Who is still using Bosphorus on your Jazz gigs...even though you can afford anything?

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like many of you, I have bounced around over the last thirty years from Zildjian, Sabian, Bosphorus, AGOP, Crescent, etc. Of course, never really finding Nirvana but I suspect it lies with Old Ks. None the less...just wondering if I've missed much from Bosphorus in the last 5-6 years? I'm leaning a little away from lighter, trashier cymbals... but anything I should check out with Bos these days?

Any other comments-Pros and Cons about Bosphorus? I was a big fan when they were cheaper ten-fifteen years ago..but now at pretty much the same price as all others, I think the value isn't that large anymore.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditional, Hammer maybe a little Antique are closest to plain old Good turkish symbol In other words Syncopation Black Pearl possibly weirder you get away from basic= less satisfaction.
I'm sold on them. (wasn't sold on Paiste (enough) wasn't sold on Istanbul (lord I tried-nope) New As and Ks- nice- but occasionally ( I hear the computer hand in them and they don't cater to 18s enough and 19s are expensive)..

What's that leave?
The Bosphorus breeze...

No don't have the "old K bell" but from 70 ft who's counting..
Bosphorus perform well
That's a difference from nit-picking That's a wider view of what we're doing up there on stage behind the drums in a park in a small room wherever etc.
Performing
Bosphorus give a good performance
I like em
well the used Price is right too but they got me off my old Ks...and no other cymbal did that ( new AK's could but they're loud and or/ expensive

Bosphorus makes it/ made it/ easy..
They have some of that true "Turkish air" in them.
The Bosphorus Breeze.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until a friend of the band Flugelhorn player came up out of the audience to sit in one tune no clams were played but all Bosphorus can hear how they sound 120 ft away un mic'ed (ha

There. That's proof, right? (lol.
they make a good 'showing ..a good performance
(ha
all that matters right

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I have yet to gig them, through the quarantine, I have added several Bosphorus cymbals to my collection.

I am really liking them, and think they are very versatile cymbals. I agree with JDA about their sound and feel.

Here is the most recent. A 22" Jazz Master Ride from the Masters line. 2100 grams even. Even at that light weight it has plenty of presence. Tall profile with a very present "tah" and nice shimmering wash, nice bell too. My current go-to jazz setup is this ride, 15" Antique Dark Hats 1020/1200, 19" Traditional Thin Crash 1520 g., 18" Latin series Crash 1328 g.

Bos JM22.jpg

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like many of you, I have bounced around over the last thirty years from Zildjian, Sabian, Bosphorus, AGOP, Crescent, etc. Of course, never really finding Nirvana but I suspect it lies with Old Ks. None the less...just wondering if I've missed much from Bosphorus in the last 5-6 years? I'm leaning a little away from lighter, trashier cymbals... but anything I should check out with Bos these days?

Any other comments-Pros and Cons about Bosphorus? I was a big fan when they were cheaper ten-fifteen years ago..but now at pretty much the same price as all others, I think the value isn't that large anymore.
I don’t get this economic angle. I bought Bos 20 years ago because I liked the sound and still do. Cheaper was never a consideration. Even if you went “more expensive”, what would you buy instead?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of them. I'm really impressed and I got a lot of compliments when I took the Syncopation Series cymbals out on jazz gigs. I do think I'm going to go back to using mostly/all K Cons, but that's not a slight on Bosphorus.

I have a set of Traditionals, too-- a 22" ride, 19" crash, and 13" hats. Very nice!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 21" Syncopation Ride SW w/ 3 rivets.
I loved that thing. Too light for my current project, though.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Just picked up a 21" Masters (1857g) that I coupled with 14" Masters hats on my last gig. Here is a cut from that. Please forgive some of my slop; I was rather excited to be playing again and forced some things. Mic was pretty close to the drums, so they come in a little hotter than the mix was likely out front.

https://soundcloud.com/user-323949086%2Fthere-will-never-be-another-you

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of them. I'm really impressed and I got a lot of compliments when I took the Syncopation Series cymbals out on jazz gigs.
Haven't played any of these in person yet, but they seem a nice addition to the Bos program, a bit dirtier, more trashy.
I think I haven't heard any low-pitched sounding rides from Bos, even though they make those paperthin, large, Turk-style etc. efforts. Something about them seems to focus the overtones on the high end. Low undercurrent yes, but no throatiness, for lack of a better term. The Syncopation series might be an exception. For example Mehmet might not be trashy either, but they have some very low-pitched cymbals.

I only own one Bos, and I got it specifically because it was pure and clean sounding. Not always fond of that sound, but sometimes it's very nice, for example in a lively room, or with piano/vibes. Even though it's made differently, it has a slight 602 vibe to me, think Billy Higgins.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
never really finding Nirvana but I suspect it lies with Old Ks.
Let's take a Trip thru the Era's. Cost us nothing Cost him a small fortune..

Let us Begin..at the beginning. Be aware may want to pause in-between videos to catch your b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ mind. Ready?..proceed.

~
~
~
~
missing: type IV, Intermediate, New Stamps.
But a precise display of the old stamps including (back as far as) K Constantinople !! (geezus

"even-though-you-can-afford-anything." certainly applies here and the ability to "find them" took some extraordinary global effort

Last edited:

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 21" Masters (which is now sadly cracked) remains my favorite cymbal I've EVER owned.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's take a Trip thru the Era's. Cost us nothing Cost him a small fortune..

Let us Begin..at the beginning. Be aware may want to pause in-between videos to catch your b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ mind. Ready?..proceed.

~
~
~
~
missing: type IV, Intermediate, New Stamps.
But a precise display of the old stamps including (back as far as) K Constantinople !! (geezus

"even-though-you-can-afford-anything." certainly applies here and the ability to "find them" took some extraordinary global effort
Great video demonstrations. Thanks Joe!

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like the Masters series. Most Bos I've heard or played sounded great. Still most of my cymbals are old Avedis. I agree the Bosphorus cymbals capture the old K sound as good or better than many of the other made-in-Istanbul cymbals.

NorthCoastDrummer

Reaction score
I have a 22” Master Vintage, a 19” Master Vintage, and 14” Hammer series hi-hats. I also own a few K Cons and a couple of Bettis. The 22” MV in particular is amazing. I sold a 22” Master because it was just too light, resulting in a bodiless sound.

Although I love Bosphorus, I do feel as though there really isn’t much variation sound-wise in their lines. I think they all have the same, bowed profile (which explains their lack of low-pitched cymbals) and I think they only have two bells to choose from that aren’t very different from each other.

Last edited: