Who said "I created heavy metal drumming" and "John Bonham got it from me"?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmine Appice sure does a lot of talking, most recently in the article published over the weekend, "Carmine Appice Shares Feelings on Led Zeppelin's John Bonham 'Stealing' His Drum Fills, Says Tommy Lee's Mind Was Blown By It."

Not saying there's not some truth to these fables, but I get tiring of hearing it.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its unfortunate he is quoted for all this stuff. I'd guess most drummers know him well for his innovations but he evidently feels uncredited for many things or left out of the discussion.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Carmine is kind of a sad story. He was my BIGGEST early hero, especially the CACTUS stuff. If you do not believe the power and finesse of Carmine, ya gotta check out the second and third CACTUS albums. Him and Timmy were the best American bass/drum duo around IMHO. The BB&A with Jeff Beck album is pretty good stuff too, speaking of bass/drum excellence.

BUT he does tend to blow his own horn nowadays in his golden years. I met him a couple of times and he was never very friendly.

<<<<<Listen to CACTUS, tho... really... the guy has monster chops and can really drive a band>>>>>

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cat can play, and he was there for a LOT of what got developed. I don't really like much of the music he's played on, except maybe for the Vanilla Fudge, but I give him full credit for some damn good drumming throughout his career.

He's kind of the Bernard Purdie of rock drumming, seems like, heh-heh. And the music Purdie's played on is more my style, and I like his drumming style more that Carmine's (personal taste dep't.).

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blue Murder album from the late 80's is very good. The Cactus stuff, as mentioned, is really good. Carmine is a great drummer that did indeed, pave the way for many of us. That said, run through a list of companies he's endorsed over the years. That is a leading indicator of how easy you are to get along with in my experience. I've heard story after story of how important Carmine is, especially as told by Carmine himself. Sometimes it's best to let others talk about you rather than doing it yourself. YMMV.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Carmine is kind of a sad story. He was my BIGGEST early hero, especially the CACTUS stuff. If you do not believe the power and finesse of Carmine, ya gotta check out the second and third CACTUS albums. Him and Timmy were the best American bass/drum duo around IMHO. The BB&A with Jeff Beck album is pretty good stuff too, speaking of bass/drum excellence.

BUT he does tend to blow his own horn nowadays in his golden years. I met him a couple of times and he was never very friendly.

<<<<<Listen to CACTUS, tho... really... the guy has monster chops and can really drive a band>>>>>
Amen to that! Was one of my biggest heroes too. Say what you want about the guy but back in the day he was the real deal! Seeing Vanilla Fudge.. that monster kit..Carmine slammin' away and that BIG BIG sound!
When he was backing up Rod Stewart (the "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" days -which he has co-writing credits for) bands/performers used to have televised "press conferences" to kick off a tour. He would be the only band member in front of the mics with Stewart as his solo was a major feature of the shows.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In his defense, like others have stated, he doesn't get the huge amount of credit he deserves.
Like Yogi Berra said,
"It ain't bragging if you done it"

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I met him a year ago at a clinic.

He was nothing but generous and fun.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

You know, I hadn't given Cactus a fresh listen in YEARS. I like it!!! Thanks for the reminder!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was taking my drum lessons back in 1968 there was only one artist in the studio with their poster up on the wall. I remember it to this day. Carmine Appice. Had not heard of John Bonham or LZ yet.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has been posting on FB a lot playing his beats from albums , he is totally cool and doesn’t brag a bit on the stuff I’ve seen .

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I saw him do a clinic back in the 80's with his brother and he was pretty nice. I probably talked to him for a minute or two but he was very friendly. I can kind of see his point sometimes when it comes to LZ. I mean even without carmine's tricks, John Bonham was going to be great one way or another. His feel alone was enough to propel him IMO. His flashy bombastic fills were just icing on the cake. I think it's great that Carmine got John his first Ludwig endorsement but I wonder why in the heck he got virtually the same set as Carmine. I would have felt weird doing that. Ludwig had a LOT of color options in 1969... Lol

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that Carmine got John his first Ludwig endorsement but I wonder why in the heck he got virtually the same set as Carmine. I would have felt weird doing that. Ludwig had a LOT of color options in 1969... Lol
I thought Carmine used a red sparkle kit in Vanilla Fudge (not the thermogloss). That's what several pics of the day show?

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Didn't we just do this... in depth less than three weeks ago???

From me, in a nutshell - everything he's saying is basically true - how he's saying it is clunky as it could possibly be. And IMO most folks that dismiss him as being totally full of sh*t on the topic, haven't done the listening - nor checked the dates.

But again - we just did this here....

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I thought Carmine used a red sparkle kit in Vanilla Fudge (not the thermogloss). That's what several pics of the day show?
Carmine used the red sparkle kit (with a 26" Gretsch bass drum he got in a pawn shop) on the first Fudge album and the first time Fudge played on Ed Sullivan (live sound, not miming!). He got the natural maple double-bass kit some time in early '68 and used it at least well into 1969. I saw him play that kit in September of 1968 (opening for Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl), in January of 1969 (at the Shrine Expo Hall, when they recorded "Break Song") and in May of 1969 (at the Rose Palace). He also used that kit when Fudge played on Ed Sullivan again, in 1969 (they played "Shotgun", also with live sound).

When I saw him with Cactus in late 1970 he had switched to the dark brown Ludwigs with a bunch of single-headed toms (I think that was the kit he also used in Beck, Bogert and Appice).

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
He got the natural maple double-bass kit some time in early '68 and used it at least well into 1969. I saw him play that kit in September of 1968 (opening for Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl), in January of 1969 (at the Shrine Expo Hall, when they recorded "Break Song") and in May of 1969 (at the Rose Palace).
Mitch was playing a natural maple Ludwig around this time too. were there two maple sets on this bill as well? That's interesting!