Who Copies Who--Part 2

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In Part 1, I wondered which American drum company was copied the most and the conclusion is: Rogers. Now in part 2, which Asian drum company copied the other Asian drum companies the most? For example, who copied who on the diagonal seam that both Tama and Yamaha claim? They didn't both come up with this at once!!

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
News to me about Mapex---maybe Yamaha and Tama both copied from Mapex???? :shock:

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
gonzo said:
News to me about Mapex---maybe Yamaha and Tama both copied from Mapex???? :shock:

Most of these companies use similar machinery and techniques, though I believe that Tama had the diagonal thing first. Any 80's Yama RC owners out there who can shed light on this?

Although a little OT, Mapex is now the largest drum-maker in the world, eclipsing Pearl. Mapex makes most of the entry and mid-line Chinese-made kits for other brands (Tama Superstar, Ludwig Accent, Sonor Force, Premier Cabria, Pearl Forum, etc. I believe the Pearl Visions are made in Pearl's Taiwanese factory).

Tanco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl also has a Chinese factory now for the cheaper lines. I wonder where everybody is gonna go when China will pay normal wages and keep the inviroment in mind. Africa?

GCG199

Reaction score
Pearl's Chinese factory was made just for the Visions line -- but most likely more of their products will be shifted there later on. Even Yamaha has their own Chinese factory for the new Stage Custom line.

It will be interesting to see what other countries in the near future become serious competition for industry. It looks like there will be major tax code changes in some of the formerly communist bloc Eastern European countries.

Africa still has a ways to go because of so much corrupt governments holding back progress in agriculture and industry.

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
GCG199 said:
It looks like there will be major tax code changes in some of the formerly communist bloc Eastern European countries.
Africa still has a ways to go because of so much corrupt governments holding back progress in agriculture and industry.

You're right about the former eastern bloc countries. They (and the West) have already realized the potential of their working force, but I doubt that they'll be a serious competition against the massive force of China any time soon. Plus, I am not sure that the workers of Eastern Europe and former Soviet republics are willing to work under the conditions and with the wages the Chinese do.

On the other hand, a large part of Africa is indeed ruled by corrupt governments, but good old cash is just what these governments need to turn their starving citizens into slave workers. Who knows...

Maybe the Antarctica will be the next option. I hear that penguins can be trained to built just about anything, and all they want in return is fish... :wink:

Gonzo, sorry for the off topic. BTW, I think that even when Japanese drum makers copy each other, they still copy the American companies to a large extent, with the possible exception of hardware.

Latest posts