Who says you can't sound like yourself on a backline kit??

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
I don't know who says that, but thanks for sharing! Tony's movements are ridiculous - so precise and fast that it looks like the video is running at 20% extra speed.. :dontknow:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sound is in the drummer, not in the drums. If I played any DFO member's drumset I would sound way more like hsosdrum on them than I would sound like that member.

sternerp

Reaction score
It depends on the quality, heads and tuning of the back line kit. One festival I played at had an entry level kit with cheap cymbals, not tuned, and a throne that was stuck in the lowest position. It was quite a challenge to get it to sound like “me” when I had to stand up to reach the ride cymbal. One club I play at has a pretty decent house kit, but I bring my own snare drum because the house snare is tuned too loose for my liking.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s not the sound/tone that matters
Play the events in time with your voicing and subdivisions and dynamics ….
And you’ll sound like you on pots and pans .

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not the sound/tone that matters
Play the events in time with your voicing and subdivisions and dynamics ….
And you’ll sound like you on pots and pans .
I'll just add that a lot of a drum's sound/tone is the result of how it's struck.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Why shouldn't he sound like himself?

The Premier drums have been high end in these days. I guess he tuned them himself to 'his sound'. And I would say in that (low) tonal quality of the recording you can't distinguish sounds of Gretsch, Ludwig or Premier.
He adjusted the pedal to his demand. And he might have even used his own cymbal set, what is the main sound of his playing.
This is, what 'defines' his sound, and is an important part of the performance. Although all that happened before he hit the first note of that concert.

On a side note: a few days later, somebody who I know very well was born close to that concert hall.

PS: Did anybody notice what happens to the HiHat in the very last minute? Looks mooney. ..

Greetings from Germany
Markus

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like most, I've played some really crappy backline kits. I do think you can get your own sound and feel if you bring your snare and cymbals. Even if I have to simplify or mostly abandon fills due to the terrible toms, I feel at home with my snare and HH at least.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you guys over estimate the individuality of your snares and cymbals .
Just play the show ……..

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My “sound” depends on who I’m playing with and for, so it changes and so does the gear. Having said that, pre-covid I played back line kits exclusively with one touring combo, always bringing my snare and cymbals (with bd/hat pedals) so the “sound” was still there. This, more importantly than me was the overall sound of that particular band, just like whatever guitar was used for instance.
Having said that....

I think you guys over estimate the individuality of your snares and cymbals .
Just play the show ……..
.....ya took the words out of my mouth.....yes I have done a couple of gigs on cardboard boxes with a plastic bucket and still retained my “sound”.
Also if there is drum kit and 10 folks play it you’re going to have 10 different sounding kits from the same kit.....
bt