Who made this old brass snare drum???

markekaylor

Reaction score
I just picked this up off a DFO member, it just showed up today & I'm very pleased.
I've owned probably half a dozen old American brass snares with tube lugs, Ludwig Universals, Leedy Utilities, etc.
This one though has me scratching my head. The rim clips, throwoff, and butt plate are all unfamiliar to me.
Its a 14X5 6 lugger.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure its American but might be from one of the more obscure makers?
thanks!

Mk
snare 001.JPG snare 002.JPG snare 003.JPG snare 004.JPG snare 005.JPG

markekaylor

Reaction score
I've been looking at alot of old snare drum pics....my best guess is this is a Duplex based on the strainer. Any else agree?
Mk

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you zoom in on that drum (Gretsch), it says Duplex on it. Apparently, they made the throw and Gretsch used it, so that's confusing!

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Duplex St Louis was one of the first lugless snares way ahead of the Peavey Radial Bridge

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many manufacturers back then would use parts from various companies to put together drums...Gretsch, Rogers, Wurlitzer and probably others did it as well

markekaylor

Reaction score
Well this is all very interesting! I didn't realize Gretsch made nickel/brass drums with tube lugs back in the day.
I'll have to do some digging online, see if I can turn up some mention or pictures of this drum in an old Gretsch catalog.
Either way I'm impressed, the drum sounds very similar to the other old brass drums I've had from this era, tons of mojo, just a wonderful drum to play.
Mk

Latest posts