Who has experience with 60’s Zildjian 24” rides?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone has a 60’s 24” Zildjian A? or played one? What weight range sounds nice in 24” size?

I assume these make great pingy rides for classic rock with good stick definition and without too much wash.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned quite a few. My faves have been in 3300 range give or take. I have had a few that were in the 2900-3000 gram range. They sounded nice as well. Very versatile cymbals.

Mike
Interesting, I wouldn’t have thought a 24” vintage A would be versatile. Were yours pingy with good stick definition? Or being that big they were loud and hard to control?

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4200 beast. Great stick/ping, no build up, good for serious hard rock stuff. Haven't really played that music for years, so it just sits in the back room.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had several. I gravitate toward the very thin ones. With 24’s, thin ones in particular, so much of the frequency range in in the subaudible spectrum. This tends to make for surprisingly controllable rides.

Late-50’s, 27xx g
All “tah”, quick crash. Very bendy/loose. Stupidly sold it.

Late 60’s, 28xx g
Stiff, more ping than tah. Medium-high pitch. Would have been nice in a louder setting than my acoustic jazz group. Sold.

Early-60’s, 25xx g
Perfection. Medium pitch, crashes fast, great bell. Not a loud cymbal.
I use this one often.

fenrir

Reaction score
I think the Brian Blade craze resulted in a lot of these being discovered, bought and sold.

If going for that sound a lighter one is a good starting point but I suspect many were disappointed at a 'vanilla tone'. Brian's sounded good because of the cracks around the bell which dried it out a lot.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone has a 60’s 24” Zildjian A? or played one? What weight range sounds nice in 24” size?

I assume these make great pingy rides for classic rock with good stick definition and without too much wash.
so you see there's a span of 1000 +/- grams possible
: )

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had several. I gravitate toward the very thin ones. With 24’s, thin ones in particular, so much of the frequency range in in the subaudible spectrum. This tends to make for surprisingly controllable rides.

Early-60’s, 25xx g
Perfection. Medium pitch, crashes fast, great bell. Not a loud cymbal.
I use this one often.
I have a 20% bronze 1950's Beverly 24" that looks and sounds like a Zildjian at 2550 gm. Your 60's description fits it perfectly. Only lacks on the volume.
Not washy at all and the stick is always clear at any volume.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned a couple and have played numerous 24's that belonged to other drummers .

Mine had flying saucer profiles that dropped abruptly at the shoulder , huge bells and an effortless reactive presence and definition . Like trampolines, a lot of fun and comfortable , like old Buick land yachts . Hand on the wheel and aim .

After my back and shoulder affliction changed everything for me in 2011 , I had to move to 20"" or smaller rides with a more accessible bell or I'd have kept the last 24 . Those big boys were pretty common on the bar/gigging scene into the early 70's around Ottawa .

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a thin 50s 24 that is wonderful, and I use that for jazz. It’s been too long since I’ve played with my quartet though, so I haven’t played that cymbal in a while. I had been playing mainly church gigs for the past while, and I generally rotate between a few new Ks on those gigs. But I’m about to bust out my little Gretsch kit and put the old 24 back on the stand.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a thin 50s 24 that is wonderful, and I use that for jazz. It’s been too long since I’ve played with my quartet though, so I haven’t played that cymbal in a while. I had been playing mainly church gigs for the past while, and I generally rotate between a few new Ks on those gigs. But I’m about to bust out my little Gretsch kit and put the old 24 back on the stand.
Cool, do you know approximate weight? It appears the ones that would fit jazz setting are the lighter ones (~25##-28##gr) and the ones 30##gr+ you get into rock territory and stiffer cymbals with good ping, especially if it is from the 60’s. Since I am looking to use a 24” for rock stuff (pingy), would a heavier example be crashable? Don’t have much experience with it.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine is I think 2791 grams. I got it from Steve Maxwell long ago. For rock, it could be more of a crash ride. I like it for jazz...

Steve Smith used a heavy old A 24 with Journey, so if you need ping, get a heavy one. The heavy ones are easy to find.

curly

Reaction score
One of my favorite cymbals is a 24 60s A that is around 3200 grams with lots of patina, a little bit of edge warp, and lots of miles on it. Feels and sounds perfect for me in the settings I've used it in and its quite versatile. Small combo settings to organ trio to much louder. They exist but are harder to find these days.

A couple of cell phone videos that don't do it justice.

curly

Reaction score
Cool, do you know approximate weight? It appears the ones that would fit jazz setting are the lighter ones (~25##-28##gr) and the ones 30##gr+ you get into rock territory and stiffer cymbals with good ping, especially if it is from the 60’s. Since I am looking to use a 24” for rock stuff (pingy), would a heavier example be crashable? Don’t have much experience with it.
This may fit what you looking for:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This may fit what you looking for:

The sound is pretty nice, this is exactly what I am looking for, not much wash buildup and nice stick definition with some crashability. Is the price right though? $400 total, I wish it did not have keyholing.

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
The sound is pretty nice, this is exactly what I am looking for, not much wash buildup and nice stick definition with some crashability. Is the price right though? $400 total, I wish it did not have keyholing.
So for me, yes, I think the price is a bit on the higher end for the weight and condition.

Steve's data through 2017 is a pretty good indicator, though it might not capture the current market. Here is the overall distribution of prices by era.

1622513989402.png

Here's the key, weight.

1622514091891.png

If its not exactly what you want, probably not worth pursuing. Never hurts putting in an offer though.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The keyhole just tells you it is a good cymbal..as it takes a LONG time for it to get that way..(without a sleeve,of course)

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
so you see there's a span of 1000 +/- grams possible
: )
I had a 70s 24for yrs
Bell sounded like a fire alarm!
The mid area was the best area to ride,the rest was wassshhh!

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
That 70s 24 heavy I just sold too Mewing has a bell that could cut through anything. Has great stick sound and With some moongel it could be used with blues.