Who's on Mount Rushmore? (btw.. my first thread)

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's why the "jazz" guys who play within wide dynamic ranges and can play rock and funk with authority made it into my version of the monument. Very few rock icons can go the other way like that.
I have yet to hear a jazz drummer that can play rock well (buddy included), nor a rock drummer that can play jazz well.

But, I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into something that it was not meant to be. Carry on! :headbang:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard choices here. I would only say that of the OP, Hal Blaine cannot be on Mt. Rushmore for a very obvious reason. It's not about how important or good he was, but Mount Rushmore is a very public monument for very public figures. Hal Blaine would be the equivalent to a covert operation, or the CIA, working behind the scenes to shape things in ways people looking at the surface couldn't imagine.

In the spirit of Rushmore, if I were picking jazz drummers, it might be:

Gene
Buddy
Elvin
Tony

Drummers in general (in terms of popular influence and name recognition):

Buddy
Ringo
Bonzo
Neil

*Note: when you can refer to people by their first names/nicknames and have them recognized, they are good candidates.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have yet to hear a jazz drummer that can play rock well (buddy included), nor a rock drummer that can play jazz well.

But, I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into something that it was not meant to be. Carry on! :headbang:
Steve Smith , Mitch Mitchell , Ginger Baker , Chester Thompson, I’m sure there are more

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Buddy
Ringo
Bonzo
Neil

*Note: when you can refer to people by their first names/nicknames and have them recognized, they are good candidates.
Bonzo and the Professor sounds like a live action, 1960s Saturday morning TV show.

Meanwhile the Ringo Buddy sounds like something you'd find in a sketchy, basement shop that sells fluorescent contraceptives.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Vinnie, Billy Ward, Gary Novak, Steve Jordan, Omar Hakim, Kenny Baron, Brian Blade, Keith Carlock, Rocky Bryant, Steve Wolf, Rodney Holmes - there are some out there...

hsosdrum

Reaction score
If we're talking about the drummers who changed drumming, for me it's:

Baby Dodds (without him we're all still playing press rolls)
Gene (transformed the traps into a musical instrument)
Max (established the modern — post-Krupa — style of drumming)
Bonzo (since 1969 no one has escaped his influence)

There are lots of iconoclasts who don't make my list (Buddy, Ginger, Bruford, Elvin, etc.) because they didn't substantially change drumming in a widespread way. IMHO, the four I listed are the drummers who most left their marks on how our instrument is played.

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is difficult. I guess for me, to cover the eras early jazz, swing, bop, and beyond:

Dodds
Rich
Max
Tony

But it hurts not having Chick, Jo, Roach, Art, Philly, Elvin, and Morello up there.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Putting the faces up on Mount Rushmore makes this kind of a big deal. I am more inclined to choose figures from the “without whom dept.…”. Men of history who command undeniable, if forgotten, influence and reverence, and who most certainly warrant far more study than I have ever bothered to consider giving them.

Still not an easy list. I’m going with:

George Lawrence Stone
Billy Gladstone
Avedis Zildjian III
Louis Cottrell Sr.