Who Is the Best Rock Drummer of 2019?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At least Matt got a year in. It was all over for him in '92 when Opiate came out and Danny Carey took over as best drummer.
Carey is probably a lot better Drummer than I even know. Undertow blew my mind as a twenty year old. My friend took me to one of their concerts and I remember sitting there thinking how dark the whole thing was, like some kind of Black Mass. I dropped them after that and never listened again.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Undertow and Lateralus are my two favorites. I remember doing Sober at a Karaoke years ago. I was not sober.
Sorry but it has to be, Jambi and Vicarious for the win. Honourable mention goes to The Pot.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Does it matter the age? If they are still playing then they are relevant.
When rock was at its height in the 70s and 80s, did many music magazine covers feature players from the 50s? Those musicians existed, they continued performing, but media tends to focus on the new, the young, the fresh, the novel. Not those we already know about.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
When rock was at its height in the 70s and 80s, did many music magazine covers feature players from the 50s? Those musicians existed, they continued performing, but media tends to focus on the new, the young, the fresh, the novel. Not those we already know about.
Exactly. There are many not listed in this “best of 2019” list. That’s why I added a few of the best.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I'll throw you a bone. Devon Taylor is probably the best young drummers out there right now.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
MD had drummers from all eras, so YES they did, from the '50's, 40's etc.
No women on that list, I'd nominate Linda Pitmon but, shes wears hats sometimes and indoor shades too, oooh!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
MD had drummers from all eras, so YES they did, from the '50's, 40's etc.
No women on that list, I'd nominate Linda Pitmon but, shes wears hats sometimes and indoor shades too, oooh!
Modern Drummer, I'm sure put vintage drummers on the cover on rare occassions, but not Creem, Crawdaddy, Hit Parader, Rolling Stone, Smash Hits, Circus, Tiger Beat, Trouser Press or Rock Scene.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Modern Drummer, I'm sure put vintage drummers on the cover on rare occassions, but not Creem, Crawdaddy, Hit Parader, Rolling Stone, Smash Hits, Circus, Tiger Beat, Trouser Press or Rock Scene.
Prove it, you make broad statements like you know everything, I think maybe you embellish on occasion.

Latest posts