header.nohb.html

Who Is the Best Drummer You've Seen This Year?

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I literally saw a drummer sprout extra limbs whilst becoming one physical entity with his kit and he was able to alter time in a way that it literally folded in on itself.

The drummer was Danny Carey and much to my dismay/pleasant surprise, no…that wasn’t a microdose.

BKeeper

Reaction score
My favorite is Brian Nevin of Big Head Todd and the Monsters. My wife and I had seen them perform in Atlanta the summer before Covid hit, then bought tickets to their Red Rocks concert scheduled for the following June in 2020. Due to Covid, the concert was cancelled in both 2020 and 2021, but we were finally able to redeem our tickets this past June. Nevin is a very solid and entertaining drummer and the entire show was quite amazing.

ogdor

Reaction score
It's been a pretty good year so far for live music ... I hear the Live Nations are booking more shows and selling more tickets than ever before in 2022.

So, who's the best drummer you've seen this year. My candidates include:

Eloy Casagrande - Sepultura ... Eloy is one of the 10 Best Metal Drummers in the World Right Now and it was a pleasure to see him play a tiny club near me (that just got shut down, probably permanently after security fatally show and underaged and drunk patron).

Gene Hoglan - Testament -- Technically within a year as I saw The Atomic Clock last September. So fun seeing dudes older than me play crushing metal.

Jean-Paul Gaster - Clutch - Always a thrill to see the swinginist drummer in Metal play.

Dave Lombardo - Testament - The former Slayer skinsman was great on The Bay Strikes Back Tour.

Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse -- Oh, we may never recapture the magic of was really my first metal show of 2022 -- back when one could reasonably take an Uber 20 miles. Sold out show.

Sorry, can't decide, though the rare chance to see Lombardo probably gives him the edge.

Looking forward to your picks.
Anika Nilles with Jeff Beck and that other guy, playing all her bass drum parts with her left foot since she broke her ankle.

Han

Reaction score
Christian Lillinger - youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k-e5qhWNnGdsg0PeZg7DOqhOyqYbpjJd8
Gerald Cleaver - youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_muCsYnD5-BYqQpdbTuvfhStXFejbYHaV8
Francisco Mela - youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kfrfz7GGV7aDlgkVEIw6v9A1Hq66McUf4
Kate Gentile - outofyourheadrecords.bandcamp.com/album/secret-people

JBludwig

Reaction score
Great topic VB! I was thinking about the same thing. I’ve seen five shows this year so far. Some of which were postponed from last year. I was thrilled to see and hear each drummer. They all were fantastic!

- David Garibaldi with Tower of Power. This guy is the Funk Master! Plays so effortlessly and blows me away every time I see them. He’s my favorite drummer of all time. Number 1 for me.

- Abe Laboriel Jr with Paul McCartney. First of all Paul was incredible! At 80 years old he sounds fantastic. They played all the hits. Abe was solid and very entertaining.

Keith Carlock with Steely Dan. This guy is a beast. He could play a shuffle beat for an hour straight without wavering. Knocked Aja out of the park! He’s a very versatile drummer which is what Donald needs for all the various styles Steely Dan brings.

Nigel Olsson with Elton John. I didn’t realize it was him at first. He still sounds fantastic and is such a tasteful drummer. Nothing over the top, just very smooth and steady. Elton had two percussionist as well that were amazing. His rhythm section was top notch.

Cindy Blackman Santana with Santana. Wow! They started the show with a drum solo! She got a huge cheer the first time they showed her on the big screen. Really cool. I’ve always liked her from the Lenny Kravitz days. Exceptional rhythm section as well. They put on a great show playing all their hits including “Hope your feeling better”.

The opener for Santana was Earth Wind and Fire with John Paris on drums. Super tight and super funky. He threw down some quick fills in between the beats that were pretty impressive. Everybody was up dancing!

JazzDoc

Reaction score
"BEST" is such a general and subjective question. But FUN!!

My favorite lately is Reinhardt Melz, drummer for Gino Vannelli - phenomenal.

Gavin Harrison's no slouch, either.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
It's been a pretty good year so far for live music ... I hear the Live Nations are booking more shows and selling more tickets than ever before in 2022.

Eloy Casagrande - Sepultura ... Eloy is one of the 10 Best Metal Drummers in the World Right Now and it was a pleasure to see him play a tiny club near me (that just got shut down, probably permanently after security fatally show and underaged and drunk patron).

Gene Hoglan - Testament -- Technically within a year as I saw The Atomic Clock last September. So fun seeing dudes older than me play crushing metal.

Jean-Paul Gaster - Clutch - Always a thrill to see the swinginist drummer in Metal play.

Dave Lombardo - Testament - The former Slayer skinsman was great on The Bay Strikes Back Tour.

Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse -- Oh, we may never recapture the magic of was really my first metal show of 2022 -- back when one could reasonably take an Uber 20 miles. Sold out show.

Sorry, can't decide, though the rare chance to see Lombardo probably gives him the edge.

Abe Laboriel Jr. With Paul McCartney in May. He sang and played his butt off on the drums. I also got to see Stan Lynch with Mike Campbell and the dirty knobs. He made all Mike’s songs groove so well

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There aren’t very many good shows that come to OKC ………

Ugh

Azoth

Reaction score

Glen Kotche -Wilco

Dale Crover - Melvins

It's been a dry summer so far.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Brent Fitz - Slash ft Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators
Garrett Whitlock - Mammoth WVH
Corey Coverstone - Dirty Honey
Ben Thatcher - Royal Blood
Daru Jones - Jack White

kdrumSTL

Reaction score
Nazir Ebo with Logan Richardson. Nazir is Justin Faulkner's younger brother, he's still only 21 I believe. It was a clinic of modern improvisational music, styles shifted from fusion to heavy metal to slummy hip-hop to everything else under the sun, and I think it was only his 2nd or 3rd show with Logan.

My jaw hasn't dropped that wide open at a drummer since the first time I heard Terreon Gully sit in duo with Marco Benevento, probably 18 years ago.

chrisr777

Reaction score
Chad Wackerman at the DW Factory Day. He played three sets and played along to master tapes of shows he did with Zappa that had the drum track removed.

2XURyCg.jpg

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
I would not say best but I was very impressed last night with Pete Thomas at the age of 68 playing a solid and very creative 2 hour set with Elvis. It was Elvis' birthday as well him at 68 too. He was showing a bit of the effects of age on stage what with dragging a bit but still rocked out hard as well as playing some great ballads. Still Pete Thomas was a real treat. Those two have been together what? Since 1977? Then there was Nick Lowe who opened and is older then them and he was sharp!