Why are modules so expensive?

Tommycanyouhereme

Reaction score
Hi,

Module makers really need to up their game. I'm running 'Tony Coleman Drums' (sonivox) which is now € 18, on a second hand pc (€60). The pc has a SSD so the startup is really fast (I'm playing in under 2 minutes).
I use a Roland quad capture audio interface which I bought second hand for €30. There is no discernible latency with my old Yamaha DTXpress module and the sound is AMAZING. With a little tweaking I also get decent triggering.
'Tony Coleman drums' has a 20 Gb sample library, if I can run this smoothly on this old gear, then why is a decent sounding module at least a 1000 Euros?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because modules are sold by the hundreds and PCs are sold by the hundreds of millions.

If iPhones were sold by the hundreds they would be $3000.

Whitten

Reaction score
Also, it's only one kit. Plus you haven't costed in the Pro Tools compatible VST host you need to run it.
If all v-drum brains only had one kit and you had to pay extra for the computer and music software to run it, then I think v-drums WOULD be cheaper.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say, because they can! I think there isn't enough competition. Maybe Behringer will step in and clone stuff for bargain basement prices.

If you're happy with VST's you could just get a Kat interface.

Whitten

Reaction score
There are in fact a lot of e-drum companies now. With products at all price ranges.
The two keys are playability, and quality of the sounds. Some get one right, but not the other. The products that nail it on both counts tend to be the most expensive ones.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Honestly, this is a market waiting for disruption. Unfortunately, the market isn't large enough for the disruptor to do it justice which is why we see mediocrity at ridiculous prices. Buy used and trigger VSTs if you want the best available.