Who uses a net to secure their Rock n Roller cart?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's embarrassing when something expensive falls on the street in front of the people. What do you use to secure your R&R cart load, and where did you get it?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Bungees and try not to have anything higher than the handles...two safe trips better than dropping something

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still schlep them in by hand, but I am THIS close to getting a cart - once I do, I'd use either bungees or a cargo net (all over eBay)

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of the time I just make two trips. That way I don't have to extend the cart or stack stuff high. If I have a long way to go, like in most hotels, I use ratcheted cargo straps I got at Target. I buy straps long enough to go down one side and over the top to the opposite corner and tighten them down. Never had a problem moving gear this way.

The picture is from early days with the cart, using four straps. With longer straps it only takes two straps.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Now that's the way to go--ratcheted cargo straps. I tried bungee cords, and you can imagine the disaster that prevailed!

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Check out McMaster-Carr, they've got a pretty good selection of cargo nets:

As Sequimite mentioned, Harbor Freight also carries a few options: https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=cargo+net
I like this idea better! I assume the high strength option? I'd worry that the light duty one would stretch and drop the load.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Rock n Roller has cargo straps. I copped a few of them.

I've come out of several gigs where the sidewalk was on a slant, or some other weird thing. My drums toppled off the cart. And I don't usually use drum cases, because I hate packing drums. The cargo straps are very helpful. You can stretch them along the sides, and you can also stretch them across the top of your load if you have a lot of stuff stacked up.

I remember an old joke from the comedian Robert Klein. When he was a kid, he wanted to be a drummer. His Jewish uncle told him, "Don't be a schmuck. Play a flute. Its light."

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look for an elevator.
LOL!!! That reminds me of a place we played and the elevator was broke; they apologized and said they were trying to get it fixed. Thirty (30) years later, I play there again...same story!

Actually, a "GOOD" quality two wheel dolly will do the trick. You'll need two people to use it; one pulling and one pushing. Problem is you need room to transport it so sometime you just have to grin and bear it and carry every thing and hope someone will feel sorry for you and help. Also the guitar guys need to bring their small amps.

Back in the days when playing Big Band style music I had EVERYTHING strapped to two wheel dollies and it all rolled into a trailer then strapped to the walls.

sherm

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Nothing but gravity holding it down. I've had the SKB golf case slip a couple times if I wasn't watching what I was rolling over (dips or big cracks) but it's usually fine. If I'm going over gravel or grass I take the hardware case separately.

IMG_20180225_192709.jpg