Whitney Drums: Experiences, pros, cons, etc.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at picking up a Whitney Nesting Penguin kit in about a week or so, does anyone have any insight into these drums? The ultra portable aspect is what’s making me go for it, are they heavy?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned two Whitney Nesting Penguin kits. A nesting 16 with wood hoops and a Nesting 18 with triple flange steel hoops. I like the nesting 16 with the wood hoops far more. It had more warmth and was far lighter in weight.
Now back to the question at hand. Whitney kits are not the most attractive kits, they look radically different than typical drums and not everyone likes the look. personally I did . I got more people asking me about my former Whitney nesting kit than any other drum set I have ever owned.

The shell diameter is two inches larger than the head diameter. so a 16" head bass drum has an 18" shell. The build is somewhat similar to the old Peavey radial pro drums with the exception of the shell being attached to the outer side of the bridge rather than the inside like on the Peavey drums.

The Whitney drums are very fat sounding drums, with a nice resonance and again, I highly recommend the wood hoop model over the shell hoop model. The drums hold their tuning well, are extremely lightweight and are IMHO the absolute best nesting kit ever made. Nested the drums in the provided padded AHEAD bag weighed less than 30 lbs.

The Quickframe is brilliant and now that he changed the upright tubes from steel to aluminum he has cut additional weight fro the the kit. I would suggest getting a longer hardware bag to carry the quick frame and the uprights so that you have less break down to be done. It will help in setup and tear down time.

JT Whitney supplies the kits with Aquarian heads , I recommend the texture coated for tom batters and classic clear for resonant side. My nesting 16 came with an Aquarian Impact bass drum batter and resonant and it sounded great.

I don't have any experience with the Whitney snare that is available with the kits. I decided to use my own snare ( 13 x 5") instead with the kit.

I have owned a LOT of kits over the years and the only one I truly regret selling is the Whitney Nesting 16 with the wood hoops.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned two Whitney Nesting Penguin kits. A nesting 16 with wood hoops and a Nesting 18 with triple flange steel hoops. I like the nesting 16 with the wood hoops far more. It had more warmth and was far lighter in weight.
Now back to the question at hand. Whitney kits are not the most attractive kits, they look radically different than typical drums and not everyone likes the look. personally I did . I got more people asking me about my former Whitney nesting kit than any other drum set I have ever owned.

The shell diameter is two inches larger than the head diameter. so a 16" head bass drum has an 18" shell. The build is somewhat similar to the old Peavey radial pro drums with the exception of the shell being attached to the outer side of the bridge rather than the inside like on the Peavey drums.

The Whitney drums are very fat sounding drums, with a nice resonance and again, I highly recommend the wood hoop model over the shell hoop model. The drums hold their tuning well, are extremely lightweight and are IMHO the absolute best nesting kit ever made. Nested the drums in the provided padded AHEAD bag weighed less than 30 lbs.

The Quickframe is brilliant and now that he changed the upright tubes from steel to aluminum he has cut additional weight fro the the kit. I would suggest getting a longer hardware bag to carry the quick frame and the uprights so that you have less break down to be done. It will help in setup and tear down time.

JT Whitney supplies the kits with Aquarian heads , I recommend the texture coated for tom batters and classic clear for resonant side. My nesting 16 came with an Aquarian Impact bass drum batter and resonant and it sounded great.

I don't have any experience with the Whitney snare that is available with the kits. I decided to use my own snare ( 13 x 5") instead with the kit.

I have owned a LOT of kits over the years and the only one I truly regret selling is the Whitney Nesting 16 with the wood hoops.

Thank you for all of the info! The kit that’s tentatively coming to me has a 20” bass drum, 10/14 toms and a 14 snare. It has the wood hoops, so that’s exciting.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had a classic rock gig, I couldn’t do better than my 24” Blaemire. This is a kit for moving around various playing situations.
I'd love a 24" but not for physically carrying the thing around in a case. Is the Blaemire heavy ?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I owned a Whitney for a couple days, sold it quickly to a friend. He had a tour coming up he needed it for, I already had a nesting kit in similar sizes with sentimental attachment.

They sounded GREAT. He's toured them around the world... even when he can bring other toms, he prefers the Whitney drums most of the time. Big, fat, wooly, fluffy... so good sounding that the portability is almost secondary.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Penguin kit with 16” (head) kick. It is confusing to say what to actually call the size.

Nothing but good things to say about them. Clever design, well made, super light weight and they sound great. I would still have them but I bought the wrong sizes for the high tuning I wanted. That was my fault and not the drums.

I modified the hardware a bit to get things just the way I wanted it. My only complaint was that the wooden rims sat just a bit taller than metal rims would have and because of the smaller sizes I would click the rims more than I would have expected.

I also ditched the little blanket wraps that protect the drums when you nest them and found that neoprene waist wraps (for fat folks) were easier to wrap around the shells
C0EB9A41-6DEC-4DEB-8FBC-C914C75920C3.jpeg
C0EB9A41-6DEC-4DEB-8FBC-C914C75920C3.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Could the 16" do a classic rock gig ?
I used my 16” Whitney bass drum for Rock gigs - there is a groove cut out so you can run the mic cable in the bass drum and place the mic inside . I used a Shure Beta 91a Mic placed inside the bass drum on a small blanket and people raced at how great the bass drum sounded .

Latest posts