Who plays/played K custom dark rides?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience with 22” or 20” K custom dark rides and your thoughts on it. The 22” has a lower pitch and I hear a nicer sound out of the 22” but that’s just my ears and those are just videos on youtube.
Anyone care to share how they like this line of Zildjians? Do they have good stick definition without being lost in the wash? Are they easily crashable?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazzhead, I don’t know if my input will be helpful as I don’t play jazz, but I have a 20 incher that is one of my favored rides for medium-volume situations.

It’s a fine rehearsal cymbal for most of my (pre-Covid) bands. Great for soul and country and acoustic-driven rock gigs.

A fine wedding cymbal that looks good in a tux.

Balanced all around and crashes acceptably. It’s not fast in that regard, but mine, at 2154 grams, isn’t clangy or clunky.

The ride tone has a bit of dark chocolate with slivers of crystallized ginger. Very pleasing to my ear. Blends well with other instruments and doesn’t get in the way of a female voice. The sonic texture is a sophisticated balanced stick and wash.

My only caveat is that at higher volumes there is a point where the wash overpowers the ping.

There is a simple way to turbo-charge this cymbal, though, as I learned to do at a gig where the volume suited the bronze but the venue had odd acoustics: I used nylon tips. Not something I usually like to do but it worked really well.

I like mine so much I bought matching hats and a crash to make a set.

Another plus with these rides is used they are quite affordable. At some point I’ll probably find a 22 and not be able to resist it.
015C518D-4F48-46A5-971E-E1BA7A579A13.jpeg

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
@CC Cirillo gave a perfect description. I bought one of these from a forum member (also a 20) to put into the setup at church and it’s perfect for what I was looking for. It doesn’t get out of control and has a really pleasing tone.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience with 22” or 20” K custom dark rides and your thoughts on it. The 22” has a lower pitch and I hear a nicer sound out of the 22” but that’s just my ears and those are just videos on youtube.
Anyone care to share how they like this line of Zildjians? Do they have good stick definition without being lost in the wash? Are they easily crashable?
I play mostly jazz and use a 20” K Custom Dark as my main ride. About 2250g. Love it! It’s dark, with excellent stick definition and a mellow wash that doesn’t overtake the attack with aggressive playing, and a moderately quick decay. It’s crashable if you want a very dark crash, but, not as crashable as my 1950g K Con MTL. It also has a beautiful dark shank.

Having said that, in my experience, K Zildjians are very individual. No 2 sound alike. I wouldn’t buy one based on a sound file unless I knew it was easily returnable and refundable. JMO!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 22" at about 2800 grams. It was a beautiful cymbal. It pretty much sounded like the most perfect vintage A Zildjian.

It had that AZ clarity, but without the annoying highs. Instead is had a low, dark, mellow wash with just a bit of growl.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I may have given up too soon on the 20” I had, but at 2300g, I think it might have just been a dud.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 22" and two 20" KCD rides. They're just about my favorites.
They don't really excel in any one area, but more importantly, they're never offensive or obnoxious in any way.
And that's high praise for them from me.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 22 k custom dark medium is probably one of my favorite all around cymbals. Great for rock and hard riding, great ping, got a good big band sound. Killer Bell.

I've owned 3. I have had problems where two of them developed a tiny crack along the grooves, mid bow, and developed a buzzing sound. The punk/pop band probably was not a great fit. But then I quit that band over the volume!

I chopped out the crack on one of them and it still sounds great. I'll save it for recording someday.

It's on pretty much every song on this except for one where I used a 22 light ride.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 20 K custom dark. It was too heavy for jazz with a lot of roar and a rivet added didn't help so I sold it. It would have been great for rock/blues and maybe jazz if taped but it was too much. I do regret selling though.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like mine so much I bought matching hats and a crash to make a set.
Thanks for your input. It’s funny because I have had the hats for 6-7 years now and I want to get the matching ride and crash to make a set haha but I can’t find one in store to try it out.
So I would think they are great all-around cymbal for low to mid volume settings. I think you can still rock out on these but maybe not too loud.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I just received a 20" K custom dark ride as well as a 22" K medium dark yesterday. The medium dark is perfect and has the tone and characteristics I was hoping for.

The custom dark has a nice tone and great stick definition, but the wash on this particular cymbal is a bit of a mess. It's oddly mismatched with the sound of the stick strikes (and I tried multiple). I listened to several of these on YouTube and none of them have the odd wash that this one does. On the plus side, the crash is excellent, though I'm trying to take it easy as I'm hoping the music store it shipped from (via Amazon) will be agreeable to an exchange.

Beyond that, the cymbal has a ton of potential. If I could get ahold of another that doesn't have this issue it'll be a keeper for sure. This is one area where Paiste shines. I've got a bunch of 2002s, Giant Beats, and 602s and they have nearly all been super consistent with sound samples.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
How are the 16” or 18” crashes on this line?
My 18” crash is killer. Also have a 20 ride that is a great all around ride as mentioned. I mainly use it as a left side ride with a sizzle chain on it. Crashes great and nice stick definition. Can’t go wrong with these

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the 16” or 18” crashes on this line?
I have an 18” crash that for years was my only crash, that’s how good they are.

Not brash or shrill, which I dislike in a crash.

Mine opens nicely, and has a pleasant tone with just a little bit of dirty white noise, but it’s beneath the sound of the crash’s tone.

Can ride very lightly, but that doesn’t really fit the type of music I play. I sometimes ride on it as a wash ride in the last chorus of a song.

It’s a good way to let bandmates in my cover band know: “OK guys. Pay attention. I know you think you’re going to do five more choruses, but we’re stopping right after this one.”

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got 16 and 18 KCD crashes, as well as 16 and 18 A fast crashes. Obviously, the K's are darker and lower pitched.
That might be just what you're looking for. As CC says, you could even use the 18 as a ride if playing very lightly.

The A's give me more of what I think of as a real crash sound, but they're higher pitched, brighter, and get out of the way real quickly.
I don't think anyone would be tempted to use them as a ride. YMMV

All four of those aren't really used. I normally use two rides. I probably should consider letting them go, but you just never know.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I think most of this ti
I just received a 20" K custom dark ride. The custom dark has a nice tone and great stick definition, but the wash on this particular cymbal is a bit of a mess. It's oddly mismatched with the sound of the stick strikes (and I tried multiple). I listened to several of these on YouTube and none of them have the odd wash that this one does. On the plus side, the crash is excellent, though I'm trying to take it easy as I'm hoping the music store it shipped from (via Amazon) will be agreeable to an exchange.

Beyond that, the cymbal has a ton of potential. If I could get ahold of another that doesn't have this issue it'll be a keeper for sure. This is one area where Paiste shines. I've got a bunch of 2002s, Giant Beats, and 602s and they have nearly all been super consistent with sound samples.
I'd like to revisit and revise these comments. I spent a few hours with the cymbal today and...there's really nothing wrong with the wash on this. It ate my lunch, not the other way around. I'm not accustomed to cymbals that lean in any way towards the trashy side (I wouldn't call this cymbal trashy really, but it does slightly go that way). I was completely floundering the sticking. I changed things up and the wash improved dramatically. The more I play, the more I really, really like it. It can do a lot of different things that aren't readily apparent at first. And my goodness, the crash on it is really wonderful.

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight in case anyone else is considering a KCDR and is wary of a dud.

Last edited:

SteveParadis

Reaction score
I used to have a 22" at about 2800 grams. It was a beautiful cymbal. It pretty much sounded like the most perfect vintage A Zildjian.

It had that AZ clarity, but without the annoying highs. Instead is had a low, dark, mellow wash with just a bit of growl.
That was a good description of these. I bought a set of hi hat, crash and 20 and 22” rides on sale. They go with my “warm” set- British Drum Company Lounge. Very nice complements at medium and low volume. Not bright but they mix well in this situation/set up.

219Dave

Reaction score
I have a 22 K custom medium ride and a 20 k custom dark ride. I am doing a lot of home recording these days, and find them both fantastic for blues and classic rock. Then KC medium is my go to, but the dark fills in nicely when I want more wash. They both sound great recorded. And there are plenty reasonably priced ones on reverb in mint or excellent condition.