Who made this gong tom?

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Could this be very early Tama? Something else? Has Tama hardware but no badge. Shell is 10x14" 6-ply maple or birch, but the seams are straight, not angled. Tom mount looks generic; wing nut does not look original.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the 80s Pearl had a set that they called Dresden (I think)...after the tymponi that use an oversized head. Couldn't find a link.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing on that is surely Tama is the drum head, which looks like a 1980's orig Tama. Looks like a Gibraltar knock-off that copies Tama in some respects...but falls short on the flange detailing and memory lock key holes. Probably not Tama lugs or hoop. Not aware of Tama making a gong tom in sizes under 20". And certainly not a 14x10 size that this one is.

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are definitely Tama Gong drum lugs and early hoop clamps. Nothing about the hoop says it isn't Tama.

Tama did indeed make gong toms for a short period in 12" to 15" diameter. They made gong floor toms too.

Page 26 of the '78 catalog shows them.

http://www.drumarchive.com/Tama/Tama1978.pdf
You NAILED it, Thin Shell. Good call. Nothing like having solid documentation when it comes to identifying unknown products. You get the Gold Star for today!

GeeDeeEmm

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are definitely Tama Gong drum lugs and early hoop clamps. Nothing about the hoop says it isn't Tama.

Tama did indeed make gong toms for a short period in 12" to 15" diameter. They made gong floor toms too.

Page 26 of the '78 catalog shows them.

http://www.drumarchive.com/Tama/Tama1978.pdf
Nice work - and I loved that catalog for a long time. Came this close to buying Supes in 1980, but ended up going Gretsch.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
TAMA L-arm receiver , I'd say TAMA for the rest too .