WHO MADE CAMCO'S SHELLS???

mesazoo

Reaction score
...and if that was the case, I wonder what the story was on Camco's shells all being undersized. Maybe you can vary the outside diameter using the same mold? I agree it would be hard to beleive Jasper had all these different company's molds set up....but that may have been the case.
Jasper and Keller made wooden cylinders for many uses besides drums. Having many different molds would be expected.

Jolo

Reaction score
Wow this is an old post but I wonder if the shell make up of the leedy and ludwigs being Jasper shells has been verified. Interested to know if my 1952 drum would be one of these shells.
Here's another opinion on Leedy and Ludwig shells from our friend Rob Cook who wrote the book on it:

I am not able to document it, but it is my opinion that all of the postwar shells for Conn (Leedy, Ludwig, Leedy &Ludwig) were outsourced,
probably all from Jasper. The shells would have been made using molds that were paid for by Conn, kept at Jasper, and used only for Conn's drums.
One would think, therefore, that George would have been in the middle of designing the molds and setting the shell specifications.
George's "stock" in the company fell greatly, however, as he was gone from 42 to 48 and when he returned, his status was greatly diminished-
he was little more than a traveling salesman. His involvement pretty much depends on when they made the change.....
Rob Cook

If you haven't bought "The Leedy Way, a biography of George Way and history of the Leedy Drum Company" by Rob Cook, please do.
It is 307 large pages full of history, information, and photos that are a must have for any collector.
You are also supporting a vintage drum historian, author, and vintage and custom drum show proprietor (30 year show coming up).
Jolo

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's another opinion on Leedy and Ludwig shells from our friend Rob Cook who wrote the book on it:

I am not able to document it, but it is my opinion that all of the postwar shells for Conn (Leedy, Ludwig, Leedy &Ludwig) were outsourced,
probably all from Jasper. The shells would have been made using molds that were paid for by Conn, kept at Jasper, and used only for Conn's drums.
One would think, therefore, that George would have been in the middle of designing the molds and setting the shell specifications.
George's "stock" in the company fell greatly, however, as he was gone from 42 to 48 and when he returned, his status was greatly diminished-
he was little more than a traveling salesman. His involvement pretty much depends on when they made the change.....
Rob Cook

If you haven't bought "The Leedy Way, a biography of George Way and history of the Leedy Drum Company" by Rob Cook, please do.
It is 307 large pages full of history, information, and photos that are a must have for any collector.
You are also supporting a vintage drum historian, author, and vintage and custom drum show proprietor (30 year show coming up).
I had no idea that book existed. Sold! Just ordered a copy.