Who Is The Best Cymbal Player?

Drm1979

Reaction score
I would also add travis Barker. He has a very unique way of playing his cymbals as if they are another drum instead of a cymbal.

Nyama74

Reaction score
According to Louie Bellson, it was Jo Jones:

“I remember one of the last jazz festivals in Newport, George Wein decided to get all the drummers he thought were top echelon at the time. Buddy [Rich] was there Mel Lewis, Elvin Jones, Roy Haynes, maybe two or three other players [including Louie]. Buddy did his thing, pulling out all the stops. I did everything I could with two bass drums. Elvin played real well. Everybody just – boom! – played hard and creatively.

Came time for Jo Jones; he went out with a high-hat and pair of sticks and tore everybody apart. We all threw up our hands and said, ‘Okay, you got it, man. That’s all.’ No drum set. Just the high-hat. And he broke it up.”

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Klook, hands down.
If it weren't for Klook, we'd ALL be using cymbals very differently these days.....

stuart s

Reaction score
I am
I go from one to another, never married to just one
just a suave player :toothy10:

Drm1979

Reaction score
Also add ginger baker to this list. He always seems to know just which cymbals to use to make the song sound great.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I believe Dave Abruzzese from Pearl Jam was booted because they felt he used too many cymbal crashes. My vote is Weckle