school bands. I was lucky and blessed to be a part of it.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it and found it tedious and boring. Movies are almost never realistic depictions of life, think archaeology and “Indiana Jones”. That said, “That Thing You Do” was so much more entertaining for a film focused on the drummer.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed the movie. It's not supposed to be an accurate depiction of the life of an ordinary music school student. Nobody wants to see that boring ass story. It's a compelling because it's out of the ordinary. Everyone who watched the movie knows this. It's the entire freaking reason they bought a ticket or steamed it. I didn't watch the Netflix series Ozark because I wanted to see a realistic show about accounting. I enjoy movies that feature computer hacking, even though I know that real life hacking looks nothing like the movies. People need to get over themselves with all the "it's just not real and I would know so I need to let you know!" stuff. It's OK to watch movies.

Gregdc

Reaction score
The putting through of the snare head in the trailer with a single punch was the thing that did it for me. If the impact of destroying your wrist would be a career ender even if the slap from the bald fella wasn't. Absolute turd.

Trommeslager

Reaction score
Why give ignorant opinions? Watch movie. Nobody want book review from ignorant person who don’t read book. This worse became it take week to read book. Movie you critic is 2 huors long.

Also, it win many Oscar’s awardededs.