Who was responsible for more drum sales. Krupa, Rich, or Ringo?

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I’m guessing a lot of people will automatically say Ringo but I wonder if that’s really true or how close the numbers might have actually been. Krupa appeared on every Slingerland Catalog for over two decades I believe.
Rich stumped for more companies than anyone. Did that give him a wider reach over his career in terms of sales?
Ringo caused one of the biggest drum sales booms in history but how long did it last?
What do you think?

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the exponential sales from all those future influencers that came from that initial Ed Sullivan appearance. Like a family tree. My inspirations all trace back to Ringo through a generation between myself and the Beatles.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I’d say Ringo by wide margin. I even wonder if Buddy and Krupa combined equal the impact and reach Ringo had…
That’s what I thought but it’s funny that the least technically skilled would have done better.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to say Buddy Rich, but the baby boomers and rock & roll were far bigger than the Greatest Generation and jazz. The music world isn't likely to ever see something as big as rock & roll again.

So yeah, Ringo by a mile.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely Ringo. Not sure if this is true, but I heard that the Ludwig plant had to go to 24 hour production after the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with Buddy is if you wanted a kit like his, you had to keep buying a new one as he switched around.

Slingerland might have sold a lot of Krupa kits from the 30s thru 70s total, but hard to imagine any one moment like 1964-66-68 when Ringo was surely responsible for the most 'direct' sales...and he never had an official endorsement!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
If we can include the ones bought by people who bought theirs because of Krupa, I'd say he takes the lead.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
No contest. Ringo. I'm one of 'em. Virtually every drummer know is as well. The World had never seen a phenomenon like Beatlemainia, and probably won't again. Millions of people watched their every move for six years, and there was that Ludwig logo every damn time.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ringo, and it's not even close. I'd venture Ringo sold more kits than Krupa, Rich, Morello, Williams, Jones, and Bellson combined.

Why?

Two reasons:
1 - look at the general musical trends over the past 60 years. The majority of the lifespan of the modern drumset has seen rock / pop music as the dominant musical force. Jazz has been a niche art form for a long, long time.
2 - the majority of volume of instrument sales is kids / teenagers. they weren't buying drums because of Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall or the West Side Story Suite.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends whether Ringo would have got a kit without Krupa making the drummer a household name. If Ringo wasn’t influenced by Krupa or Rich, Ringo for sure