header.nohb.html

Who is happily playing a cheapo kit?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had vintage Premier, Ludwig, Pearl drums and I still have my vintage Premier kit, and everytime I went to GC and saw some new kits in person I could never ever like them, not appealing, just no character or mojo for me. Maybe it was because the drums I saw were not that nice in person but I also saw a classic maple black oyster at Pro drum, still didn’t cut it for me, character-wise. (No offense)
However, earlier this year I found a $500 Sonor kit (Poplar) kit with a shallow 20” bass and 10” tom and 14” floor and honestly I have fell in love with this kit. The projection from these shells is just amazing, the bass drum sounds so nice and sweet, hardware is great and I am just overall very impressed. It makes me forget about the mojo and sound vintage kits have.
So, I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has been surprised by a cheapo kit that made them wanna play the drums all the time.
This happens a lot with snares too…

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had vintage Premier, Ludwig, Pearl drums and I still have my vintage Premier kit, and everytime I went to GC and saw some new kits in person I could never ever like them, not appealing, just no character or mojo for me. Maybe it was because the drums I saw were not that nice in person but I also saw a classic maple black oyster at Pro drum, still didn’t cut it for me, character-wise. (No offense)
However, earlier this year I found a $500 Sonor kit (Poplar) kit with a shallow 20” bass and 10” tom and 14” floor and honestly I have fell in love with this kit. The projection from these shells is just amazing, the bass drum sounds so nice and sweet, hardware is great and I am just overall very impressed. It makes me forget about the mojo and sound vintage kits have.
So, I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has been surprised by a cheapo kit that made them wanna play the drums all the time.
Sounds like the Sonor Player kit. Have one and absolutely love it. Replaced the kick hoops / claws and added some memory locks on the spurs and FT legs, and it’s absolutely a kit I’m happy to use anywhere.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like the Sonor Player kit. Have one and absolutely love it. Replaced the kick hoops / claws and added some memory locks on the spurs and FT legs, and it’s absolutely a kit I’m happy to use anywhere.
Yup!!! I love it. I think these relatively inexpensive Sonor kits have a great sound and quality. The new AQ stuff too.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I look at a specific brand name I have an overall idea of what to expect however in my experience I’ve learned that regardless of brand name or a certain generalized collective opinion- there are good drums and there are not so good drums. There’s no such thing as a bad drum. Even my 60’s stencil kit got me through a bunch of my first gigs with flying colors
Sounds like you found some good drums!

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Sonor Player Kit. I've been super close to pulling the trigger on one a bunch of different times, but never got one. But I wouldn't hesitate, and have played cheaper kits before with no problems at all. It's 90% heads and tuning anyways.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t familiar with Sonor’s Player kit but looked them up. They look pretty cool!

I have a fair amount of vintage kits of various makes but recently dug out a kit that I’ve had for awhile but haven’t done anything with. It’s the Odery Cafe kit that is somewhat modular: it comes with a 14” bass but has an available expansion pack with a 20” bass, allowing the 14 to become a floor tom. I got a great deal on it used and it’ll eventually end up with the grandkids but for now I’m gonna hog it.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn’t familiar with Sonor’s Player kit but looked them up. They look pretty cool!

I have a fair amount of vintage kits of various makes but recently dug out a kit that I’ve had for awhile but haven’t done anything with. It’s the Odery Cafe kit that is somewhat modular: it comes with a 14” bass but has an available expansion pack with a 20” bass, allowing the 14 to become a floor tom. I got a great deal on it used and it’ll eventually end up with the grandkids but for now I’m gonna hog it.
Nice, I don’t think I have seen that. Which model is that?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 18006DA5-0DE2-493B-8F1D-E638E8DFEF01.jpeg
    18006DA5-0DE2-493B-8F1D-E638E8DFEF01.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 54

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm still rocking my Pearl World Series that I've had since I was 14. Too much sentimental value to give it up. I upgraded it with optimounts and cut the power toms down. Sounds killer with clear Emperors. Don't have much use for the snare that came with it though. It doesn't have the balls my Classic Maples do, but that's not the only sound that sounds good.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never knew these had expansion bass drum. It’s a pretty cool drum set.
They are kinda cool and different. Mine is the copper sparkle version. I picked it up along with the expansion bass and all the hardware for half of the new price. Certainly can’t complain about that.

Attachments

• 6BBE1E96-E332-4B0F-AD5B-2B484D931958.jpeg
    6BBE1E96-E332-4B0F-AD5B-2B484D931958.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 24

rsmittee

Reaction score
I mostly gig, when I did gig, my Catalina Club bop set. It's been hot-rodded and sounds great, even the snare.
I bought my Catalina Clubs on a whim because the LDS had a demo set at a bargain price. I intended to use it as a quieter practice kit to be kind to my neighbors, but I just love the way that kit sounds. I added a 20" bass drum, and have used it on many gigs and recordings. You'd never know how inexpensive they are just by listening. The snare was a pleasant surprise that works great for jazz.

It was because of the Catalina quality that I bought my Renowns. Figured if Gretsch can make their cheapo drums sound this good, the Renowns will be great. I haven't been disappointed.

Also, based on recommendations here, I bought a set of Stage Customs to be the practice kit the Catalinas were supposed to be, and I'm absolutely loving them too. The 20x17 bass drum is just great, and even with the UT heads, the toms tune up beautifully. Maybe some day I'll sell all the cheap drums and buy a high-end kit, but I can't bring myself to part with any of what I have while it still sounds so good to me.

Attachments

• 20220531_125559.jpg
    20220531_125559.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220917_141509.jpg
    20220917_141509.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had that same experience with a Sonor Force 507 kit. Bought it as a knock around kit, but when I got it home, I set it up and played it non-stop with no music for almost an hour. I just loved the sound, and I regret that one day I found it to be surplus to my needs and sold it...for a loss! I fully intend on finding another one.

Dan

5stroke

Reaction score
I also have a Sonor Player's Kit-- that I bought used- and have been using it as one of my 2 go-to kits for the last 6 years. With Remo heads on the drums/bass drum it sounds just fine and due to the 20" width BD, it's a pleasure to pack into the car and onto tight stage footprints. The BD works well when mic'd up. I haven't been using the snare drum when gigging with the kit, but recently discovered the snare sounds thicker w/a Remo Emperor batter, and along with some muffling it works well for a light trio I'm in. Couldn't be happier with it.

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Remo 22" bass drum for $38 and love the sound of it. Now keeping an eye out to make a set. Super impressed by the sound of it.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also have a Sonor Player's Kit-- that I bought used- and have been using it as one of my 2 go-to kits for the last 6 years. With Remo heads on the drums/bass drum it sounds just fine and due to the 20" width BD, it's a pleasure to pack into the car and onto tight stage footprints. The BD works well when mic'd up. I haven't been using the snare drum when gigging with the kit, but recently discovered the snare sounds thicker w/a Remo Emperor batter, and along with some muffling it works well for a light trio I'm in. Couldn't be happier with it.
Remo Powerstroke P77 on the snare makes it sing.