Who is the one bassist you would love to jam with?

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Harvey Brooks
Man, this is so cool. He played on all those NYC folk albums (BEFORE the music biz moved to LA), like personal favorite Ritchie Havens and such. Then, when Becker and Fagen took out that NY Rock and Soul Review, my gal and I went to it, big outdoor summer shed, and Harvey was on bass (about '92?). I think he was elderly at the time because I saw that he played seated. What I really noticed was that he didn't play a lot of notes, but every last one of them was dead n**s on! The master!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Carol Kaye
Bobby Haggart
Scott LaFaro
LaFaro! He left us way too young. Since apparently dead bassists are fair game, I would have to choose the one who changed the way the instrument was played forever: Jimmy Blanton. If restricted to folks who are currently alive, it would be a toss-up between John Clayton and Nicki Parrot.

stuart s

Reaction score
Derek Forbes, if hes not around then Bernard Edwards, but then again hes not around :( so Derek Forbes it is!

John Paul Jones would be nice too, but given the other drummer he played with for all those years, I would just suck! :D

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pino, Rhonda Smith, Bobby Vega, Prince, Les, Jaco, Paul Turner...I'm forgetting a bunch (and yes, I added some that have passed).

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Come to Detroit (well, after the clubs re-open) and you can jam with Ralphe every Thursday at the session at Bert's Place, Eastern Market. Been doing that for 18 years.
Wow? Seriously-what is it like to jam with a guy like that?

Love his work with Ponty....

thanks for the heads up!

markkarj

Reaction score
I like Carol Kaye's playing. I first heard Leyland Sklar with Toto and find he has such a warm, legato style.

And of course Tony Levin with his funk fingers and Chapman stick performance!

Truth be told, I get a real kick out of the bassist in the casual funk band in which I plan. Bryan does a terrific job.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow? Seriously-what is it like to jam with a guy like that?

Love his work with Ponty....

thanks for the heads up!
Don't get me wrong, I am not on this gig (Gayelynn McKinney is), and it is more straight ahead. Ralphe plays upright on it. It is a jam session, though.