Who invented the common way of counting 16ths?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Good question. I wish I had the answer. There are a number of mnemonics floating around that use fruits, food and other things as an alternative way to count. Here is one example. I'll post others later. I know that does not answer your question, but apparently there are folks who don't know or cannot remember the tried and true method, which has spawned alternatives:

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The linked article says Haskall Harr was the one that came up with the system. Still, cool that I now have an answer!
Bear in mind that that system only works with English. Other languages will give strange results. The method is based on the fact that there is a single syllable in how numbers 1 through 4 are pronounced. In English each of those words are single syllable. Imagine trying to count 16ths in this language: Isa (2 syllables), dalawa (3 syllables), tatlo (2 syllables), apat (2 syllables) :)

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or even Italian - uno (2 syllables), due (2 syllables), tre, quattro (2 syllables).
But Chinese works - i, ar, san, ss
i-ah-he-uh, ar-ah-he-uh, san-ah-he-uh, ss-ah-he-uh
Now I'm curious how all the great Italian musicians count their 16ths.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you count triplets?

I count them as... one-la-lee, two-la-lee, three-la-lee, four-la-lee

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was taught 1 e and da

and was always perplexed that others were taught 1 e and ah

It was much later then in actually practice - either way ends up being pronounced exactly the same...

For those that count 1 e and ah - at any reasonable tempo above slow, don't you put the "d" of "and" right on the 4th 1/16ths

Just I never actually pronounced the "d" in "and" and the "d" in "da" - also opting to just articulate the last one.... making it 1 E An Da

Which can be said wicked fast when needed.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not exactly on topic, but related is this Adam Neely discussion. I subscribe to his channel because of interesting topics like this :)
So se Tschörmäns did it, ja? :D

Seriously, this topic goes deeper than you first think: a lot of singers, violinists etc. are much less clear about the grid we drummers use so freely, because we often play the subdivisions, whereas the "long-note musicians" play or sing over them. As a drummer singing in a choir, I'm reminded of this quite often. To my fellow singers a dotted quarter note seems to mean "somewhat longer than a quarter, but not quite a half note" - instead of being clearly defined as 3 eighth notes combined.
On the other hand, I sometimes have to be reminded of phrasing lines instead of just lining up notes.

Another thing to ponder: counting eight note as "1&2&..."and 16ths as "1e&d..." is only correct if the quarter note is the counted note value - you could also be counting half notes: in 2/2 time (alla breve). Here, half notes are the counts, quarter notes are the "1&2&", and eighth notes are the "1e&d..." subdivision.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bear in mind that that system only works with English. Other languages will give strange results. The method is based on the fact that there is a single syllable in how numbers 1 through 4 are pronounced. In English each of those words are single syllable. Imagine trying to count 16ths in this language: Isa (2 syllables), dalawa (3 syllables), tatlo (2 syllables), apat (2 syllables) :)
I learned to drum in english, but I live in a french speaking provinces so I teach more often in french. The french equivalent is " double croche", literally 16th note (dou-ble-chro-che) which works, but doesn't let you know which quarter note you are on. Triplet is "tri-o-let".

toddbishop

Reaction score
This is what I use with my grade school students, I find the references are more relatable to today's young people.

re: 1e&a: You see a bunch of different syllables used in older books-- "1-ta-&-ta", etc. I think #e&a became standard because it's easy to say fast as one word, and it also works as a kind of solfege-- you can refer to the 'e' or 'a' of the beat, and people know which note you're talking about; and it's good for counting broken rhythms.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Another thing to ponder: counting eight note as "1&2&..."and 16ths as "1e&d..." is only correct if the quarter note is the counted note value - you could also be counting half notes: in 2/2 time (alla breve). Here, half notes are the counts, quarter notes are the "1&2&", and eighth notes are the "1e&d..." subdivision.
In 2/2 I either count normally in 4, or count it like 2/4, with 1e&a 2e&a (assuming a measure of 8th notes there).

I never saw a decent way of counting 16ths in #/8 meters. If I have to count out a rhythm for a student, I have to count the 8th notes w/&s-- 1&2&3& etc.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught 1 e and da

It was much later then in actually practice - either way ends up being pronounced exactly the same...

For those that count 1 e and ah - at any reasonable tempo above slow, don't you put the "d" of "and" right on the 4th 1/16ths

Just I never actually pronounced the "d" in "and" and the "d" in "da" - also opting to just articulate the last one.... making it 1 E An Da

Precisely the way I learned . The extra ' d ' can be troublesome , so stringing it together helps to make the phrase more fluid .

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Just FTR my brother is musically illiterate, and I doubt he counts music at all.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was taught 1 e and da

Not when you have full dentures...:toothy5:
bt