Who Is The Most Famous Person You’ve Met?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sandra Bullock walked by my wife and I in a store in Austin about 15 years ago. She smiled at me and said hello, my wife didn't even notice. I didn't realize who it was until the girls at the counter commented how nice she was.

Mathew Mcconaughey is from my hometown, he's a year or so older than me but we were in Sunday School class together (believe it or not we both went to church at one time) I have a picture of us in a Christmas play

Jamie Oldaker met in local grocery store

Chris Layton also at local grocery store

When I was really young met one of the Newton Brothers.

Denver Pyle did a meet and greet in my hometown when I was a kid

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I added a couple I totally forgot about...

Jaco Pastorius - I was playing in a 50's-60's show band in 1983 in Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break I think and our sax player knew Jaco from U of F. He said, "he's coming by to sit in"! I was beside myself. Sure enough, he walks in with his fretless Jazz bass slung over his shoulder. We decided (actually he did) that we were gonna play Johnny Be Goode! And that we did. I can't tell you how I felt. The song was grooving it's ass off. He had kind words for my playing. Later after the show, I tagged along to his place with a few of the band members and he previewed Word of Mouth to us. Amazing. Nice, gracious and a fun guy. This was apparently after he had been booted from WR.

Peter Frampton & Jamie Oldacker - I replaced a drummer in a rock band who got a gig playing with PF for a minute (the drummer screwed himself out of the gig but that's another story. It was Jamie's last gig at the U of F in Miami and we got back stage passes. PF was such a cool guy but really, really short. Jamie was lovely too but we didn't chat too long. The drummer that replaced Jamie was an ass hat on roids!!!

Billy Cobham - He was playing at the old Yoshi's (on Telegraph for you Bay people) and we were there for the second show of his trio (T Lavitz on keys and Jeff Berlin on bass). There were maybe 10 people there. Billy was standing at the bar during his break (yes, they took a break) and he was very nice. I sat five feet in front of his kit. YIKES! Amazing.

David Garibaldi - Took a lesson from him that humbled me. Nice and to the point. Used to date my singer in my Petty band (yeah, the "girl") way back in the day. Know's me as Kiki's drummer...

Bo Didley - Saw him at SF airport on the curb waiting for his ride. Again, nice but reserved. We didn't want to bother him but told him how much he meant to us.

Jeff Campitelli - Taken a few lessons from him. One of the nicest and most gracious guys I've ever met and consider him a friend. He's checked my band out and is always complimentary. Some great tour stories but I can't divulge....

Jim Bogios - Again nice guy that's played a few of my kits when he's sat in with my Petty band. Funny, funny man from what I've heard since I really don't "know" him. He plays in a local cover band when not touring with Counting Crows.

Last edited:

pgm554

Reaction score
Dieter Dengler.

If any of you folks saw Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale ,it was based upon the only American soldier(Dieter) to escape from a Laos POW camp during the Vietnam war.

My cousins girlfriends sister was married to him.
He use to come over to the house and shoot pool all the time.
Never knew who he was until years after I met him.

Pretty tragic ending to his life as he was diagnosed with ALS in his early 60's and took his own life with a gun while confined to a wheelchair.

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had lunch with Jackie Mason in New York City about 15 years ago. We had a mutual friend and the three of us went to lunch while I was visiting my friend. He was very nice and spent the entire lunch insulting me in the most hilarious ways.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
As a late teen/early twenties guy growing up in Chicago, the 90's it was all Bulls all the time. I worked at a toy and hobby shop that many of the Bulls players and coaches frequented for model trains and toys for their kids. I helped Scottie Pippen, and Phil Jackson personally. My friend was also the manager at the local Barnes and Noble cafe which was just around the corner from the training facility, so we had many conversations with Jud Buechler, Steve Kerr, Bill Wennington, etc.

My Mom relays a story in the summer of 86, where she came to pick my sister and I up from summer school, which happened to be next to the townhomes that some of the Bulls players lived in. She saw a handful of kids out on the basketball court playing with two very tall guys. She pulled up and yelled it was time to go home and one of the "tall black guys" told her we were having too much fun and let us stay for a couple more minutes. After ac ouple minutes she hopped out of the car to herd us up. The tall guy, thanked her for letting us just have some fun, gave her a wink and a smile, and she realized it was Michael Jordan.
I lived in Lake Forest in the 90s and saw Bears and Bulls players jogging on my way to work each morning. I worked down the street from the Bears training facility. One day my husband and I went to a matinee movie in Vernon Hills...literally nobody was in the theater at that time of day. The lights went down and then an extremely tall guy and his girlfriend walked in. Where did they sit? Right in front of us! It was Tony Kukoc. Dude is like 7 feet tall and could have sat anywhere else! LOL!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worked a session with Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese.

Josh was the consummate professional. Super nice guy, happy to talk about music and gear. He's a human metronome. We started the recording with an 8-count click and then shut it off, for fun we decided to turn it on in the middle of the song, just to hear it in the control room, he was exactly on it, not a millisecond off. It was incredible. He nailed his parts on the first take, but always wanted a couple of other cracks at it to try something else.

Paul was very guarded and just wanted to do his own thing. Had a good conversation about (musician) Scott Walker. Got to jam with him and Tommy Stinson for a couple of minutes, which made my life.

Tommy was a sweetheart. Gregarious, friendly, and just wanted to hang out. Heck of a bass player too.

I met Ben Folds after a show at my friends' college. It was supposed to be for students only, my friend was able to sneak me in though. Told Ben the story and he was very amused by it. Super nice guy, gave us probably ten minutes of his time.

Worked a session with Peter Wolf a few years ago, he was an interesting guy. The lead engineer on the session introduced me to him and the first thing Peter said was: "hey Matt, what's your sign?" me: "Virgo." him: "we're going to get along just fine!" He shared a beer with me later that night.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
David Crosby ( CSNY) , Peter Jennings the news anchor guy , Ian Paice , Levon Helm , R.L. Burnside , hung out with coupla the guys from Nitty Gritty Dirt Band when I spent time down in Winchester VA . Alveda King , Martin Luther's niece , three years drumming for David McDonald who had a major role in Broadway's ' Cats' production , though this may stretching ' famous ' pretty thin

Doesn't get more famous - er than Levon in his NOLA club . To me, anyway .

Last edited:

Renoroger

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to spend about 45 minutes with Carl Palmer at Keith Olsen‘s studio in LA where they were mixing the box set, got to spend an evening with Greg Lake and a Hilton bar in Reno Nevada and got to watch Walter Peyton play my red Sonor kit at the BBC on Rush street!
( he asked first...) I also got to have blood sweat and tears sit in with my band in Pensacola Florida in 1975 when I was 18; very exciting and unnerving!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad worked in the movie and TV industry and my neighborhood schools were packed with celebrity kids. I went to school with Billy Eckstine, Jr. Dave Drysdale, Rick Weaver (Dennis' son) and Rick Finkelstein,who later became head of Universal and a slew of others. Rick was an assh(ole, by the way.

By request my dad worked on every film Cecil B. DeMille made from 1935 until he died. At the studios, it was probably Inger Stevens on the set of The Buccaneer. I was about 7 or 8 at the time and she took a liking to me on the sound stage and personally took me around the set, putting me in the camera boom, etc. It was a great day. I fell in love for the first time. Yul Brynner was in that film and was always a friendly nice man. I still have a B&W portrait he took of my dad on the set of the Buccaneer. Brynner was a gifted photographer and there is a photo he took of Charlton Heston and my dad on the set of t he Ten Commandments that is really cool. unfortunately in the book published by Brynner's daughter, only Heston is identified. Heston was a complete, arrogant jerk.
Dadon10Commandments.jpg

My dad also worked on all of the Jerry Lewis films made at Paramount and I remember in high school going down to the studio to watch the filming of one of them only to have the publicity guy spot me and give me copies of Gary Lewis' new album, which I never played...think I used it for a frisbee.

My best friend in high school was Rick Vaughn, whose dad Billy was the music director for Dot Records and had his own band, and a full recording studio in his backyard. Billy was as down to earth as you'd ever get. He sold his house to Sly Stone. Across the street from Rick lived and still lives Dick Van Dyke and up the street was Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Mel Blanc. I was in sixth grade, backstage in the greenroom following a lecture he presented at the University.

Two years earlier, I’d written him a letter as part of a fourth grade writing assignment. While other children wrote to their grandmothers and aunts, I chose Mr. Blanc. Several weeks later, I can still remember my mom knocking on the classroom door, to say he’d written back. Class stopped and watched as I opened his package containing a few autographed pieces, along with his handwritten letter to me, scrawled in blue pencil on Bugs Bunny stationery.

The letter is framed along with the picture my mother took of him and me a couple years later during his lecture tour. I still remember him barking at me as Fred Flinstone’s Dino, which he’d done at my request.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worked a session with Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese.
I'm a massive fan of all three. Huge Replacements fan. I love Paul's solo work, plus Tommy's band Bash and Pop put out an outstanding LP in 1994(?) called "Friday Night is Killing Me." I believe he worked with some high-end session musicians on that one...?

How long ago was this session that you speak of? And what was it for?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nancy Reagan, when I was in the second grade? Maybe 1985? I think it was Red Ribbon Week, or Just Say No, or some kind of anti-drugs campaign thing. At the time, I sort of knew she was the president's wife, but it didn't seem like a huge deal to me, because I saw her on TV quite regularly. She was very nice to us kids.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a massive fan of all three. Huge Replacements fan. I love Paul's solo work, plus Tommy's band Bash and Pop put out an outstanding LP in 1994(?) called "Friday Night is Killing Me." I believe he worked with some high-end session musicians on that one...?

How long ago was this session that you speak of? And what was it for?
It was (I think) 6 years ago-ish? It was during the 'mats reunion. I worked at Dave Minehan's studio and I was lucky enough to have him ask me to assistant engineer the session. I was out of vacation days at my real job, which was an issue, so I told them to let me take these 3 days off or I was going to quit.

They recorded a couple of songs that ended up being re-recorded on Westerberg's album with Juliana Hatfield, the one I can remember is Wear Me Out Loud.

It was an interesting few days at least. They were talking about doing another tour, but it turns out Josh couldn't do it because of a Sting tour, I believe. I offered my services, but they decided to not take up that offer, hah.

Another fun part of that is that we were checking levels on the piano (we just miced up everything, always ready to record whatever Paul wanted to record.) He just jumped on there and started playing Androgynous. It was incredible.

Because of Dave I got to be backstage when the mats played Midway Stadium in St. Paul with The Hold Steady and Lucero. Looking at the crowd from the stage was incredible. There were so many people. Then hearing Paul play Unsatisfied solo was just chilling. One of the coolest shows I've ever been to.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was (I think) 6 years ago-ish? It was during the 'mats reunion. I worked at Dave Minehan's studio and I was lucky enough to have him ask me to assistant engineer the session. I was out of vacation days at my real job, which was an issue, so I told them to let me take these 3 days off or I was going to quit.
Oh, wow, Dave Minehan. What an incredible guitarist. He was shredding the whole way through Paul's solo tour, loved his playing. I remember seeing him on TV with Velvet Crush, too? (Didn't think he was in the band, just a guest player?)

Thanks for all the details!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, wow, Dave Minehan. What an incredible guitarist. He was shredding the whole way through Paul's solo tour, loved his playing. I remember seeing him on TV with Velvet Crush, too? (Didn't think he was in the band, just a guest player?)

Thanks for all the details!
Dave might be the nicest person on the planet. I got to work at his studio because I lived around the corner and sold him a pedal board. I asked if I could come hang out, as I always wanted to be an engineer, and he said absolutely. He showed me the ropes for a couple of years. I got to record some really cool sessions with some fun bands and got to see some amazing local players. He also let me record a couple of records with friends for dirt cheap. I'd still be working there if my wife and I didn't have to move away for work. Those were some of the most fun years of my life (mind you, I'm only 31.)

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Back in 1989, the Governor General invited my high school percussion ensemble to play for Prince Andrew and Fergie - we were the after-dinner entertainment. I don't think they were expecting 30 minutes of contemporary percussion music, but if they were bored, they hid it well, and they were very polite in the meet-and-greet after the show. Frankly, most of us were more excited about meeting Elizabeth Manley, Canada's figure skating darling at the time - she was super nice.

Fergie & Me.jpg

I've been working at a performing arts centre for the past 20+ years and have enjoyed meeting lots of interesting musicians - Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Ed Shaughnessy, Neil Peart. Most are pretty down-to-earth, but a few have earned their reputations for being difficult.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Dennis Hopper
Gregg Allman
Debbie Harry
Ray Davies
Huey Lewis
Ed Van Halen, and many, many more when I worked for a concert promoter in the 80s

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I met a cook from N.O.,trumpet player, he said i had more soul than a size 23 tennis shoe! Does that count? Lol
Edgar Winter,gentleman
Kim Wilson, twit
Tommy Castro,meh,ok