Who’s the drummer, Dionne Warwick...

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
David Crigger will probably know. If it's an LA recording, Mr. Blaine is a likely suspect. It almost has a "country" tinge to the usual (sublime) Bacharach thing.
I love all of that stuff very much. As a kid, I liked that more than a lot of rock, which was noisy, unpleasant, and lacking in melody to my tender ears. (With some exceptions -Hendrix, The Doors, etc.)

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
My guess would be Gary Chester as well. Though could not begin to say for sure... as from stories from Burt, so many things were put together at the last minute - and of course a lot was going on recording-wise in NY (as always at that time) - and 1st choice players aren't always available. So yes Gary Chester did lots of Burt's recordings in NY, but I know (from another whole story) that Grady Tate did some playing for him. When? What? How much? Who knows? Because even talking to so many of these guys back in the late 70-early 80's - they didn't remember tons of the details. Some, but not all. And of course, it had been 15-20 years before. And they were in their 50's

Now it's been 60+ years and they're all that much older - those that are still with us.

Anyway - yes, there's a good chance it could be Gary Chester.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gary Chester is a likely suspect. He told me he did all of Burt Bacharach's recordings.
Thats interesting because this track sounds different to me. When the tune opens up there is some playing there that is unque. Freer more improvisational. Thanks for the info. Ill have to listen closer.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My guess would be Gary Chester as well. Though could not begin to say for sure... as from stories from Burt, so many things were put together at the last minute - and of course a lot was going on recording-wise in NY (as always at that time) - and 1st choice players aren't always available. So yes Gary Chester did lots of Burt's recordings in NY, but I know (from another whole story) that Grady Tate did some playing for him. When? What? How much? Who knows? Because even talking to so many of these guys back in the late 70-early 80's - they didn't remember tons of the details. Some, but not all. And of course, it had been 15-20 years before. And they were in their 50's

Now it's been 60+ years and they're all that much older - those that are still with us.

Anyway - yes, there's a good chance it could be Gary Chester.
Thanks. Im going to listen closer and compare this to some of the other tracks.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Woooooow I wasn't at all familliar with Mrs Warwick's stuff even though I've listenned to a lot of cheesy over-arranged, over-orchestrated 60's and 70's pop. But some country, punk, soul, funk, folk and electronic music as well, they say variety is the spice of life. But there's just something about those old pop records... Thanks OP, your post led me to discover that KILLER version of one of my favorite Beatles tune. Listen to the groove and the bitchin' drum tone...

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I cheated and did a little search. Gary Chester is who I came up with as BB’s studio drummer in NYC.
Not trying to be argumentative - but honestly curious as where you sourced that info. Because all I can find is that Gary played a lot for Burt and was a favorite call - which I know from Burt himself, but we also know that Burt recorded in NYC a producer for over ten years - that's a lot of sessions. And I've neither found nor heard any claim that Gary's role was exclusive - if you've found otherwise, please share. There's a good size group of folks on a Bacharach forum I know of that are trying to piece this stuff together and would die for such info. Thanks.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don
Not trying to be argumentative - but honestly curious as where you sourced that info. Because all I can find is that Gary played a lot for Burt and was a favorite call - which I know from Burt himself, but we also know that Burt recorded in NYC a producer for over ten years - that's a lot of sessions. And I've neither found nor heard any claim that Gary's role was exclusive - if you've found otherwise, please share. There's a good size group of folks on a Bacharach forum I know of that are trying to piece this stuff together and would die for such info. Thanks.
I don’t know about being
BB’s exclusive drummer. That’s not what I said. Here’s a link to the site I found, which says, in part: “He was Burt's session drummer of choice in NYC for his own studio recordings and those of Dionne's.”

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is interesting. What methodology are they using? I think there's a lot of interesting area of discovery to be researched.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For those folks who have Gary Chester's New Breed book you can check out the "credits" page which lists a few ditties....
Under Dionne Warwick's listings no mention is made of the toon in question, nor Burt Bacharach's. The contractor's/leader's listings has Burt Bacharach's name only included.
Dunno if this list is complete or not....
bt

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is interesting. What methodology are they using? I think there's a lot of interesting area of discovery to be researched.
The same as us. :) Poking around the internet - asking folks that have talked to those that were there.

This is pretty much info that is slipping away - as we've scene with the "Who Played That Theme" youtube channel - occasionally folks will share access to some of the old union contracts. Because with so many albums, shows and movies containing zero musician credits - those contracts are about the only tangible evidence. And even they aren't definitive - because often times the same song by the same artist could have sessions for a single, then even sometimes a album version, a version for a TV appearance... and oftentimes the sidemen were different on each one (depending on who was available).

Latest posts