Who can steam bend a shell for me??? Check out this stunning cherry!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a stunning piece of cherry I want to have steamed bent into a shell or two. I have a different board that is equally beautful though not as quilted, currently being built into a stave drum, so I want this one to be a single ply solid shell. The wood is FAS Cherry from West Virgina, is kiln dried, surfaced 2 sides to 13/16" and straight line ripped. Its a good size (9" wide and 13' long) so almost 10 board feet giving me a great deal of options.

I have the wood, but have no idea who to reach out to about having it bent... ideas?

The figuring runs throughout the board as I am showing you each side of the same stick in the following photos.

20190909_175010.jpg

20190909_175131.jpg

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
This would be pretty good knowledge to have for us DIYers out here. I just did a search for steam bending and found nothing. Got some hits for the UK.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, Micah is going to handle it for me, thanks for the recommendation Eric, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m pretty excited about this project.. Here is the board under different light... again, just wiped with a wet rag to pop the grain. As the figuring goes through the whole board so it will be stunning inside and out as will the rings which he will cut from the same board.

Now I just have to decide the depth... I don’t want to go to shallow as it's the wood that inspired this project in the first place, therefore I want to show as much of it as I can. I really like 6" deep drums but could go 6.5", 7" or even 8" with this. I shy away from the 8" just because I worry I would not use it as much as I might were it a touch more shallow. And I currently have a 7" stave shell being built from another piece of Cherry so I don’t know if I want to suddenly own TWO 7" Cherry snare drums. I’m leaning on 6" to 6.5"... anyone have your own preferences and why? I have never owned a Cherry drum so I may not know their properties very well anyway.

What a good problem to have. Of course in truth, it might be a total failure and the wood not be able to successfully bend at all, but we won’t know that until we give it a try.

20190912_161216_resized.jpg

20190912_161221_resized.jpg

Ptrick

Reaction score
Doc Sweeney drums in California. They do this kind of custom work.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I personally would resaw 1/8" slices and do a conventional glue up using a jig/mold. More stable than a solid steambent imho.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was referring to Doc Sweeney since we know who makes their stave shells...
Cask makes all the Doc Sweeney stuff. Stave and steam bent.

That is a beautiful piece of wood for sure. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I shipped the board on Monday to Cask... I will keep you updated in case anyone might be interested in the project. I will post any photos I happen to get of the steam bent version here and will start a new thread for the stave version also being built from the other piece of Cherry.

I hope the news is positive back from Cask, I would love to see this board turned into a solid shell (or single ply if you prefer) snare. I don't even know what a cherry drum would sound like as I have never played one, but I'm about to have two of them soon... so If I don't get along well with them someone else will have a really nice instrument!

Latest posts