header.nohb.html

Whiplash Backlash

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the critique video. Normally I don't care for them. I'm wondering why GN has a smaller ride cymbal which is odd and I wish he played a little slower with some more swing. Finally, give him some old K's and an old Gretsch kit! Dude is way talented.....
He filmed it at Drumeo which is in BC, Canada. Grayson is from NY. I doubt he flew all the way across the country and into Canada with his gear.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on reviews of violence hostility and bad behavior of the this movie Whiplash I would never even consider it.
Furthermore and inasmuch I could give a rats ass what Grayson thinks about it
eventhough he is quite the chopsman

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
The scenes I watched from the clip posted made me laugh, so I am thinking that Whiplash was unintentionally comedic. I LOL'd it was so stupidly funny!!!

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Couldn’t watch it.
Lived it in my junior high years.
At that time, my sole motivation for continuing to play was as a middle finger to my band director to show that his influence in my drum world was smaller than infinitesimal, a world in which he was persona non grata. Drums were my single link to sanity on this planet during those years and NOBODY was gonna affect that. My band director tried HARD to penetrate it, and upon his failure, punished me for it.

One wonders how many potentially world-changing musical careers have been squashed due to all the negativity that was injected into the mix by some POS with a teaching degree.

Last edited:

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t watch it.
At that time, my sole motivation for continuing to play was as a middle finger to my band director to show that his influence in my drum world was smaller than infinitesimal, a world in which he was persona non grata. Drums were my single link to sanity on this planet during those years and NOBODY was gonna affect that. My band director tried HARD to penetrate it, and upon his failure, punished me for it.
One wonders how many potentially world-changing musical careers have been squashed due to all the negativity that was injected into the mix by some POS with a teaching degree.

Couldn’t watch it.

"One wonders how many potentially world-changing musical careers have been squashed due to all the negativity that was injected into the mix by some POS with a teaching degree"
Captures my feeling watching the movie. I hoped it wouldn't discourage young drummers from thinking drumming was all about abuse and hardship, and then decide not to pursue drums. There is beauty, comradery, and enjoyment to music. I didn't see any of that in the movie. I also didn't see any emphasis on dynamics vs. speed, musicality vs. flash...

Superb acting but the message as a whole was not positive. I'll never watch it again nor recommend it to others.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Ag
i liked it.
i had a teacher (whom i grew to like) who i found very intimidating at the start.

I also loved the dinner conversation with the peer football player.

a great movie...no...a good movie...at least one I could relate to more than most.
Agreed. The list is LONG of films which are not closely based in reality yet for some reason, drummers must unceasingly come to the defense of reality here and set the record straight. I enjoyed it as it was created, as fiction.

No panties, no bunching.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
i liked it.
i had a teacher (whom i grew to like) who i found very intimidating at the start.

I also loved the dinner conversation with the peer football player.

a great movie...no...a good movie...at least one I could relate to more than most.
And IMO the very first wide release film to portray the mental, emotional and social journey musicians go through in any sort of serious way. For once, the stumbling blocks weren't drug abuse, falling in with the wrong crowd, or otherwise excessive debauchery, but rather self-doubt, insecurity, social sacrifice.... And sure everything was portrayed dramatically - do the the daily life of a cop is anything like what we see week after week on TV??

I was amazed how the jazz education community bashed this film - when the sort excesses portrayed are in no way unheard of.

Anyway - I found it wild to sit in a theater for the very first time watching a film that was trying to try and give the lay audience a peak of into what I do, and my friends do, is about.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
First, you have a man who looks like an insurance pitch man screaming at a drum set student who can't hold his sticks. Then, said pitchman screams at clueless percussion student "are you dragging or rushing?!?" Since said percussion student has no clue about anything rhythmic, he can't answer. So insurance pitchman throws chairs at clueless student. So, in order to please the dictator, clueless percussion student plays nonsensical (and likely fake) percussion exercises, and makes his hands bleed. Clueless percussion student figures out how to fake hand bleeding, so in impossible solo, he makes his hands appear to bleed, then is revered by all.

RayB

Reaction score
First, you have a man who looks like an insurance pitch man screaming at a drum set student who can't hold his sticks. Then, said pitchman screams at clueless percussion student "are you dragging or rushing?!?" Since said percussion student has no clue about anything rhythmic, he can't answer. So insurance pitchman throws chairs at clueless student. So, in order to please the dictator, clueless percussion student plays nonsensical (and likely fake) percussion exercises, and makes his hands bleed. Clueless percussion student figures out how to fake hand bleeding, so in impossible solo, he makes his hands appear to bleed, then is revered by all.
I agree: the We Are Farmers guy portrays a horrible music teacher. Striking a student as he did is assault and would surely get you fired. Plus, even at age 18 or so, if he slapped me like that there's a good chance I'd punch him back. And if slapped my kid; my good sense would tell me to report it to the school administration, but my not so good sense would tell me to kick his butt. It's outrageous. You're trying teach my kid about dragging or rushing so you slap him in the face?
Another upsetting scene is the We Are Farmers guy flinging a hi hat cymbal at his student drummer. Supposedly this is what Jo Jones did to a young Charlie Parker at a jam session. The real event was an inexperienced Chwrlie Parker lousy and all over the place, so Jo threw his top hi hat cymbal on the ground as a not-too-subtle "stop playing" message . He did NOT throw the cymbal at him. Seriously, flinging a metal disc at a student?
I don't understand what kind of stick grip and technique this kid uses that would make his hands bleed. At any rate, lsolating yourself and torturing your hands is not a good way to develop your feel for music. Perhaps go out and play all types of gigs? Listen to great players (not just drummers) from every era of jazz. Hear how they phrase the melody and solos. Develop your ears.
Ridiculous finale. We Are Farmers tells the kid how sitting in with this big band could be a chance to get hired for their tour. That may have made sense if it was 1939 and he had a chance to join Tommy Dorsey or Benny Goodman, etc. I don't know how many big bands go on the road these days; certainly won't pay enough to cover your rent (or pay off your student loan). Then when he starts his Buddy Rich pyrotechnic solo, We Are Farmers is "conducting" him. I'm sure Buddy would've loved that, "What the f---- are you doing? Get away from me!"

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree: the We Are Farmers guy portrays a horrible music teacher. Striking a student as he did is assault and would surely get you fired. Plus, even at age 18 or so, if he slapped me like that there's a good chance I'd punch him back. And if slapped my kid; my good sense would tell me to report it to the school administration, but my not so good sense would tell me to kick his butt. It's outrageous. You're trying teach my kid about dragging or rushing so you slap him in the face?
Another upsetting scene is the We Are Farmers guy flinging a hi hat cymbal at his student drummer. Supposedly this is what Jo Jones did to a young Charlie Parker at a jam session. The real event was an inexperienced Chwrlie Parker lousy and all over the place, so Jo threw his top hi hat cymbal on the ground as a not-too-subtle "stop playing" message . He did NOT throw the cymbal at him. Seriously, flinging a metal disc at a student?
I don't understand what kind of stick grip and technique this kid uses that would make his hands bleed. At any rate, lsolating yourself and torturing your hands is not a good way to develop your feel for music. Perhaps go out and play all types of gigs? Listen to great players (not just drummers) from every era of jazz. Hear how they phrase the melody and solos. Develop your ears.
Ridiculous finale. We Are Farmers tells the kid how sitting in with this big band could be a chance to get hired for their tour. That may have made sense if it was 1939 and he had a chance to join Tommy Dorsey or Benny Goodman, etc. I don't know how many big bands go on the road these days; certainly won't pay enough to cover your rent (or pay off your student loan). Then when he starts his Buddy Rich pyrotechnic solo, We Are Farmers is "conducting" him. I'm sure Buddy would've loved that, "What the f---- are you doing? Get away from me!"
Is it because he was selling insurance? Is it because he is frustrated with being famous for selling insurance?!?

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
I think y’all are taking the movie too literally or personally or something.

It’s not as much a movie about drumming as it is a horror flick revolving around a psychopath who manipulates young minds and breaks their humanity, their connection with everything they love; not just music, only to please him.

Is there redemption at the end when the kid prevails?

No. He’s broken. Forever. By a crazy person.

That’s what the movie is about. It is not supposed to be some day in the life at Julliard docu-drama or any such nonsense.

RayB

Reaction score
Is it because he was selling insurance? Is it because he is frustrated with being famous for selling insurance?!?
J. K. Simmons, well known character actor in movies and TV for years. Whiplash was his biggest role and he won an Oscar. The We Are Farmers commercial is undoubtedly a nice taste $$
He's an actor reading a script; the guy who wrote it had IMHO a pretty messed up view of jazz drumming (and education, too).
I think it would've worked better as an old fashioned football movie. Kid makes high school team, old tough coach shows him he ain't good enough, embarrasses him. Kid works out 24/7, isolated from girl friend and family. Fights through injuries and grueling practices., Coach puts him in at running back in the biggest game of the year. Scouts from big colleges in stands. kid scores 3 touchdowns...they win championship. Just like the path we drummers take.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s not forget the poor #2 Chair who looked absolutely terrified looking for a way out .