Who are your favorite bass players?

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah... I should include Percy Jones too. Not so much for his work with Brand X, which I dig but isn't as interesting to me as his appearances on a few Brain Eno albums. That's some really good stuff! Like it seems with pretty much everyone who appears on one of Eno's recordings, he played did some of his most surprising, creative work.

Also I nominate this guy Bill Macormack... I don't know if he's done anything since the 70s and was pretty obscure even then, but he's on a few of Roxy Music guitarist's Phil Manzenara's albums and is really terrific. Super deft player but also super solid.., he grooves. Too bad that he didn't go playing on more other stuff. I think that he's on some Eno stuff as well, but maybe not too much else.

Gumbeat

Reaction score
"and whoever played bass on 'Reach Out I'll Be There', by the Four Tops. Was it Jamerson?" DanC.

Yes, DanC. It is indeed Jamerson on that track. He is pretty much on every Motown recording until about 70-71 when they brought in Bob Babbitt help out. I play bass as a second instrument so Jamerson,Jemmott, and Duck(you can see me jamming on Duck's 58' P-bass in my avatat pic) are my main inspirations. There are so many great players but those were the guys that moved the most. I tell you, I have learned more about drumming since I started playing bass than I could ever imagine.

teenagebrain

Reaction score
I really love a great bass player---In fact,i have learned more about how to be a technical drummer/musician/percussionist from working with,namely these 2 men:
1).Zander Schloss(known as "The Time Nazi",by Josh Freeze)
2).Keith Miller
And so,here is my small list in no particular order:
Phil Lynott
Andy Fraser
Billy Rath
Sir Paul McCartney
Dusty Hill
Lemmy
Boz Burrell
Charles Mingus
Happy Tom
Noel Redding
Rockette Morten
The Ox
Geezer Butler
Mike Watt
Alpo
John Paul Jones
Dee Dee Ramone
Paul Simonon

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jaco
Duck
Pino
Dusty
Stanley
Ron Wood
Phil Chen
Tal
Ron Carter
Mingus
Tony Levin
Vic Wooten
John Paul Jones

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Marcus Miller
Baron Browne
Victor Bailey
Verdine White
Francis Rocco Prestia
Ronald LaPread
Tracy Wormworth
Bernard Edwards
Stanley Clarke

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paul McCartney
Robbie Shakespeare
Will Lee
John Paul Jones
and anyone can play for the song with a fat sound while not under or over playing it I suppose.

Of people I've played with (I'm such a bit*h when it comes to bass players)
Johnny Provost
Josh (Vinyl Ricci) Kemp
Wayne Cabral

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I see my pick of Peter Cetera isn't gaining a lot of support. Let me offer some evidence for consideration to the jury...this chart also is at the top of my list for best performance by Danny Seraphine.

The interplay between bass and drums on this is really great (IMHO) and had to be a bitch to sing and play at the same time. Which I heard them do several times.

&feature=relmfu

ps I'd also add Chris Squire to my list. :notworthy:

Last edited by a moderator:

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Seriously, so you can name the bassist from Zep or the who??? Mars Cawling from the Pat Travers band, or Billy Sheen , and thats just rock Steve Harris from Maiden, how bout the dude from miami sound machine or the cat that laid down the tracks on Katy Perrys California Girls, Peter Cetera , Flea, the session guy from the Doobey Bros, these guys flat out when working with their drummer keep a beat that goes above and beyond, I'll go Squire as well. Personally Mark Boyce who will never read this or never get recognized was the best bass player I have ever played with and if given a crazy budget to put a band together he would be my #1 choice, that said just because a guy was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time does not make him great, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Marcus Miller
Baron Browne
Victor Bailey
Verdine White
Francis Rocco Prestia
Ronald LaPread
Tracy Wormworth
Bernard Edwards - oh hell yeah! I didn't like disco at the time, now I Iook at this guy as a total groove architect.
Stanley Clarke

I gotta add Paul Jackson from the Headhunters. For me he is as important as Jaco, for really different reasons.

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I apologize.

First is my brother Joseph Mann who I lock with unconsciously.
Then my brother Greg Mann who taught me and Joseph what music is...and I also lock with unconciously.
Then my brother and former Vasser Clemens, Johnny Paycheck, Emmylou Harris and Barefoot Jerry bassist Mike McBride... same lock.

Then all of the bassists I grew up dreaming of playing with like....
James Jamerson
Bootsy
Allan Gorrie
Ron Wood (JBG era)
Phil Chen
Berry Oakley
Jaco
Stanley
Pino
Duck
Carmine Rojas
Marshall "Rock" Jones
Dusty Hill

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
James Jamerson
Anthony "Dog" Boyd
Mighty Mick Deeds
Bobby Babbitt
Charlie Mingus
Ray Brown
Paul Jackson
Me.. Doc.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
James Jamerson
Anthony "Dog" Boyd
Mighty Mick Deeds
Bobby Babbitt
Charlie Mingus
Ray Brown
Paul Jackson
Me.. Doc.

sorry! delete please

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Sam Jones. That son of a gun had a deep groove. He always stayed down in the low register, unlike some of the newer guys who were going up high on the neck all the time like it was a guitar. His solos were so great. They sounded like someone singing.

Oscar Peterson wrote about him in his autobiography. He worked a lot with the technical genius bass player Niels Pedersen, but he said Sam was one of his favorites because of his notes and his groove.

Sam and Louis Hayes were an incredible pair. Think of all the records they made together!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Marcus Miller
Baron Browne
Victor Bailey
Verdine White
Francis Rocco Prestia
Ronald LaPread
Tracy Wormworth
Bernard Edwards - oh hell yeah! I didn't like disco at the time, now I Iook at this guy as a total groove architect.
Stanley Clarke

I gotta add Paul Jackson from the Headhunters. For me he is as important as Jaco, for really different reasons.
Oh crap, can't believe I forgot about Paul. Him and Mike Clark were as nasty as Prestia & Garibaldi. I also forgot Louis Johnson. The guy comes across like an egomaniac but he played some serious funk back in the day!

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found this guy on YT late last year sometime and he has some of the most amazing, creative chops I have ever seen for a bassist. In the short time I have been playing bass I have picked up quite a bit from his site. His real name is Richard but he goes by "MarloweDK" on YT...from Denmark. Two minutes of your time ladies...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts