Who has heard this Vinnie Colaiuta album?

LauraCai

Reaction score
I was not aware of it so listened to it now. I like it. Other than Keisha’s Theme, the other short tracks primarily highlight Vinnie’s astounding prowess with some backing mainly as a soundbed for accompaniment. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
That's pretty wild. Makes sense that Sting heard this and asked Vinnie C to play "If You Love Someone, Set Them Free" at his live shows.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And here's Vinnie's next one also due this year so within the next few weeks I would guess.
Here's the advertisement slogan for the titled
Mother's Milk...you ready?
GRAMMY AWARD WINNERS BRING YOU MUSIC TO MURDER CHEATING HUSBANDS TO

Attachments

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just to make sure everyone is aware - this music has not to been created to sell to music fans - like say, Vinnie's first self titled album was. These recordings are marketed straight at music supervisors. Tons of even big budget video productions - TV shows, etc. are made without specifically hiring a composer. The Sopranos is a great example of this - there was no composer hired to write music for that series. Instead there was a music supervisor and /or music editor hired to find all of the music used in the series from pre-existing recordings... not just the songs, but the underscore itself was all pieced together from music already created.

Needless to say - with 500 channels and seemingly 8 million shows being produced yearly - this quicker and cheaper approach is incredibly popular with producers. The aesthetic good or bad of this is a whole other debate - but creating original "library" music for music editors to pursue has become a major potential source of income fro composers.

Every piece of music broadcast must have its mandatory composer's copyright fees paid and some sort of mechanical license paid to use the recording - even at the minimums these can add up to making it worthwhile to front the expense of the recording and production (as Extreme Music is doing here). Place a few tracks in the right places and the whole project is payed off.

So these CD's are demonstration disks resulting from Vinnie and the folks at Extreme partnering to produce some tracks they think might interest music supervisors and editors - actual catalogs of music available to be used. The CD's allow editors to "try before you buy" - which makes sense as all the money is generated on the back end. Why charge a buck or two for folks to try it - when the real payday comes from them actually using it?

Anyway a huge - behind the scenes - music market.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to make sure everyone is aware - this music has not to been created to sell to music fans - like say, Vinnie's first self titled album was. These recordings are marketed straight at music supervisors. Tons of even big budget video productions - TV shows, etc. are made without specifically hiring a composer. The Sopranos is a great example of this - there was no composer hired to write music for that series. Instead there was a music supervisor and /or music editor hired to find all of the music used in the series from pre-existing recordings... not just the songs, but the underscore itself was all pieced together from music already created.

Needless to say - with 500 channels and seemingly 8 million shows being produced yearly - this quicker and cheaper approach is incredibly popular with producers. The aesthetic good or bad of this is a whole other debate - but creating original "library" music for music editors to pursue has become a major potential source of income fro composers.

Every piece of music broadcast must have its mandatory composer's copyright fees paid and some sort of mechanical license paid to use the recording - even at the minimums these can add up to making it worthwhile to front the expense of the recording and production (as Extreme Music is doing here). Place a few tracks in the right places and the whole project is payed off.

So these CD's are demonstration disks resulting from Vinnie and the folks at Extreme partnering to produce some tracks they think might interest music supervisors and editors - actual catalogs of music available to be used. The CD's allow editors to "try before you buy" - which makes sense as all the money is generated on the back end. Why charge a buck or two for folks to try it - when the real payday comes from them actually using it?

Anyway a huge - behind the scenes - music market.
I understand what you are saying. But what does this have to do with it being on Vinnies Website for us drummers to listen to? Should I ask Admin to delete the post here? Let me know.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. But what does this have to do with it being on Vinnies Website for us drummers to listen to? Should I ask Admin to delete the post here? Let me know.
My post doesn't really have anything to with "it being on Vinnie's Website for us drummers to listen to" - because I can't find that it is on his website - viwnniecoliauta.com - at all. If you could link where you saw it on his site, that would be great.

As far as drummers listening to it, I can't imagine he or anyone else would be opposed to that at all. Again, not what my post was about. Which was to explain what market this music was created for. Sure they - plus the Hard Candy release with film composer, Mark Isham, are available on Apple Music, etc. for anyone to listen to, purchase and enjoy. Why not? It's just extra gravy money. But music consumers - including drummers - are not the target audience for these. They do not represent Vinnie's newest statement as a recording artist. They are Vinnie helping to create library music for the media.

Which isn't to say it's not interesting to hear... for what it is. That's what my post was about.... making a clarification as to what these are... and aren't. They are soundscapes... no real melodies, no real forms, structure - beginnings, mindless, ends - as those kinds of creations aren't usually of that much use as underscore for a crime thriller or jazz flavored space adventure or whatever new Netflix series needs underscoring :) Really all great stuff - I just can't listen to too mucho fit at a time. Because each track rarely ever goes anywhere - by design, of course. Sort of like intense, aggressive ambient music. :)

So that's all I was doing was clarifying for those that might not know. So why would anyone be asking anyone to delete anything???

At least on my computer, both of your links just go to displaying a jpg photo - so here's some links to the Extreme Music site, where there's a player to listen to each release, I believe, in its entirety...

Mother's Milk

Descent Into Madness

Hard Candy

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay got it, I misunderstood. I just thought I posted something that I shouldn’t have posted cause they are not intended for consumers per se. But I understand, thanks. If you go on Vinnies website go under Discography and the albums are there. Click on the album name and it will either open a track listing or take you to another site, in this case, Extreme Music where each track is listed. I haven’t listened just was asking if anyone heard the tracks.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Okay got it, I misunderstood. I just thought I posted something that I shouldn’t have posted cause they are not intended for consumers per se. But I understand, thanks. If you go on Vinnies website go under Discography and the albums are there. Click on the album name and it will either open a track listing or take you to another site, in this case, Extreme Music where each track is listed. I haven’t listened just was asking if anyone heard the tracks.
No problem - and I think it's great you posted it. Besides it being some interesting and unusual music - I think it is a great example of how a career in music has become a "leave no stones unturned" sort of operation... even for a first call, five star player like Vinnie. And how no matter how busy you are - creating a means to receive "mailbox money" is never a dumb idea.

Again thanks for raising the topic....