Who tapes their gigs,shows, ??

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or, am i alone here... I enjoy taping the nites gig-show....Then on the ride home,Pop in the tape and listen for overall performance,groove.....or, just re-live the nite in the backseat per se. That's been a learning crutch for years....Anyone?

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never taped a show, but I try to get pics of at least the setup for that night, if not live shots.

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I tape sometimes. For learning and memories. Makes me think of a story....
One night this drunk lady started doing cartwheels on the outside concrete dancefloor. As we were all watching the show with our jaws dropping, she proceeds to go over to the mic I had draped over a overhead wire. She stands up on her tiptoes and pulls the mic down screaming with the song....when suddenly the mic pops out of the socket and knocks a tooth out of her mouth :lol: She then walks over to the stage and just sits picking her mouth while the singer breaks out into his comic routine :lol: You can't make this stuff up!!!!!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me! Every gig. Use a Zoom H2.

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost every gig and practice. I think its a great learning tool.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where do yo H@ users usually situate the recorder? Is it on a stand?

troymiller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dave11772 said:
I cannot stand to hear me playing - I'm my own worst critic. But I force myself from time to time and it's worth it.
+1. Exact same thing for me.

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PJD said:
For practice its usually on a mic stand,about 6 feet off the floor,in front of the band and near a vocal speaker. I use the 4channel front and back mics on the H2. At a gig,wherever I can find a spot that picks up the whole band without getting in the way or might be knocked over.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Sony mini disc with an audio technica stereo mic overhead. The mix comes out a bit drum heavy but I like it to critique myself. Things that you think sound cool at the time might sound like crap when you listen back. Also when you acidently find a cool lick you can replay it to see what the heck to did.

Reaction score
When I'm playing live (rehearsal or gig) I always record myself. I used to carry a small Sony cassette recorder in my stick bag but now its a Zoom H2. I don't always like what I hear when I listen back BUT it's important for me to hear it. I can't judge my playing "in the moment". The recording doesn't lie. Listen - Learn - Adjust - Improve.

Billy G.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a Firewire input that has 8 mic pre's, so I'll mic all the instruments and take a line out from the PA for vocals. I mix it down later when my ears have rested. I only do this every now and then since it's a lot more involved than one of those all-in-one units. I don't really use it as a practice tool, more to make live CD's to sell. A friend of mine wanted to make a YouTube party; get several bands, have the sound recorded by me and someone to videotape it. Basically a live music video.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zoom H2 for me beefed it up with more gigs. I tape almost everything. I usually put it on floor next to me or behind me.
It's just for reference. I know many people put it out in front, but if it's a club, that can be intrusive to the audience. I know I wouldn't want someone recording my conversation if I'm out.
Gary Chester told me something important about this once:
"Listen to the good stuff, too." It's ok to like it sometimes.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DrumminLefty said:
PJD said:
For practice its usually on a mic stand,about 6 feet off the floor,in front of the band and near a vocal speaker. I use the 4channel front and back mics on the H2. At a gig,wherever I can find a spot that picks up the whole band without getting in the way or might be knocked over.
Plus one with Lefty on the gig info.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
TheBeachBoy said:
I have a Firewire input that has 8 mic pre's, so I'll mic all the instruments and take a line out from the PA for vocals. I mix it down later when my ears have rested. I only do this every now and then since it's a lot more involved than one of those all-in-one units. I don't really use it as a practice tool, more to make live CD's to sell. A friend of mine wanted to make a YouTube party; get several bands, have the sound recorded by me and someone to videotape it. Basically a live music video.
What kind of setup do you have?

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, recording and listening to your playing is one of the best things you can do for your musicianship.

I use the Zoom H2, works very well, was inexpensive.

I would tell any aspiring musician that using a recorder is the best single investment he could make, he'd learn more from that than any other new piece of gear...

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think recording yourself and your band is an indispensable tool. I find that what I hear in my head and what I think I'm playing aren't always what I hear on the recording later. I try to record my band about once a month just to keep things in check and find out what is working and what is not.

I also use the Zoom H2- can't beat 'em for the price and they actually sound very nice. You can put them right in front of or even on the stage and get a good sound, if the stage volume is at least somewhat balanced. Just make sure to turn the input level down!

I post the audio on a website for the rest of the band members to download. There isn't a better learning tool out there.

JS

Lugwid

User of Agop Cymbals!
Reaction score
I try and video or record as often as I can, I have a superstition about it tho... if I set up the recorder it will be a disaster.

As with this clip
http://www.youtube.c...j369Q0QM&fmt=18

I got this new Kodak Zi6 recorder, very cool unit, anyhow the battery life sux, or it is defective, so not only did I only get 3 minutes of a two hour+ show, it was a no show! We had about 5 people and about a dozen local bar goers that could have cared less if it was japanese karaoke!

:cry:

Generally, I like taping shows it builds a thick skin and show room for improvement every time.

Last edited by a moderator: