Who Picked Drummers Better Than David Bowie?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's funny VB made a positive thread and people immediately set about telling him who's better than Bowie. I guess people just like to argue, even if it's not always started by the other guy.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny VB made a positive thread and people immediately set about telling him who's better than Bowie. I guess people just like to argue, even if it's not always started by the other guy.
I don’t see it as arguing, just adding their take on it. BTW I’m not arguing with you :)

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The title of the OP was "Who Picked Better Drummers Than David Bowie?" That's a question, not a statement; questions beg answers/replies, not confirmation. And in this case, because the topic is subjective, differences of opinion should be expected/welcomed.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The title of the OP was "Who Picked Better Drummers Than David Bowie?" That's a question, not a statement; questions beg answers/replies, not confirmation. And in this case, because the topic is subjective, differences of opinion should be expected/welcomed.
I took it to be more rhetorical. It's a subjective question, but I think VB meant it as an opportunity to talk about one aspect of Bowie's greatness. I'm surprised he hasn't been back besides his one response.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the short-lived band Baker Bruce Moore (BBM), not the GBO or Cream. Because the BBM band name is arranged in alphabetical order, I'm not clear on the hierarchy or who hired/picked who, so you may be right about that. In reference to the GBO, you are probably right (Ginger was already in the band when Jack joined, but I don't know who actually picked the new members), but for Cream, you're way off.

The band was Ginger's idea, but Eric was the one who wanted Jack. Ginger didn't want him in the group at all and only acquiesced because Clapton insisted on having Bruce - not having Bruce was a deal breaker for Clapton. At the time Eric was unaware of the extent of the bad blood between the two and later said if he had known how deep their mutual animosity was, he would never had gotten involved with the whole thing.
I’m still in awe of Jack Bruce on vocals as well as bass. One of my all-time favorite players and his voice was so much more powerful and dynamic than Clapton’s, especially on songs like Sunshine. I bet EC knew this and wanted Jack in the band because Eric’s singing voice was still a bit weak at that stage of his career.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discussion and argument have been confused and swapped everywhere in recent times, along with an intolerance for differing opinion.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m still in awe of Jack Bruce on vocals as well as bass. One of my all-time favorite players and his voice was so much more powerful and dynamic than Clapton’s, especially on songs like Sunshine. I bet EC knew this and wanted Jack in the band because Eric’s singing voice was still a bit weak at that stage of his career.
+1 on your feelings about Jack; I think he's one of the greatest all-around musicians of his generation (based on his vocals and instrumental abilities, compositions, creativity and willingness to try all kinds of genres and play with people from all kinds of different musical backgrounds).

And in addition to the vocal thing, Eric admitted that he was just beginning to try his hand at song writing and was - in his own opinion - only good for about two songs per year at that time, whereas Jack (in combination with lyricist Pete Brown) was very prolific.

Reaction score
Some personal favorites

David Foster (J. R. Robinson)
Celine Dion (Dominique Messier)
Whitney Houston (Brian Brake, Gregory Grainger, Ricky Lawson, Michael Baker,
Michael Jackson (Jonathan Moffett, Ricky Lawson)
David Gilmour (Chris Slade, Steve Distanislao)
Steve Hackett (Chester Thompson, Gary O Toole, Craig Blundell)

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play in a Bowie tribute band and the work those drummers did makes my job a huge challenge. Then again, my keyboard player has to play Mike Garson parts, my guitarist Ronson and Slick and others, and well, Bowie had a pretty wide vocal range.

Dan
I would like to see your band!

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised he hasn't been back besides his one response.
Are you kidding!? Thats his M.O.! He is the arsonist of DFO posts! Start the dumpster fire and sit back to watch! Lol. By the way I vote for Miles, Santana and Zappa. Obviously better is subjective but the level of musicianship of their drummers was collectively higher than Bowie. (A little fuel for the flames).