DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's true in a way; the older (possibly richer) you get ......the bass drum size goes down down down

Last edited:

Browny

Reaction score
Piano Black doesn't help. Anyone who's tried to paint a high gloss black finish will tell you it's ****ed. The worst finish to attempt as every imperfection, blemish and scratch stands out like dogs balls. I'm guessing that Yammy finish is absolutely pristine too...

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Speaking of yamaha finishes....I had the good fortune to have an afternoon with Hodgi, the legendary designer of Yammie drums. Asking about the outstanding gloss finishes I was told that the piano finishers do it and before you get to buff, you apprentice for 2 years. Makes sense given the quality.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I find very dark colored drums (like a black snare) depressing..funereal.
Will say this. In one's life there's Peak Earning Curve. Best to hit that time and buy your dream kit (bop or otherwise) then and there And Keep it.
I don't know about you (and you and you) but (unless you're a star endorser)... Peak Earn Curve comes around Once. Make that One shot meaningful and Lasting..

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of yamaha finishes....I had the good fortune to have an afternoon with Hodgi, the legendary designer of Yammie drums. Asking about the outstanding gloss finishes I was told that the piano finishers do it and before you get to buff, you apprentice for 2 years. Makes sense given the quality.
Hagi. Not Hodgi.

The PHX bop is even priced higher, but this is much more than a bop kit (this was the one I had on loan for more than two years). It is capable of sounding like. 13/16/22 yet having the small footprint and weight saves tremendously.

https://www.grahamrusselldrums.com/yamaha-phx-drum-kit-textured-garnet-red-ex-display.html

Black kits are just classic and fit in everywhere without problem.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a Piano black kit (with nice chrome) Is the classiest looking drums ever! I have heard about the point of view that it looks depressed or it’s for funeral but I don’t see that, it’s the classiest and the most eye catching, IMHO.
Hammer and Gadd will agree!

There are many good looking finishes but I think only a few really stand out on and off the stage.

as for why RC’s are expensive, I don’t know. Part of it is because RC’s are well known line from Yamaha and fit and finish is top notch. Sonor Vintage Series is also at the same price level, I like Yamaha kits but I’d take the Sonor over this.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha’s piano black finish isn’t nearly as good as they used to be when made in Japan. The original RC piano black finish was on another level than the current one.