header.nohb.html

Who can drill for rivets in NY

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not difficult to do this correctly. I understand that you aren’t comfortable with mechanical type things but it is hard for me to believe that there is only one guy in nyc that can do it. Any machine shop could do this.
I disagree slightly. A machine shop could do this but someone with experience with cymbals is 100% more favorable. Not giving my $500 cymbal to someone who hasn’t done this 100 times.

44Ronin

Reaction score
Yes, on a larger diameter hole but for rivets your only talking a 5/32 max diameter. If it's grabbing the cymbal you're doing it wrong.
Yes, what you are likely doing wrong is likely trying to juggle a large object, with awkward angles and geometry (a cymbal), likely on a tiny drill press table. with one hand while using the other hand to apply donkey loads of leverage.

Pointing to the size of the drill bit shows an acute lack of understanding of what drill presses are capable of doing.

Sensible people know when it makes more sense to bring the tool to the work, rather than bringing the work to the tool.

If you're scared of the hand drill, taking it to the drill press isn't going to help you.

44Ronin

Reaction score
I disagree slightly. A machine shop could do this but someone with experience with cymbals is 100% more favorable. Not giving my $500 cymbal to someone who hasn’t done this 100 times.
Those guys at the machine shop drill stuff thats way more pricey than your $500 cymbal, no offense....but.....you're really under-rating the precision of machinists aren't you?

Last edited:

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm an idiot for doing it myself I've done it dozens of times with no problems and no special equipment. I worked in a machine shop in college but am no expert. You just have to have a feel and some confidence.

A power hand drill - I use a cordless dewalt. Decent bits. A center punch or nail to make a starter hole so the bit doesn't walk. And a little oil and a block of scrap wood is all you need.

Go slow, use oil, don't press too hard.

If you're in a pinch, come to my place on W 101 st and I'll do it or show you how to do it ;-)

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The End.
by the way..

What's a drill Press cost
And what or who do you look for in the Phone book; under Drill Press services?

Maybe there's one in the neighborhood just waiting for a cymbal job and never knew it.
The Clutch Shop maybe? It was there in 1989.

Where's access to a Drill Press come from, serious question.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your phone has a book?
Answer me. Where's a Drill Press access in a Town.
Where do you look for one.

Can barely find a person to change valve cover gaskets anymore.
Independent Machine Shops here went the way of the Doo doo bird or went very underground in the 90s
everything moved to dealerships etc

Last edited:

rwm5

Reaction score
I can do my own valve cover gaskets...

And machine shops would be the answer. I've used both a drill press and a hand drill, along with a punch and a scrap piece of wood to add rivets to my pies.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Answer me. Where's a Drill Press access in a Town.
Where do you look for one.

Can barely find a person to change valve cover gaskets anymore.
lol

Any machine shop would have a drill press. So would most auto mechanics.

It's the OP's cymbal, but I never saw any reason a hand drill couldn't work. I might hesitate if it was a priceless cymbal and take it to Maxwells for a consult. But I've never had a problem with any cymbals I've ever drilled. I've also done more aggressive drilling and dremmeling to fix cracks - and no, not from my rivet holes!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a drill press and a mill, but I drill holes in cymbals using a hand drill. Perhaps I'm over cautious, but I use only newish drill bits, bought a Norseman jobber set of 29 new for $115 and a used Snap On set of 27 for $35 in which only a few bits had been used. I'm happy with that investment every time drill, which is fairly often. I'm always concerned about tear-out where the drill exits so I usually drill first with a tiny bit, then partially drill one side before flipping and finishing on the other.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a drill press and a mill, but I drill holes in cymbals using a hand drill. Perhaps I'm over cautious, but I use only newish drill bits, bought a Norseman jobber set of 29 new for $115 and a used Snap On set of 27 for $35 in which only a few bits had been used. I'm happy with that investment every time drill, which is fairly often. I'm always concerned about tear-out where the drill exits so I usually drill first with a tiny bit, then partially drill one side before flipping and finishing on the other.
I do similar. And then deburr the hole with a larger bit by hand.

I hope you use some machine oil.

The machinist I worked for in HS was old school - he learned building ships in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, but was around 80 when I worked for him in a manufacturer of high precision scientific measurement equipment. He knew his mess.

Of course every time he wasn't looking we made pot pipes with the scrap metal.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it really isn't difficult to do it yourself. Just as others here have mentioned, I've drilled many cymbals for rivets with just a hand drill, a newer bit, a hole punch, a bit of painter's tape and a block of wood. Measure twice, drill once.

The only problem with learning to do it yourself is having the discipline not to just go ahead and do it to all your cymbals!

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cobalt bit or not, I wouldn't drill a cymbal with anything but a drill press. A hand drill on a cymbal is the devil's playground...
I’ve always used a drill press on a block of wood.

First I put a 1/2 bolt in the wall, level vertical and horizontal and mark line with pencil. Place cymbal on the bolt with the playing area/resting place of the cymbal at 6 o’clock.

If I want 1 rivet I go 12 o’clock
If I want 2 I go 3 and 9
If I want 3 I go 3,12, and 9.

Measure in an inch and a half or 2 inches, mark with sharpie

Take to your drill press!

I have drilled a new K con MTL for 3 rivets and had no issues with flaking or chipping.

I also have a 20 Bounce that I believe @GiveMeYourSmallestSticks! drilled for rivets and they are fine

Ang

Reaction score
That’s why I do it myself, “Don’t let anyone ruin your day, be a man, ruin it yourself.” I think I saw this on an Instagram reel, made sense to me.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. Have drilled multiple cymbals, including modern As, 70s As, and Turkish Ks. No issues at all. Standard hand drill. Drill with a fresh bit, deburr with a larger bit in reverse.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jesse got back to me. He’s no longer doing cymbal mods. Just selling his brand cymbals, which I would love to hear.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live Outside can barely notice Rivets anyway;

Home just use a twine and rivets pinched on.

If it isn't already drilled forget about it. If you crack a cymbal and need to drill a crack end learn to use a drill and bits. Ask Mom. Bet ya she has one.
She can show you how to use it. Or ask a neighbor.