Who Has (and Hasn't) Worked Their Way through Stick Control?

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Stick Control," Freddie Gruber stressed, "was written to assist drummers in controlling the sticks, not in developing hot licks." That's a good point, and Freddie's right. However, plenty of drummers have used "Stick Control" variations for other benefits. For example, Larry Londin used a system with the quarter note/eighth note sections to help him become a proficient studio sight reader.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lines 1-13.

I've dabbled with other pages but keep going over 1-13. I like to use it for warm ups.

All with varying tempos from day to day.

Hands - 1 minute per line
Feet - 1 minute per line - hands play rock beat.
Rt Foot, Left hand while playing RH swing ride and LF 2&4 Hi hat - 1 minute per line
Same RF and LH while playing RH Hi hat straight 8ths - 1 minute per line
For "fun" Left foot replaces Right Foot with this pattern - still working on this one.

I don't have time to work on other pages.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick Control. George L. Stone. Scenario 1.

"I don't have time to work on other pages."

"How long have you owned the book."
"Oh? I got it in 1974....."

(Ok You Pass.)
: )

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t conduct a daily study of the alphabet or grammar or spelling or sentence structure because I know how to read and write. I consider what I want to read for the benefits of reading. I can revisit any of those rudimentary things at any time if I think it’s required. Or not.

Similarly, thinking in terms of what areas in rhythm to study and how to best study those areas, rather than what books to use and how much of each book to work through, makes infinitely more sense to me.

And especially when so much of any particular book’s content is repetitive. Taking away time from something like Stick Control and mapping out an effectively balanced practice routine would pay off considerably more than extra time in Stick Control to finish the book.

It's basically the same reason why big textbooks are rarely used cover to cover. Experienced teachers map a curriculum based on time and reward. Same approach with learning and playing music for most of us.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t conduct a daily study of the alphabet or grammar or spelling or sentence structure because I know how to read and write. I consider what I want to read for the benefits of reading. I can revisit any of those rudimentary things at any time if I think it’s required. Or not.

Similarly, thinking in terms of what areas in rhythm to study and how to best study those areas, rather than what books to use and how much of each book to work through, makes infinitely more sense to me.

And especially when so much of any particular book’s content is repetitive. Taking away time from something like Stick Control and mapping out an effectively balanced practice routine would pay off considerably more than extra time in Stick Control to finish the book.

It's basically the same reason why big textbooks are rarely used cover to cover. Experienced teachers map a curriculum based on time and reward. Same approach with learning and playing music for most of us.
Once you got it , you got it! But if you don’t?

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went through it twice....once to look at the pictures and then again to play all the connect the dot games. The resulting pictures weren't too exciting and were nothing like the descriptions.....although my handwriting improved by drawing with both hands....all those L's and R's....now I can sign two cheques at once.

On the other hand I never go "through" any drum book per se but go rather "around" the book for lack of a better term. When looking at the pictures..??..I may glance through the book and see if an exercise or page piques my interest at the time and go from there....
bt

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Music school in college...………….
Snare drum private lessons required the first book to be STICK CONTROL for everyone.
The second book was always Podemski.

Reactions: JDA

mtug

Reaction score
I worked through many parts of this book years ago. Now I use just the first few pages for warm-up.

Attachments

Stixkubwa

Reaction score

Indeed. Stick Control can be regarded as a text book for drummer musicians and is always available throughout a career. Like any other text book we can select parts which develop our skills and knowledge on our instrument as we feel necessary. It is probably very rare for any text book to be followed and imbibed cover to cover. Cheers

bjisteve

Reaction score
Lately I've been playing the 1st 3 pages with my feet while playing some kind of ostinatto with my hands - singles, doubles, paradiddles, cascara/clave. There's a million ways to work those 3 pages.