header.nohb.html

Who Played the Biggest Drumset with a Touring Band?

DaveB

Reaction score

I know he’s been mentioned, but Louis Cardenas’ kit was 75 pieces. Have to say, I remember that previous clip from when I was a kid and even then I wondered why his drums sounded so bad. I’m 50 now and think they still sound bad to my ear.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The old Rush Exit Stage Left kit was the one l just wanted to sit behind one night. If you ever get a chance to play a hero's kit, try it. I tried to play a bonzo kit in a guitar center once and I was too short. Bonham was over 6' tall. Peart over 6' with long arms. AVH over 6'. Physically l am more of a Gadd kit type guy with a 20" kick so l can reach everything. Moonie and AVH have the coolest rock show kits. Moonie had goldfish and water in a floor tom while AVH's 0U812 kit had a bass drum that had beer and water in a fridge inside. That's rock n roll.

Reaction score
Gary Wallis during PF’s The Division Bell Tour in 1994.

1673051251874.png

Part of the rig:
2 bass drums (DW)
1 snare
9 toms
2 gong drums
8 octobans (Tama)
1 hihat (Zildjian)
1 ride
5 crashes
4 chinas
4 splashes
3 timbales (Latin Percussion)
4 cowbells
1 tambourine
11 trigger pads (Dauz)
1 triggered plastic bell (custom made)
1 trigger interface (Yamaha)
1 sampler (Kurzweil)
1 midi controller pad (Ddrum)
1 midi mixer (Yamaha)
1 rack (custom made)

1673051271123.png

Craig kicks it too with Steve Hackett.

spelman

Reaction score
Gary Wallis’ Pink Floyd rig in 1994 ends up high in the list.

View attachment 566648

2 bass drums (DW)
1 snare
9 toms (5 for the main kit, 4 for the percussion side)
2 gong drums
8 octobans (Tama)
1 hihat (Zildjian)
1 ride
5 crashes
4 chinas
4 splashes
4 cowbells
1 tambourine
11 trigger pads (Dauz)
1 sampler (Kurzweil)
1 midi mixer (Yamaha)
1 rack (custom made)
-
Gary Wallis during PF’s The Division Bell Tour in 1994.

View attachment 601638

Part of the rig:
2 bass drums (DW)
1 snare
9 toms
2 gong drums
8 octobans (Tama)
1 hihat (Zildjian)
1 ride
5 crashes
4 chinas
4 splashes
4 cowbells
1 tambourine
11 trigger pads (Dauz)
1 sampler (Kurzweil)
1 midi mixer (Yamaha)
1 rack (custom made)

View attachment 601639

Craig kicks it too with Steve Hackett.

Double post?

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if it's multiple kits that you have to turn around and reposition and/or move to a different stool, is it still part of the same kit?

One of the things I can appreciate about Neil's kits was that he was a very ergonomic person. He set those up so he could actually play them. Not that most people could play them, especially a very short guy like me. But he wasn't setting them up JUST because of the visual of a big kit. Although I'm sure he added some theatrical pieces for SHOW. He actually used at least most of it on a regular basis. And he had his electronic kit that he turned around and repositioned and mostly only played it on solos.

The kits that are JUST for show that have items that are never hit don't do all that much for me. I like the kits that are well thought out and useful, of which there are many examples of here along with the incredibly talented guys that could make use of them.

gabo

While not the biggest kit in the world, I also went through that phase back in the late 70s and early 80s. Here's a pic of me circa 1982 :)
gb-drums_modified_2048.jpg

Johnny Vegas

Reaction score
So if it's multiple kits that you have to turn around and reposition and/or move to a different stool, is it still part of the same kit?

One of the things I can appreciate about Neil's kits was that he was a very ergonomic person. He set those up so he could actually play them. Not that most people could play them, especially a very short guy like me. But he wasn't setting them up JUST because of the visual of a big kit. Although I'm sure he added some theatrical pieces for SHOW. He actually used at least most of it on a regular basis. And he had his electronic kit that he turned around and repositioned and mostly only played it on solos.

The kits that are JUST for show that have items that are never hit don't do all that much for me. I like the kits that are well thought out and useful, of which there are many examples of here along with the incredibly talented guys that could make use of them.

gabo

While not the biggest kit in the world, I also went through that phase back in the late 70s and early 80s. Here's a pic of me circa 1982 :)
View attachment 601719
Who had a kit that was JUST for show?

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
triumph.jpg

John Shearer holds the record.

But. GIL MOORE ON THE DRUMS!!!

View attachment 560735
I was hoping someone would remember this guy. I've was fortunate to see them back in the day.
Between the lighted monster kit, his groove & lighted sticks and a kick ass 3 piece band, I was in awe.
AND he sang his arse off!! Gil's the man.