Why are Teardrop floortoms rare?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Well this issue did not attract my attention so far, but some people react incredulously when they hear that I bought two Teardrop kits with matching floortoms.

These floortoms seem to be rare, but why? According to my information, only entry-level configurations of Sonor kits in the 1960s came without floortoms, so the majority of pre-configured kits should have had one.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok few things here.

The first thing I always ask when it comes to old Sonor, is "where are you located?" This really matters.

If you had replaced Sonor in your title with Ludwig or Gretch or Slingerland, name an American company, you would have many responses on this post. Looks like just me for now.

In the 60s, Sonor did not have an entry line just various configurations of the same teardrop drums. So you are correct, the Harlem, St. Louis, and Memphis outfits came without floors. Here in the US many kits that do go to market show up with matching floors, an 18 popped up today from a widower and that is rare in the states. Over the years, my EU friends have never made the observation that floors in general were rare.

The 3ply floors sold as orphans don't come up too often in US

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's interesting... was it a reaction to a specific size floor? I restored maybe a hundred teardrop sets in the 80's and 90's and I don't ever recall one NOT having a floor tom with it. I will watching the replys as well now!

ThomasL

Reaction score
Kits without floor toms were sold, but I wouldn't call them rare. 14" floor toms are rare. And 6-lug 20" bass drums seem common in Europe, while 8-luggers seem more common in the US.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Kits without floor toms were sold, but I wouldn't call them rare. 14" floor toms are rare. And 6-lug 20" bass drums seem common in Europe, while 8-luggers seem more common in the US.
I own a beautiful April 1969 Rosewood Teardrop bop kit with a 6 lug 18x14 bass drum and a 12x8 & 14x14 floor tom with a matching 5x14 wooden snare drum.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pics please
Okay here's my fantastic sounding well built April 1969 Sonor bop kit. It's been one of those kits that I'll never part with... I also have the matching snare drum too. I've always wondered if this bop kit was a endorsement kit.

Attachments

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread, but those are lovely

The D471 snare is not rosewood correct? Looks like it has been stripped and refinished with the natural beech now showing a horizontal grain pattern. A veneered snare would have vertical grain like the kit. Is it a 3ply or a six? The made in Germany strip usually indicate a 3.

Life kit for sure.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score

The D471 snare is not rosewood correct? Looks like it has been stripped and refinished with the natural beech now showing a horizontal grain pattern. A veneered snare would have vertical grain like the kit. Is it a 3ply or a six? The made in Germany strip usually indicate a 3.

Life kit for sure.
Hmm, I truly believe the snare drum in question is 100% original. As far, I know It is not a refinished drum, it actually matches my kit to a tee down to the same shade and badge and inside the shell. I owned a much darker veneered Teardrop snare drum and sold it because it didn't match my kit at all. In fact, I actually own two of these late 1960s snare drums... one bare inside with made in W. Germany (matches my kit) and a veneered inside one without "Germany" on badge... which is also believed to be 100% original.

Attachments

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score

Life kit for sure.
Also fyi my 18" bop kit is not Rosewood at all it's more a walnut finish like the 1st snare drum.