Who is the one bassist you would love to jam with?

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, this is so cool. He played on all those NYC folk albums (BEFORE the music biz moved to LA), like personal favorite Ritchie Havens and such. Then, when Becker and Fagen took out that NY Rock and Soul Review, my gal and I went to it, big outdoor summer shed, and Harvey was on bass (about '92?). I think he was elderly at the time because I saw that he played seated. What I really noticed was that he didn't play a lot of notes, but every last one of them was dead n**s on! The master!
Very cool! Lots of great stuff there.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Man, this is so cool. He played on all those NYC folk albums (BEFORE the music biz moved to LA), like personal favorite Ritchie Havens and such. Then, when Becker and Fagen took out that NY Rock and Soul Review, my gal and I went to it, big outdoor summer shed, and Harvey was on bass (about '92?). I think he was elderly at the time because I saw that he played seated. What I really noticed was that he didn't play a lot of notes, but every last one of them was dead n**s on! The master!
Stu, Harvey Brooks had a bout of bladder cancer some time in the late 1980's, so maybe that was still going on. From what I read, he's in good health at 75 years old, and is said to playing better than ever. He still gives lessons, apparently.

It amazes me the all stuff he was involved with - Bitches Brew, Highway 61 Revisited, The Doors...

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stu, Harvey Brooks had a bout of bladder cancer some time in the late 1980's, so maybe that was still going on. From what I read, he's in good health at 75 years old, and is said to playing better than ever. He still gives lessons, apparently.

It amazes me the all stuff he was involved with - Bitches Brew, Highway 61 Revisited, The Doors...
Great to hear that he's alive. Wow, he's not as old as I would've thought.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Geddy lee, flea or les claypool. I'd want the challenge of pushing myself to keep up with their abilities.

Bobskifiat

Reaction score
Ronnie Lane would have been an experience.
Larry Graham - imagine that?

Jakehotep

Reaction score
Very interesting question. I'm going out on a limb to mention two bassists that you've probably never heard of.
There was a band out of Rochester NY in the late 70s - 80s called Duke Jupiter. They had a national hit with a song called "I'll Drink to You." Their bassist (I've looked him up online, and the only name I could come up with was Rickey Ellis, but that may not be the bassist I remember) was really good, but more importantly, he was tasteful. That's a weird word to use here, but it seems right. Every note he played felt exactly right, and it would be awesome to play with a guy like that. He wasn't a hot dog, but did exactly what was called for. Plus he was energetic and really fun to watch onstage.
The other guy I've jammed with several times. I always just called him Bass Bob, but since learned his name is Bob Guenther. Back when Three Dog Night was just starting out, he was the bassist, but left the band very early due to personality conflicts (the other guys were starting to do chemicals he wanted no part of), so he never achieved the fame they did.
He's been a mainstay on the local Buffalo music scene FOREVER, playing in Blues and Rock bands since the 70s.
Obviously he's pretty long in the tooth now, and in failing health, but every time I've played with him it's a sheer joy. The guy's bass is an extension of his body and soul. He ALWAYS gets it right, and he elevates MY playing whenever he's around.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Not sure how it took almost 100 answers to get to the right one, but of course it’s Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

What a crowd. Congrats to all who answered “Who is the ONE bassist ...” with lists of names!

Wulfgang

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be the one you consider the absolute best musician, just the one that you would love to spend a night to jam with?
We opened for The Entrance Band quite awhile back, got to meet Paz Lenchantin (Zwan, Perfect Circle)
She was amazing to talk to.
Would enjoy jamming and hanging with her for a night.

bonsritmos

Reaction score
well i need two lists, first , people ive played with before i wish i could hit with again , and then those i didnt play with i wish i could have hit with.

bass players i played with i wish i could hit again with :

marcus miller , paulo russo , rufus reid , clint houston ( monster) , luizao maia ( brazilian samba innovator legend) , fred hopkins , billy dickens , tony cimorosi , russel blake , cleave eaton , the bass line of dr lonnie smith ,eric hochberg , steve rodby, larry klein and many more

bass players i wish i could have played with:
bob cranshaw , paul chambers, cachau , ray brown, ron carter, nico assumçao and many more

Latest posts