Who Would You Have Picked to Sub for Ringo in 1964?

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following on the Jimmy Nichols thread,
Different question: given all the drummers around (let's just consider England for now) in 1964, who would you have suggested to the Beatles as a sub for Ringo during his medical hiatus?

When I started to think about this, I had a hard time, another tribute to Ringo's unique style

not Dave Clark, not Charlie Watts, not Barry Whitwam (a Hermit), not Freddie Marsden (a Pacemaker), not Bernie Dwyer ( a Dreamer), not John Steele (an Animal), not (lesser-known in 1964) Keith Moon, or Ginger Baker, or Mitch Mitchell.

Maybe - Mick Avory (Kinks)?
Maybe Bobby Graham? "He played on such classics as the The Kinks' “You Really Got Me” and “All Day and All of the Night,” "Glad All Over" by The Dave Clark Five, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place," by The Animals and Petula Clark's "Downtown." (Attributions from https://www.yardbarker.com/entertai...ock_drummers_of_all_time/s1__27174146#slide_7)
Maybe Bobby Elliot (Hollies)?
Clem Cattini?
Why didn't they ask Andy White, or did they? I imagine he heard at least run-through w/Ringo of Love Me Do (meaning, he copied Ringo, not the reverse) and if it's true he is on "Please, Please Me", same thing.

Your choice?

1609697112468.png

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following on the Jimmy Nichols thread,
Different question: given all the drummers around (let's just consider England for now) in 1964, who would you have suggested to the Beatles as a sub for Ringo during his medical hiatus?

When I started to think about this, I had a hard time, another tribute to Ringo's unique style

not Dave Clark, not Charlie Watts, not Barry Whitwam (a Hermit), not Freddie Marsden (a Pacemaker), not Bernie Dwyer ( a Dreamer), not John Steele (an Animal), not (lesser-known in 1964) Keith Moon, or Ginger Baker, or Mitch Mitchell.

Maybe Bobby Graham? "He played on such classics as the The Kinks' “You Really Got Me” and “All Day and All of the Night,” "Glad All Over" by The Dave Clark Five, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place," by The Animals and Petula Clark's "Downtown." (Attributions from https://www.yardbarker.com/entertai...ock_drummers_of_all_time/s1__27174146#slide_7)
Clem Cattini?
Why didn't they ask Andy White, or did they? I imagine he heard at least run-through w/Ringo of Love Me Do (meaning, he copied Ringo, not the reverse) and if it's true he is on "Please, Please Me", same thing.

Your choice?

View attachment 477989
And fortunately the Beatles did not try to break new ground with double drummers...

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron Wilson from the Surfaris

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
any would have adapted their
style so what they were playing previous might not apply in the new situation
Bernie Dwyer ( a Dreamer)
he born in same year as Ring may have done a swell job. But Ringo was ahead on the "thud" front. His contemporaries were still in the high and tight 'jazz' range.

Ringo invented the pillow..
post what 67/68
maybe I'm criss crossing a few years there
but Ringo invented 'the blanket.

in 64 I'd pick Bernie
or Dave Clarke any of those born in 1939 (not ginger) 1940-42 guys,

But when Ringo brought out the tea towels pillows drapes packing blankets and tarp (not the monetary plan) he shot ahead
and invented the Eagles.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Clem Cattini?
Those are all excellent choices, though it would have likely come down to a visual thing, as well. Someone youthful in appearance, with enough hair to comb forward. Nichol had both of those on his side, plus he was available. The "image" thing would have likely have ruled out Graham and Cattini, though Elliott was able to hide his receding hairline with hats (and eventually, wigs). Avory could have pulled it off too, but he was likely booked up with Kinks shows closer to home.

WLVN

Reaction score
Dino Danelli had the youth, the energy, the range of style, the looks and it would've been good timing with the start up of the Young Rascals.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dino Danelli had the youth, the energy, the range of style, the looks and it would've been good timing with the start up of the Young Rascals.
The funk, the attitude and most importantly, the hair.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Danelli would have been a great choice (not to mention that he could have been McCartney's double once he started combing his hair forward), but he was an unknown outside of New York and New Jersey in 1964.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You know, they could have just gone as a trio with Paul drumming, George on guitar and John on bass.
Possible, but then you don't have Paul up front anymore, and no real evidence to suggest that he could have covered Ringo's parts, or even be an exciting live drummer on the level of Ringo(or someone more seasoned).

Bobby Elliott or Clem Cattini for me, although what they probably would have lost in studio session money would have made a short tour a break-even prospect...or worse.

Dan

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides "Slow Down" are there any other songs Dino & Ringo both played to compare styles?