Who can steam bend a shell for me??? Check out this stunning cherry!

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I made a snare from a similar piece of wood. I'll have to see if I have a photo of it. It had that great wavy grain to it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would love to see that Eric, please post if you find it.

Whats your opinion on stain? I am not 100% I will apply any color at all, but I like the idea of poping the grain a bit more than just a clear coat. Do you prefer to stain or dye the wood directly at Black Swamp and lock the grain, or put the color in the sealer or top coat and let it be more "live" and move with the rotation? I have done both many times but I have never really worked on a piece of wood that looked quite like this!

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...

Whats your opinion on stain? I am not 100% I will apply any color at all, but I like the idea of poping the grain a bit more than just a clear coat. Do you prefer to stain or dye the wood directly at Black Swamp and lock the grain, or put the color in the sealer or top coat and let it be more "live" and move with the rotation? I have done both many times but I have never really worked on a piece of wood that looked quite like this!

You can also apply a darker stain and then sand it back, leaving the stain in the grain to pop it....

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I looked and can't find a picture of it :-(
For popping grain I prefer boiled linseed oil, let dry thoroughly, then applying a topcoat.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I found it!
E48877A7-C592-44B0-A2A1-E4F21A7F7980.jpeg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I would close out this thread with a bit of disappointing news on my steam bent project... it's was not successful! Micah told me from the start that highly figured boards were a little more susceptible to failure and he prepped this one for several weeks. It bent and steamed well but when it came out of the mold, the grain had ruptured in several places. The single most beautiful piece of cherry I had ever found and just like that, it was over, but at least I gave it a shot...oh what could have been!

Micah at Cask Drumcraft was absolutely wonderful to work with and I will 100% work with him again. I had another nice piece of cherry with more standard quilting that is being currently built into a 7X14" stave drum by Pelfrey / Punkinater and I will post pics of that when finished. But I thought I would put this steam bent project to bed with a last couple of pics and a moment of silence for a great board!

It's all good, the hunt is part of the fun... more will show up and we will have another go at it another day!

50235.jpeg

50234.jpeg

Mine was on the far left

72165723_2784375821613669_2601113648512368640_o.jpg

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry that it failed. When it comes to solid shells, sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's good to share the grief with others! LOL! Nah, i'm not upset of course, I knew this was a possibility going in to it so it was a disappointment but not anything more. The board just screamed to try it so I am glad I did.

As for whats next? Hum... I dont know. Like I said, I had found a second board at the same time and that one is coming along nicely (photos of the raw board and drum as it sits wearing sanding sealer below). I will keep my eye open in the wood piles every load and see what shows up next!

Eric, thanks again for the Cask recommendation... he was top notch all the way through the process. I completely understand this had nothing to do with their process or craftsmanship, he was really disappointed as well.

20190118_105156.jpg

50149ddd.jpeg

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would've rather seen that cherry resawed into 1/8 strips, glued up/laminated and set up in the jig. Less likely to fail, more stable than steambent and constructed from the same slab of lumber. mi dos centavos

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The thing you have to realize about figuring in wood grain is that it isn't just some pretty design in the wood. It is the grain going in directions that is not normally supposed to go so the more the figuring the more likely it will be to do exactly what your board did. The grain doesn't follow the length of the board. It is making 30 to 45 degree turns to the surface so while the board may be beautiful, structurally it is very weak and a very poor candidate for bending. Slicing it into veneer or several thinner boards as jptrickster said would be the only way to bend that first board. Even then anything thicker than a 1/16" may have been too thick to bend without having it blow apart.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've bent cherry with similar figuring and just as thick. Just sometimes something happens. I also disagree that a properly made steam bent shell is unstable. They are stable and extremely strong too. This from someone with experience in the matter.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wood being a natural substance will vary all over the place so you are right that it is a crap shoot but the more heavily it is figured the more likely it will be to blow out. I agree with you about the stability of a solid shell. I have a 50's Radio King and have seen no issues with it as far as stability. Since it is not cross laminated a solid shell will expand and contract more like any non plied piece of wood but it isn't enough to cause a problem unless the wood was of the wrong moisture content at the end of being built. Craviotto drums don't seem to be known for having stability problems.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you read my text it does not say a solid shell is unstable.

Would've rather seen that cherry resawed into 1/8 strips, glued up/laminated and set up in the jig. Less likely to fail, more stable than steambent and constructed from the same slab of lumber. mi dos centavos

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting, I am unfamiliar with the construction method you speak of, can you provide some examples? As for a one ply drum, that is what I wanted from this board (with my second favorite board now becoming a stave drum) so I am not disappointed in the decision to try. But I would like more info on the style of drum shell you speak of.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting, I am unfamiliar with the construction method you speak of, can you provide some examples? As for a one ply drum, that is what I wanted from this board (with my second favorite board now becoming a stave drum) so I am not disappointed in the decision to try. But I would like more info on the style of drum shell you speak of.

Resawing is simply taking a board and sawing it into two or more thinner boards. Usually with a bandsaw. You could saw a 3/4" thick of piece of wood into three pieces that would be somewhere around 1/8" by the time you account for the thickness of the bandsaw blade and planing the boards smooth. You can bend an 1/8" board a lot easier than a 3/4" board. You could bend them into the shape of the shell and laminate each ply just like regular drum shells are made. The only difference from a regular ply shell would be that the plies would run the same direction. You would have to have a form to place the plies into and someway to apply outward pressure from the inside of the shell to clamp all of the plies together properly.

Latest posts