Who's on Mount Rushmore? (btw.. my first thread)

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chick, Gene, Buddy, and Neil

edit- This isn't my top 4. I was trying to think of the real Mt. Rushmore and how I would extend that to drumming....I went back and forth between JHB and Neil being the 4th.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If we're talking influential in getting people to want to play drums, I'd propose:

Gene
Buddy
Ringo
Neil

Fairly close to what I'd propose with one change, adding Bonzo and taking out Buddy, all opinion of course but I'd consider Gene probably influenced Buddy a little and leaving Bonzo out would be a tough sell for me:

Gene
Ringo
Bonzo
Neil

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fairly close to what I'd propose with one change, adding Bonzo and taking out Buddy, all opinion of course but I'd consider Gene probably influenced Buddy a little and leaving Bonzo out would be a tough sell for me:

Gene
Ringo
Bonzo
Neil

Agreed! I could get behind that!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
By the looks of your choices, I assume you're picking jazz drummers.
Well, the drum set really has its origins in jazz, so it's natural that jazz drummers are going to be on the list.
Think of Washington and Jefferson. Krupa and Rich. Although we should really look back to Papa Jo and some others. Buddy was really admired by the drummers while Gene was watched by the rest of the audience, Although we owe Gene for bringing the drums from being hidden in the back of the band.
Lincoln. Tony. Maybe Ringo. We're also into Hal's time.
Roosevelt. Well into the pop/rock era. Brings up Ringo, Neil

I think we're gonna need a bigger mountain.

jsp210

Reaction score
You really need a jazz mountain and a rock mountain. Ace
That's why the "jazz" guys who play within wide dynamic ranges and can play rock and funk with authority made it into my version of the monument. Very few rock icons can go the other way like that.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
That's why the "jazz" guys who play within wide dynamic ranges and can play rock and funk with authority made it into my version of the monument. Very few rock icons can go the other way like that.
Interesting. I am one that says Buddy COULD play rock though. I have an album called Buddy and Soul. He does well. Ace