header.nohb.html

Who Is the Best Drummer You've Seen This Year?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was not a fan of the show, Rog is so depressing and fake, but Joey Waronker is a killer player. Really enjoy his sound and groove. He can play those Floyd tunes so well, and has a real dead sound which fits and is massive. Highlight of the show.

Saw Marc Laflamme with The Musical Box, he nails those crazy Phil parts in the Lamb and pulls off vocals.

Marc is from my area, I saw TMB in Montreal feb 2020. He was crazy good...

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gene Lake with Oz Noy
There's an album from way back in the early 90s by Sax/flute/composer guy Henry Threadgil, Live at Concpets that has Gene Lake on it and his playing is really fantastic. It's kind of a swinging, polyrythmic funk thing where he seems to be playing 8 different things at once.... while somehow still leaving room for the contributions of the other players.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's an album from way back in the early 90s by Sax/flute/composer guy Henry Threadgil, Live at Concpets that has Gene Lake on it and his playing is really fantastic. It's kind of a swinging, polyrythmic funk thing where he seems to be playing 8 different things at once.... while somehow still leaving room for the contributions of the other players.
Gene is world class - One night he's with Steve Coleman or the Screaming Headless Torsos, and the next, just laying down some R&B behind Meshell.

KillinBill66

Reaction score
His album, Too Much Sugar for a Dime, used to be heavy in my rotation. Thanks for the reminder to listen again!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just realized I've seen zero drummers perform so far this year. I was hoping to see Haken but then a gig popped up that night.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great band in its day, but Rick Derringer wasn’t on the original recording…Ronnie Montrose was ;) I guess that’s being nitpicky, eh?
I was gonna dip my oar in as well on that one lol although I always enjoy Edgar with Derringer!

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This guy (Eddie Metz). He is local, but performs internationally. Not only is he an exceptional drummer, but he is a nice guy.

You got that right. I only worked with him a couple times and it’s been years but he is about as good as it gets.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
You got that right. I only worked with him a couple times and it’s been years but he is about as good as it gets.
I had the best seat in the house when I shot that video. I was maybe two meters away and his sense of dynamics was amazing. My wife and I were able to converse that close in normal voices. In fact the only thing mic'd that night was Nicki's (the bassist's) vocal mic. Here is another from that night that showcases Eddie's taste and musicality:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a few weeks I’ll see Nicko McBrain live so that will seal up 2022 for me.

2and4

Reaction score
Finally got to see Jay Bellerose w Alison Krauss and Robert Plant. Amazing drummer with a unique approach.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jon Reilly, percussionist/drummer for the Band Dispatch. Saw them with OAR last Saturday in Highland Park Illinois.
If you haven't seen Dispatch put them on your list, they are awesome! That OAR band was outstanding as well!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Me, my brother and a friend promote a jazz festival each summer in my hometown.
This year Petter Bergander Trio played, with Robert Ikiz on drums!

BKeeper

Reaction score
It's been a pretty good year so far for live music ... I hear the Live Nations are booking more shows and selling more tickets than ever before in 2022.

So, who's the best drummer you've seen this year. My candidates include:

Eloy Casagrande - Sepultura ... Eloy is one of the 10 Best Metal Drummers in the World Right Now and it was a pleasure to see him play a tiny club near me (that just got shut down, probably permanently after security fatally show and underaged and drunk patron).

Gene Hoglan - Testament -- Technically within a year as I saw The Atomic Clock last September. So fun seeing dudes older than me play crushing metal.

Jean-Paul Gaster - Clutch - Always a thrill to see the swinginist drummer in Metal play.

Dave Lombardo - Testament - The former Slayer skinsman was great on The Bay Strikes Back Tour.

Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse -- Oh, we may never recapture the magic of was really my first metal show of 2022 -- back when one could reasonably take an Uber 20 miles. Sold out show.

Sorry, can't decide, though the rare chance to see Lombardo probably gives him the edge.

Looking forward to your picks.
My wife
Was not a fan of the sho

It's been a pretty good year so far for live music ... I hear the Live Nations are booking more shows and selling more tickets than ever before in 2022.

So, who's the best drummer you've seen this year. My candidates include:

Eloy Casagrande - Sepultura ... Eloy is one of the 10 Best Metal Drummers in the World Right Now and it was a pleasure to see him play a tiny club near me (that just got shut down, probably permanently after security fatally show and underaged and drunk patron).

Gene Hoglan - Testament -- Technically within a year as I saw The Atomic Clock last September. So fun seeing dudes older than me play crushing metal.

Jean-Paul Gaster - Clutch - Always a thrill to see the swinginist drummer in Metal play.

Dave Lombardo - Testament - The former Slayer skinsman was great on The Bay Strikes Back Tour.

Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse -- Oh, we may never recapture the magic of was really my first metal show of 2022 -- back when one could reasonably take an Uber 20 miles. Sold out show.

Sorry, can't decide, though the rare chance to see Lombardo probably gives him the edge.

Looking forward to your picks.