Why are these so expensive?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find very dark colored drums (like a black snare) depressing..funereal.
Will say this. In one's life there's Peak Earning Curve. Best to hit that time and buy your dream kit (bop or otherwise) then and there And Keep it.
I don't know about you (and you and you) but (unless you're a star endorser)... Peak Earn Curve comes around Once. Make that One shot meaningful and Lasting..
Buying once when I was at peak earning was my plan, I bought my brand new six piece DW Collector's Series kit in 2008, a year before I retired. I have been lucky enough to go crazy and buy my Gretsch USA Custom shell bank over the past year, and still have the DWs.

I think it unlikely that I'll be able to do it a third time, but it depends on how much I like the new Slingerlands when they appear.

;) :D :)

Reactions: JDA

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
I’m was a big fan of Yamaha with the one exception that it’s basically impossible to get a 20x14 bass. However, their move to China production really bothers me. They are charging MIJ or Made in USA prices for China made drums. I’m not getting it. . .

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha’s piano black finish isn’t nearly as good as they used to be when made in Japan. The original RC piano black finish was on another level than the current one.
If I have one knock on the current Yamaha offerings, the finishes are very basic. Quality for sure, but the options are nothing like they were when they were MIJ. Pearl and Tama have so many amazing finishes, I can't decide on one, but Yamaha it's Black or White.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a Piano black kit (with nice chrome) Is the classiest looking drums ever! I have heard about the point of view that it looks depressed or it’s for funeral but I don’t see that, it’s the classiest and the most eye catching, IMHO.
Hammer and Gadd will agree!

There are many good looking finishes but I think only a few really stand out on and off the stage.

as for why RC’s are expensive, I don’t know. Part of it is because RC’s are well known line from Yamaha and fit and finish is top notch. Sonor Vintage Series is also at the same price level, I like Yamaha kits but I’d take the Sonor over this.
I agree the Piano Black is a timeless finish that's always in style. With regard to the RC's it's the finish that made that series.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I feel the drums are great; but the new wood finishes are not there yet. So much work in a gloss finish. I’d really like to know what the current margin for Yamaha is on their drums. Wages must be way less than what they once had to pay.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
$2,800 in 2020 equals $503.40 in 1974.

Sound better now?
According to the US Census Bureau, that would be about 54.4% of the average monthly income that year.
Compared to today, where the average monthly income is $3350.53. That $2800 is roughly 83.5% of that monthly income.
So regardless of whether you get the drums now, or in 1974, chances are, you'd either have to save up over several months to get those drums, or blow your whole wad that month and worry about the bills later on.....yeah, that one...I'll take door #2...and Carol Merrill, please. =)

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel the drums are great; but the new wood finishes are not there yet. So much work in a gloss finish. I’d really like to know what the current margin for Yamaha is on their drums. Wages must be way less than what they once had to pay.
Not way less

For everyone expecting lower prices when they opened a factory in China, that wasn’t the reason for the move (nor was it the parting with Sakae)

They have invested a tremendous amount of money and time in making a new factory (not moving the whole production itself), picking and traing staff to their crazy high standards, import Us wood for their kits and much more.

Gavin gives a nice insight in this.

The move most likely cost them more than it saved them costs.

Let me check the mid 00 price lists later on.

The price was high (if mot higher) back then too.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Yamaha gear. I think their quality is first rate. There's a strange split for them, in that their kits always seem very expensive (in my mind, over-priced), but yet their snares seem right in the ballpark with other major lines.

It seems with the bop sized kits gaining steam lately, manufacturers across the board charging more for them. Pricing always seems to follow the trends.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80s I was between a Tama Superstar, Yamaha RC and Tour series kit. Of the three kits, the Superstar was the least expensive. It was priced lower than the Tour series with a wrap finish. I ended up going with the Tamas.

If we had access into Yamaha's books, we'd probably be surprised at the manufacturing costs vs the selling price. Watch an episode of Shark Tank or The Profit (which actually had a feature on SJC). The RC's are Yamaha's premium pro kit and premium level things have higher profit margins as opposed to budget kits with a lower margins and the profit is on the volume.

jaymandude

Reaction score
I’m was a big fan of Yamaha with the one exception that it’s basically impossible to get a 20x14 bass. However, their move to China production really bothers me. They are charging MIJ or Made in USA prices for China made drums. I’m not getting it. . .
"Your object isn't to buy runs, it's to buy wins"
" baseball thinking is medieval"

from the ( great) movie " Moneyball"

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOU MEAN THESE CLUNKERS?

I don't know, considering you can get a brand new Canopus, MIJ, a kit with a stellar reputation for $1600, or a Pork Pie USA Custom, made to order for $1600, this well used Yamaha seems a bit much. Maybe it's the built in, "bop premium" that seems to be built into every bop set you see.

The new price of $2800 is pretty rich as well.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
$2800 may be the high end price. If you are thinking investment, I wouldn't pull the trigger on it cause you don't have anywhere to go if you decide to sell it. My sense is you will struggle to even break even. As I have gotten older, I began to look at the resale component when I buy drums. I walked away from Asia made goods years ago, cause the resale value does not hold up. Sonor & Gretsch are much safer bets for $$$ investment.