Who totally switched out heads recently?

Targalx

Reaction score
For many, many years, my rock snares' heads were ALWAYS Remo CS Batter Coated Reverse Dots with Ambassador Hazy snare bottoms. (My jazz snares are a whole other story and setup.)
This year, I switched my rock snares' heads to Aquarian Texture Coated w/Power Dot batter heads with Ludwig Weather Master Clear X-Thin snare bottom (do they still make these?).
It's made quite the difference in sound. I like it, I feel like my rock snares projects more, yet are also more sensitive. It could be the aura of the new heads, but so far, so good.

My rock kits' toms are all still clear Emperor tops with clear Ambassador bottoms, as they've been this way for the past 20+ years. I'll occasionally sub an Evans G2 or Aquarian Response 2 if the Remo Emperors are unavailable in my size(s) at my local store. (My jazz toms, like my jazz snares, are a whole other story and setup, though.)

Has anyone made a wholesale change on their head combos? From what to what? And why?

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit I just sold had Remo Ambassador-like stock heads (Taye supplied) and my new kit has Evans 56 Calftone as batters and apart from the kit itself having different (larger) sizes, I find these heads very warm and give a full sound quite different from anything I have played before. That's probably a combination of the heads and the drums themselves. I had a kit fully using Remo Fiberskyns once and these Evans heads are very similar but maybe even "warmer". I retained Fiberskyn for my snare drum as I like them for brushes.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I got my C&C kit 3.5 years ago they came with Remo Emperor White Suede heads and they sounded great. Previously, on my Tama's I had pretty much used Evans G2 heads for years and had always liked them. When the time came to re-head the C&C though I stuck with the Remo Emperors. There was something about the tone I was getting and I didn't want to mess with the new-vintage mojo I was getting on the kit. After some 20 years mostly using Evans, now I'm sold on the Remo coated heads.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm liking clear ambassadors top and bottom for about a year or so , I like the ' boing' and can easily control it with a little square of duct tape( Gorilla brand). REMO seem to work best . I kinda like REMO black suede too, but the cost is prohibitive .

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently went from mainly playing Coated Emperors on toms to now using Remo Ebony Emperors on any kit that I acquire. The warm and rich tone, with great attack, projection, sensitivity, decay, etc. It is now just an all around better sound than what I had been so used to for 10-15 years.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
After years of aimless head purchases I have finally settled on two ply Black Suede batters, and single ply Black Suede resos for my toms. Usually Black Suede or Black X head for snare and Hazy Ambassador resos. They sound meaty, earthy, and warm but with enough attack for my needs.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes. All the time.

I stick with single ply clear on the tom bottoms [Aquarian or Evans]. The top depends on which kit I used to play. (I'm now down to owning only one kit.)
I have Ludwig Heavy Coated with Dot on my kit now, it's a 1960's Ludwig Mod Orange kit.
I had Remo Colortone heads on my Trick kit, the heads matched the drum shell color. Purple or Smoke/Grey.
I had Aquarian Jack DeJohnette [black single ply coated] on my Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl kit.
Finally, I had Aquarian American Vintage on my Ludwig Oyster Blue '60's kit.

Almost all of my snare drums, about 9, have Aquarian heads. Some single ply coated, some double ply coated. Whatever sounds best to me.

Stretch

samsdrum

Reaction score
I have recently been playing along to a lot of Bad Company. I wanted a change so to get "that" sound I replaced my 14 & 16" batters from coated emperor's to Clear CS Black dots. I feel like i am playing a different set of drums. Batters are original Ludwig coated mediums, circa 1970.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I switched from coated emperors to ambassador X's. I'll probably stick with those for a little bit. They make my floor tom sound fantastic, but I do miss a bit of extra warmth from the rack tom.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I got a 1980 Rogers kit last fall and after some resto work I outfitted the whole 6-pc set with set with new coated G2 batters & a clear PS3 kick batter.
Because of disappointing tom tone with the Evans I changed all the tom batters to Aquarian Texture Coated and I'm glad I did. I put a BR signature Texture Coated on the chrome Dynasonic and left the PS3 on the kick batter. Tom resos are all Remo Ebony Ambs, kick reso is Evans black ported.

I've been very satisfied with the change and will keep them this way.

Attachments

dexter74

Reaction score
I was a big fan of Evans coated G14s for the past few years. I put some new ones on a few weeks ago that have the new logo (which is pretty lame imo) and they just didn't do it for me. I have no idea if they changed the head itself when they introduced the new logo.

I then put a coated ambassador on the rack, coated emporer on the floor Tom. Bam. Way better. And I'm not even a remo man.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I was a big fan of Evans coated G14s for the past few years. I put some new ones on a few weeks ago that have the new logo (which is pretty lame imo) and they just didn't do it for me. I have no idea if they changed the head itself when they introduced the new logo.

I then put a coated ambassador on the rack, coated emporer on the floor Tom. Bam. Way better. And I'm not even a remo man.
You are now.

I recently switched my Gretsch snares from Amabassador coated to Ambassador Vintage Coated. I kept the Diplomat hazy snare sides on them. The Catalina Maple sounds better than ever, the COB, not so much. Maybe I should put the factory Permatones back on.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I played out my C&C Player Date 2 kit and used the stock Coated Vintage Ambassadors and found they had a very limited tuning range and was not happy. I tried Colortones (which are Emperors) and again, very limited range. The cure?

Coated Ambassador! Simple single ply works best with the roundover edges on the C&C rack toms. I used a new coated Emp on the floor tom. I thought the Ambassador on the FT was too thin sounding.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...Ludwig Weather Master Clear X-Thin snare bottom (do they still make these?)….Has anyone made a wholesale change on their head combos? From what to what? And why?
Ludwig ceased drum head production a few years ago. These days, it's my understanding that Ludwig drums are outfitted with Remo heads (I was wondering where you got that!).
I did recently slap new heads on my Sonor kit and I put a new resonant side head on the bass drum.
Got the heads from DFD...Quite the deal, $$$-wise.
The heads I got were Aquarian Texture coateds, because I've had very good luck with them in the past.
I did slap a Jack DeJohnette on the snare drum, too.
I was quite surprised by how difficult they were to fit on the drums.
It seems the weld spots weren't rounded like the rest of the glue ring. Some of the welds were kinda thick too. I remember sanding a couple, to help get the head on the drum.
I was able to get them tuned up and they do sound good.
Not 100% sure if I'll buy heads from DFD in the future.

2018_0718_NewTCs4SonorKit.jpg

Elvis

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
After years of aimless head purchases I have finally settled on two ply Black Suede batters, and single ply Black Suede resos for my toms. Usually Black Suede or Black X head for snare and Hazy Ambassador resos. They sound meaty, earthy, and warm but with enough attack for my needs.

" aimless head purchases ... " I can identify with that .

Targalx

Reaction score
Ludwig ceased drum head production a few years ago. These days, it's my understanding that Ludwig drums are outfitted with Remo heads (I was wondering where you got that!).
Ah! Yeah, I bought about 4 Ludwig snare heads a couple years ago via Amazon. They were pretty inexpensive. I have a Ludwig snare that still has its original Ludwig snare side head, and I love the sound, so I opted to get a bunch of those same heads as replacements.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yes, The Weathermaster and the Attack! heads were the two least expensive brands on the market for quite some time.
Both heads worked very well, too.
My Ludwig kit still has the Weathermasters I reheaded it with years ago. Still sounded good last time I played it.

Elvis

Targalx

Reaction score
Yes, The Weathermaster and the Attack! heads were the two least expensive brands on the market for quite some time.
Ha! You just reminded me that I bought a full set of Attack 1-ply clear heads last year; I think they were an Amazon special, too -- something like 4 heads for $49, including the bass drum? They're in my storage closet, somewhere. I obviously haven't used them yet, so I'm looking forward to trying them out as bottom heads for some toms.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Ha! You just reminded me that I bought a full set of Attack 1-ply clear heads last year; I think they were an Amazon special, too -- something like 4 heads for $49, including the bass drum?
Those are most likely Attack 1-ply standard drumheads using a film called Dynaflex. They're pretty good heads.
Years ago MusiciansFriend and others used to sell them in pre-packs of 5 for $25 in your choice of standard packs 12, 13, 14, 16, 22 or fusion packs 10, 12, 14, 14, 22"

Naturally, for that price I bought a pack to try. They're excellent as resonants but the batters seemed a bit "pingy' for my taste. I prefer the Attack Bozzio signature clear or coated for batter side because they're DuPont Mylar film.

Latest posts