Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any member here has a nesting kit?
What brand? What sizes?
How do you like it? Pros/Cons?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned a few Nesting kits and by far the best on was the pictured Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 with the wood hoops ( see two pics below ) . It was a great sounding kit . Far better sounding than the metal hooped Nesting 18 I owned ( are pic below ) .

Whitney drums have very thin 3 ply birch shells that are attached at the top and bottom by a wooden bridge similar to what Peavey has done but unlike Peavey Whitney put the shell on the outside of the bridge instead of on the inside . With no metal hoops or cast metal lugs the drums are extremely light . you can remove a head by simply turning a couple thumb screws . The drums do not lose tension when opened up . It is really a brilliant idea . The shell diameter is actually 2” larger than the head diameter . The included Quickframe and Ahead padded bags are included as well .

I would love to get my former wood hoops Whitney kit back but the person I sold it to has sold it . I am considering another Whitney purchase next year .

Some of the Nesting kits I have owned were either just too darn heavy when nested ( Yamaha Hip gig and Wells Custom) or sounded awful ( Yamaha Hip gig) .

Attachments

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned a few Nesting kits and by far the best on was the pictured Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 with the wood hoops ( see two pics below ) . It was a great sounding kit . Far better sounding than the metal hooped Nesting 18 I owned ( are pic below ) .

Whitney drums have very thin 3 ply birch shells that are attached at the top and bottom by a wooden bridge similar to what Peavey has done but unlike Peavey Whitney put the shell on the outside of the bridge instead of on the inside . With no metal hoops or cast metal lugs the drums are extremely light . you can remove a head by simply turning a couple thumb screws . The drums do not lose tension when opened up . It is really a brilliant idea . The shell diameter is actually 2” larger than the head diameter . The included Quickframe and Ahead padded bags are included as well .

I would love to get my former wood hoops Whitney kit back but the person I sold it to has sold it . I am considering another Whitney purchase next year .

Some of the Nesting kits I have owned were either just too darn heavy when nested ( Yamaha Hip gig and Wells Custom) or sounded awful ( Yamaha Hip gig) .
Thanks for the info, that’s a cool looking nesting kit, very unique.
I wonder if anyone has had a drummers world nesting kit or precision.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
I have a nesting kit. I got it since I live in a city, don't have (or need) a car and want a kit that I can pack up and bring with me on a trolley on the tube etc. It is basically the only kit I gig with.

I got this kit from a German drummer, who had it custom made some years back, from - if I remember correctly - some old Slingerland concert tom shells. Sizes are 16, 10, 13, and they all pack up inside the BD; the TT goes into the FT, and the FT then goes into the BD. The kit, plus a snare drum, fits into one case. So with my Tama Classic hardware in an old suitcase, and my cymbals in their bag, I roll around town to and fro various gigs. (Well, the covid-19 pandemic has put at stop to that, but hopefully this will change.)

I love this kit. It sounds great, and I have used it for everything from rock to jazz to modern classical orchestral music. If I could find one, I would love to have another nesting kit with an 18 inch bass drum, since this would give me a little more oomph than the tiny 16 on my Slingys.

Personally, I can't understand why nesting kits are so rare. I think it is a huge missed opportunity for the major drum manufacturers, that they don't make nesting kits. And no, to me, the Yamaha Hip Gig kits don't count, since - if I am not wrong - they have these hugely deep bass drums that house all other drums. A real nesting kit should be like Russian dolls, where each component goes into the next one up.

I attach some pics from various occassions.
23736098_10155840351599254_3633018925067549816_o.jpg
Peters bild.jpg
78489989_10157719927299976_5131148762256769024_o.jpg
Nomad_20190503.jpg
Neon Heart_14feb 2020_A4_Foto Esse.jpg

/Magnus
Packed.jpg

Last edited:

MrYikes

Reaction score
I don't agree with your definition of a nesting kit, but maybe we could come up with a different definition. What would you call a kit that uses concert (single headed) drums that pack up into each other so as to leave one package of drums. Here is my 6 piece kit they all slide into each other and fit into one bag. I have a plastic tote to carry the hardware, a cymbal bag and a bag for sticks. It all fits on a cart so I can get in with one trip.
cc 002.JPG

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
I don't agree with your definition of a nesting kit, but maybe we could come up with a different definition. What would you call a kit that uses concert (single headed) drums that pack up into each other so as to leave one package of drums. Here is my 6 piece kit they all slide into each other and fit into one bag. I have a plastic tote to carry the hardware, a cymbal bag and a bag for sticks. It all fits on a cart so I can get in with one trip. View attachment 449660
You nest your drums, which is very clever, I agree. The kind of nesting kits I like are double-headed drums, not concert toms. That's what I think the majority of drummers mean when we talk about nesting kits. At least I do.

But your solution is a great one.

Best,

Magnus

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You nest your drums, which is very clever, I agree. The kind of nesting kits I like are double-headed drums, not concert toms. That's what I think the majority of drummers mean when we talk about nesting kits. At least I do.

But your solution is a great one.

Best,

Magnus
Yes, I meant this...
F3153BEC-B933-4B0C-98CD-989DBE8C3E94.jpeg

MrYikes

Reaction score
My wife and I have spent the last half hour trying to come up with a name for my type of nesting. No winners. Sexing, stashing. We need some word to describe it so I don't invade a thread like this again.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have spent the last half hour trying to come up with a name for my type of nesting. No winners. Sexing, stashing. We need some word to describe it so I don't invade a thread like this again.
Single-headed nesting drums?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look up "docking "

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Single headed “nesting” kits are cool too. Just a different sound. I just refinished a 12x15 Slingerland concert tom and put floor Tom legs on it. Along with an 8x12 gretsch 3ply concert tom. I don’t have a single headed bass drum but I do have a 14x18 drum that I’m not using for anything else so I’m trying to determine how to use that effectively as a “nesting” kit. One thing about the single headed drums is they are lighter. Double headed nesting drums in standard sizes are a heavy package when “nested”.

Latest posts