Who is still using Bosphorus on your Jazz gigs...even though you can afford anything?

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like many of you, I have bounced around over the last thirty years from Zildjian, Sabian, Bosphorus, AGOP, Crescent, etc. Of course, never really finding Nirvana but I suspect it lies with Old Ks. None the less...just wondering if I've missed much from Bosphorus in the last 5-6 years? I'm leaning a little away from lighter, trashier cymbals... but anything I should check out with Bos these days?

Any other comments-Pros and Cons about Bosphorus? I was a big fan when they were cheaper ten-fifteen years ago..but now at pretty much the same price as all others, I think the value isn't that large anymore.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Traditional, Hammer maybe a little Antique are closest to plain old Good turkish symbol In other words Syncopation Black Pearl possibly weirder you get away from basic= less satisfaction.
I'm sold on them. (wasn't sold on Paiste (enough) wasn't sold on Istanbul (lord I tried-nope) New As and Ks- nice- but occasionally ( I hear the computer hand in them and they don't cater to 18s enough and 19s are expensive)..

What's that leave?
The Bosphorus breeze...

No don't have the "old K bell" but from 70 ft who's counting..
Bosphorus perform well
That's a difference from nit-picking That's a wider view of what we're doing up there on stage behind the drums in a park in a small room wherever etc.
Performing
Bosphorus give a good performance
I like em
well the used Price is right too but they got me off my old Ks...and no other cymbal did that ( new AK's could but they're loud and or/ expensive

Bosphorus makes it/ made it/ easy..
They have some of that true "Turkish air" in them.
The Bosphorus Breeze.

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Though I have yet to gig them, through the quarantine, I have added several Bosphorus cymbals to my collection.

I am really liking them, and think they are very versatile cymbals. I agree with JDA about their sound and feel.

Here is the most recent. A 22" Jazz Master Ride from the Masters line. 2100 grams even. Even at that light weight it has plenty of presence. Tall profile with a very present "tah" and nice shimmering wash, nice bell too. My current go-to jazz setup is this ride, 15" Antique Dark Hats 1020/1200, 19" Traditional Thin Crash 1520 g., 18" Latin series Crash 1328 g.

Bos JM22.jpg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like many of you, I have bounced around over the last thirty years from Zildjian, Sabian, Bosphorus, AGOP, Crescent, etc. Of course, never really finding Nirvana but I suspect it lies with Old Ks. None the less...just wondering if I've missed much from Bosphorus in the last 5-6 years? I'm leaning a little away from lighter, trashier cymbals... but anything I should check out with Bos these days?

Any other comments-Pros and Cons about Bosphorus? I was a big fan when they were cheaper ten-fifteen years ago..but now at pretty much the same price as all others, I think the value isn't that large anymore.
I don’t get this economic angle. I bought Bos 20 years ago because I liked the sound and still do. Cheaper was never a consideration. Even if you went “more expensive”, what would you buy instead?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of them. I'm really impressed and I got a lot of compliments when I took the Syncopation Series cymbals out on jazz gigs. I do think I'm going to go back to using mostly/all K Cons, but that's not a slight on Bosphorus.

I have a set of Traditionals, too-- a 22" ride, 19" crash, and 13" hats. Very nice!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a 21" Syncopation Ride SW w/ 3 rivets.
I loved that thing. Too light for my current project, though.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Just picked up a 21" Masters (1857g) that I coupled with 14" Masters hats on my last gig. Here is a cut from that. Please forgive some of my slop; I was rather excited to be playing again and forced some things. Mic was pretty close to the drums, so they come in a little hotter than the mix was likely out front.

https://soundcloud.com/user-323949086%2Fthere-will-never-be-another-you

Latest posts