Who plays (drums) and who doesn't?

Who plays (drums) and who doesn't?

• Total voters

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw a member in a thread suggest that there are some (or more than some) members here who don't play.

Just curious, if you're willing to state.

I have no predisposed judgments, can't speak for others though.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a drummer I didn’t really find an answer that was valid for me so I’ll just say that I’m a drummer I also play other instruments, so I consider myself a musician.
Second that, bro.

I still practice 4-5 times a week on the kit (just because I love drums/drumming) but have very little patience anymore for bands/gigs/high volume/lousy pay. I go out and do solo guitar/singing gigs a few times a month where I am my own man, I perform for one hour and get paid pretty good.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I essentially gave up gigging for a couple reasons. One, I play in an "original modern jazz" group. This is a niche market at best. Generally the music is too dissonant and chaotic for even traditional jazz fans. Two, the pay for a band where everyone in the place, save two music nerds, dislikes the sounds is VERY low. ;)

This is why I became a professional at something else, so I could let the music be completely free of restrictions.

That said, I play/practice every day, I write, lead a band (essentially the same group of oddballs for ten+ years), and produce DIY records at the rate of about one to two per year.

(I voted "tinkerer", but felt the need to explain further because I have a very different level of involvement than some of my friends who are "tinkerers", and just play the drums ocassionally.)

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted in two categories. There is me pre-Covid shut down of California, and now there is me post Covid shut down in California, which dissolved my three most active projects.

Add to this working through some health issues.

I am currently endeavoring to rebuild. And I shall rebuild.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a drummer I didn’t really find an answer that was valid for me so I’ll just say that I’m a drummer I also play other instruments, so I consider myself a musician.
Me as well. When I stopped thinking of myself as a singular instrumentalist who plays some other instruments and starting thinking of myself as a musician, my vocabulary opened up really wide on all of them.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There should be an option for the occasional gigger between frequent gigger and tinkerer, I think. Lots of people have casual bands that gig a couple of times a month.
I didn't want to make it crazy long with options, just the basic idea. People can write in their own reply also.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Semi-pro, Jazz and legit, 160+ rehearsals and gigs in a couple of most recent pre-pandemic years, no recording per se, living on my pension/investments but expect pay for playing. Dunno where I fit…

notINtheband

Reaction score
I don’t play everyday (full time job and family time). But I do gig anywhere from 25-40 weekends a year (the latter pre-covid) and I do get calls to do session work 2-3 times a year. I’ve played on a dozen albums, none you’ve ever heard of, and played on a top 60 country song in 2018 (yep, failed to crack the top 40 but charted).
Have played opening spots for 8 National acts that you have heard of, but freely acknowledge nobody was there to see my then bands.
Still, pretty happy with getting to perform on a local and regional level and more than pay for my hobby through gigging.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play when circumstances allow. Live music - in restaurants at least - has just been allowed back here after months.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have no problem with stating it - and totally get the need to not have 6,000 different categories. So yes, I's a pro player. Have been for decades - but currently as the result of Covid and to a degree by choice - I'm a pro player, that isn't actually playing that much.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even gig anymore. Rarely even jam with others.
Drummer since school band, high school band, various bar/club bands etc..
Now I just come home from work and play for awhile as therapy.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get the desire not to have too many gategories, but "Casual / frequent gigger, studio player" is awfully broad. I'm casual gigger so I checked that, but I've certainly never done any studio work.