Who plays (drums) and who doesn't?

Who plays (drums) and who doesn't?

• Total voters

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
The onset of Covid really shut down my gigging in. a big way. At first, I has pretty disappointed, but now I am OK with it. I get together with my guitarist and bass player on Saturday mornings, and we play jazz standards for a couple of hours, and I really enjoy that. I take a lesson here snd there, working out of the Advanced Techniques book, and the community theater scene is starting to open back up. Also, my Sunday morning church gig is starting up again as well, so I am enjoying my playing time.

Square

Reaction score
I said Casual Tinkerer... Truth is I'm new to all this drumming so I practice at least one hour each day and more if I can fit it in. It's frustrating right now because I can play some "things", but I can't really play with any competency.

Slow and steady wins the race. Right now it's about vocabulary, then I'll move on to conversation.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Not to go to far off topic but peoples responses remind me of an interesting pattern...

Covid saved the musical instrument industry and killed (wounded at least) the live music industry at the same time.

Many like myself dusted off the drums when Covid hit, same for many other wayward musicians who now had more time at home then they expected.

For those working musicians, it took away the work, the cliental, and in many cases eliminated the venues they play in.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to go to far off topic but peoples responses remind me of an interesting pattern...

Covid saved the musical instrument industry and killed (wounded at least) the live music industry at the same time.

Many like myself dusted off the drums when Covid hit, same for many other wayward musicians who now had more time at home then they expected.

For those working musicians, it took away the work, the cliental, and in many cases eliminated the venues they play in.
It is interesting. A couple of Staturdays ago, I played this large sports and billiards bar with a nice stage and live music area. Kind of far from my house, so I had never been to it before. People said that prior to Covid, it was so busy that you could barely move in there. It didn't matter who was playing in there, live music wasn't really the main draw, it was just a hot place. It was really slow that night, and the locals said it's been that way since they were able to re-open. There are zero restrictions in place, and haven't been in months. It seems like a lot of people have just changed their habits. I was also told that this place became smoke free in that time, so that could be a large contributing factor as well...possibly the biggest? Edit: I do know one thing: a place that big and that dead on a Saturday night will be closed soon if things don't turn around.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting that the poll adds up to 114%. Wait.....that must be the effects of inflation.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could select more than one option.
Well, that makes little sense. All 4 categories are basically different that really don't overlap. Each is a step above the previous. You're either in only one of them....or none of them (ie something in between).

1. No play
2. Casual Tinkerer (you don't or haven't ever gigged or done sessions)
3. Gigger, Sessions (not yet a pro)
4. Pro (you know it when there)

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
It is interesting. A couple of Staturdays ago, I played this large sports and billiards bar with a nice stage and live music area. Kind of far from my house, so I had never been to it before. People said that prior to Covid, it was so busy that you could barely move in there. It didn't matter who was playing in there, live music wasn't really the main draw, it was just a hot place. It was really slow that night, and the locals said it's been that way since they were able to re-open. There are zero restrictions in place, and haven't been in months. It seems like a lot of people have just changed their habits. I was also told that this place became smoke free in that time, so that could be a large contributing factor as well...possibly the biggest? Edit: I do know one thing: a place that big and that dead on a Saturday night will be closed soon if things don't turn around.
I think that restrictions or not - many people just don't see rubbing shoulders in a crowd as a safe thing to do. And considering the filled to the brim state of most of our hospitals (not everywhere - but most places) - I can't say they are wrong.

At the rate we are going - this is going to take a long time to put back together. And yes, tons of venues are going to fold - just as tons of players have "retired" or are seriously considering doing so. Which mean after the dust clears it will take time to grow back.

Trying not to be political - or even Covid related - just trying to pass on the sentiment I hear from lots of players and other industry folks.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that restrictions or not - many people just don't see rubbing shoulders in a crowd as a safe thing to do. And considering the filled to the brim state of most of our hospitals (not everywhere - but most places) - I can't say they are wrong.

At the rate we are going - this is going to take a long time to put back together. And yes, tons of venues are going to fold - just as tons of players have "retired" or are seriously considering doing so. Which mean after the dust clears it will take time to grow back.

Trying not to be political - or even Covid related - just trying to pass on the sentiment I hear from lots of players and other industry folks.

You're right. It's just my perception (which could be completely wrong) that in this particular area of DFW, and with this particular clientele...they aren't particularly concerned with Covid. Which kind of makes me wonder what else is going on. It makes me wonder if people will come back to these kinds of places after the dust settles, or if they've grown into new habits. It will be a shame if a place like this is forced to close because this is one of those places that used to draw patrons by the boat load, and bands could collect good money from the door.

Last edited:

Quai34

Reaction score
Hey, funny, just voted, no drummer at all tinker a bit and....I there is one vote in no drummer at all...So, should be me. I mean, I'm not the drummer in my bad and everyone knows it, I have a huge China!a set up because I love drums in general and even more cynbals and I just play a bit on my drums kit in our practice room at home, doing "Tink Tink" on the China!a, this me being a tinker around....But up to being a casual player....I would say my style is very casual....Ok, here of music in jazz and composing c keys and bands have forged a good independence on limbs for basic stuff but for someone who has only taken 6 months of lessons with a teacher who was amf big fan of The Police, it was a bit harsh to start with for me....but yes, I don't reply play....I tink Tink and Doum Doum and Blum boum as well!!!

Nechama

Reaction score
I said Casual Tinkerer... Truth is I'm new to all this drumming so I practice at least one hour each day and more if I can fit it in. It's frustrating right now because I can play some "things", but I can't really play with any competency.

Slow and steady wins the race. Right now it's about vocabulary, then I'll move on to conversation.
My situation exactly.

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to think I can do more than "tinker", but I guess it's a matter of perspective. I'm a casual player for sure.

I think the only issue with the categories is dropping the "session player" description under "casual". Many of us would probably consider that a "pro" type role - that's to say - you're getting paid for your musical efforts and that's how you qualify as a "pro". But there's degrees of "pro-ness" I guess.

I can dream about getting paid to play drums, but that's about all it'll ever be. I just play for fun.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm really surprised at the amount of people here who:
a) don't play drums at all,
b) play drums, but have never played with other musicians,
c) have played with other musicians, but have never played in a band,
c) play drums, but have never learned how to play a song.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I'm a student and I play every day as much as I can, but I like the word "casual" a lot, so...

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm really surprised at the amount of people here who:
a) don't play drums at all,
b) play drums, but have never played with other musicians,
c) have played with other musicians, but have never played in a band,
c) play drums, but have never learned how to play a song.
I'm surprised only one non-player has voted (I know there are more out there), but I'm much more surprised that over 20% of respondents have identified as "Pro players". Not that I want to get into that discussion, but it is interesting how people identify themselves. I don't have a problem with any of that by the way, it's hard to talk about this without coming off as judgmental.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm surprised only one non-player has voted (I know there are more out there), but I'm much more surprised that over 20% of respondents have identified as "Pro players". Not that I want to get into that discussion, but it is interesting how people identify themselves. I don't have a problem with any of that by the way, it's hard to talk about this without coming off as judgmental.
This has been discussed before. People have many different definitions of what a "pro player" is.