WHO MADE CAMCO'S SHELLS???

plexi69

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know who made shells for Camco in the sixties? Did they make their own or were they made by Jasper? Thanks.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I've heard Jasper in the 60s and Keller in the 70s... but I'm not an expert. DolFan is, and he'll be chiming in for sure momentarily. :D

Whoever built these things knew exactly what they were doing!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Steve or Jolo will chime in but I think D-bum has it spot on. I have two 60's Camco and one late 50's George Way shells - all Jasper shells. Unique re-rings and bearing edges too for drums from that era.

John

plexi69

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will guess these are usually 3 ply when they have re-rings and interior sealant? Would those early shell be similar to what Gretsch was using?

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Similar to Gretsch 3-ply shells, but Gretsch went to 6 ply, no re-rings and Camco stayed with their lay-up for a while longer. Paging DolFan........

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
After the 3 ply, Camco went to 4 and then 6 ply with rings. Pretty sure that all happened Oaklawn era. Camco's transition from 3 ply w/ rings happened sometime in the mid 60s, wheras Gretsch did the switch roughly 57.

I'm pretty sure mine are 6 ply, but I haven't had them apart for any length of time to really check... been too busy playing the heck out of them since I got them to check. Mine, an Oaklawn kit, does have rings and interior sealant: I'm pretty sure ALL Camcos up until the LA era that were wrapped had white interiors no matter what (painted/lacquer finish drums had clear sealed interiors). To my knowledge, until Tama took over the Camco name (easily identified by the lugs, which have a different shape), ALL Camcos also had rerings.

Another tangent regarding Camco shell construction: if Jasper was making 6 ply gum/maple shells for Gretsch as well as 6 ply shells w/ rerings for Camco... were the 6 ply Camcos gum/maple like the Gretsch shells? I've heard rumors both ways. It would have made sense for Jasper produce a single line of shells, and then add rings for the ones they sold to Camco.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
> It would have made sense for Jasper produce a single line of shells, and then add rings for the ones they sold to Camco.

That sounds about right. Steve... where are you?

John

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
The guideline is -
George Way 1957-1960 - 3ply Jasper
1960-61 - 4ply Jasper

Camco Oaklawn - 1961-65 - 4ply Jasper
1965-71 6ply Jasper

Camco Chanute - 1971-73 - 6ply Jasper

Camco LA - 1973-78 - 6ply Keller

All shells from every era has re-rings. Occasionally Camco from Oaklawn era produced 3 ply shells but they are rare. The dates from GW and Oaklawn eras are a guideline but not exact by any means as far as when they switched to different plies.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not knowing anything about all things Camco, could anyone, that means you Dolfan, tell me if the early 3 ply Camco shells had similar characteristics as the early 3 ply Gretsch shells? (ie bearing edge, lug spacing and quantity [5 v.6], etc.)

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
From my little experience w/ Gretsch I'd have to say they have a similar sound but still different. Camco shells are undersized quite a bit compared to Gretsch so the theory about them being the same shell with re-rings doesn't fly. The bearing edge on Camco drums are quite unique too which gives a sound like only a Camco drum can!

George Way shells on the other hand are barely undersized and sound IMO far closer to the Gretsch sound than Camco drums do.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
George Way shells on the other hand are barely undersized and sound IMO far closer to the Gretsch sound than Camco drums do.

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Gretsch supplied shells to Geo. Way in the 20s & 30s.

Jolo

Reaction score
Another great Jasper shell made under George Way's watch was the Leedy & Ludwig,
1951 to 1955 I believe. Very precise bearing edges on a beautiful shell with a wide
tuning range. A great streamlined art-deco lug design, too.

Did the Packers really win the SB without Brett?

Jolo........Frostbite Falls, MN

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Another great Jasper shell made under George Way's watch was the Leedy & Ludwig,
1951 to 1955 I believe. Very precise bearing edges on a beautiful shell with a wide
tuning range. A great streamlined art-deco lug design, too.

Did the Packers really win the SB without Brett?

Jolo........Frostbite Falls, MN
That makes sense, never really thought about L&L ever using Jasper.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Just how many of the big name outfits were getting their shells from Jasper? I knew about Gretsch and Camco/Way but I never knew about L&L's from the 50's being made with Jasper shells. Anyone else/any other major drum company you know of?

I learn something new here -every day!-

John

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
After the 3 ply, Camco went to 4 and then 6 ply with rings. Pretty sure that all happened Oaklawn era. Camco's transition from 3 ply w/ rings happened sometime in the mid 60s, wheras Gretsch did the switch roughly 57.

I'm pretty sure mine are 6 ply, but I haven't had them apart for any length of time to really check... been too busy playing the heck out of them since I got them to check. Mine, an Oaklawn kit, does have rings and interior sealant: I'm pretty sure ALL Camcos up until the LA era that were wrapped had white interiors no matter what (painted/lacquer finish drums had clear sealed interiors). To my knowledge, until Tama took over the Camco name (easily identified by the lugs, which have a different shape), ALL Camcos also had rerings.

Another tangent regarding Camco shell construction: if Jasper was making 6 ply gum/maple shells for Gretsch as well as 6 ply shells w/ rerings for Camco... were the 6 ply Camcos gum/maple like the Gretsch shells? I've heard rumors both ways. It would have made sense for Jasper produce a single line of shells, and then add rings for the ones they sold to Camco.
Resurrecting this thread from long ago.
I have absolutely nothing to back this up except my ears, and having owned a couple of Camco 6-ply kits and some vintage Gretsch kits, and listening very carefully with the same heads and tunings.
Since Camco 6-ply shells were Jasper, and Jasper used Gumwood, I think the Camco 6-ply layup is, out to in: Gum, Maple, Gum, Gum, Maple, Maple. I don't think they were all maple.
I remember talking to Bill from Bill's Drum Repair and Shell Shop long ago, and he once told me he thought Jasper used the same layup for Gretsch, Camco and whomever else sourced their shells in the 60s and early 70s.
The magic in the Camco sound, IMO, came from the fact that they were all undersized, and their bearing edges, which were sharper than most all others at the time, and very well-done.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Agree with all of that. The shell geometry is the key thing.

I had a conversation with a C&C employee years ago that said they believed that Jasper era Camco were maple/gum, as well. They said that when trying to replicate the Oaklawn sound, they were able to get really darn close with all-maple shells, but maple/gum wound up being the ticket for really nailing it.

Latest posts