Why Are They Called "Beavertail" Lugs?

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a question that has puzzled me for years. Rogers and possibly other drum companies had plain, basic lugs on their early model drums that we call "bread and butter" lugs. Later, they came out with a more streamlined version that we refer to as "beavertails." Anybody know where that term came from? They sure don't look like beaver tails to me.

L

leedybdp

My understanding is that a lug housing that extends beyond the mounting holes has become generically called a beavertail lug. Some early beavertail lugs actually did have some cosmetic similarities to a beaver's flat tail that extended beyond the mounting hole(s). This is most apparent on lugs that serve to anchor heads to one side--not center mounted lugs for both heads.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's what they called it in the catalog page for the sloped lugs. leedybdp is right on with the center lugs not being labeled "beavertails" but accepted as such to designate the same cast design. The slope is like a beavers tail. The patent has ref. to the tail end(err cheese), pun intended, of Nov. 1963. see link for patent. Page scan below is from the 64Rcat. Hunting and fishing were choice ways to spend time around those parts at that time. Peace, Gary

http://www.google.com/patents?id=37ZzAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not sure why they called them that but the term dates back to the 30's and I believe originated with Leedy, which was the first major make to use those types of cast lugs instead of tube style.

L

leedybdp

The Leedy lugs in those pictures do, indeed, have a beaver-like tail extending over the mounting holes. I have dozens of those lugs. Some of the Leedy lugs do not have the tails, and sit on a backing plate that overhangs the mounting holes.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's a photo of a beaver, complete with the tail showing a slight ridge down the middle. Easy to see where the connection came from:
Hmmn. That looks more like a Rogers beavertail than a Leedy one, IMHO. :lol:

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It has something to do with beaver and a piece of tail . . . or a piece of tail and a beaver . . . or was that . . . hmm-m-m-m . . . maybe it was . . . err-r-r-r . . . the piece is a tail . . .

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Southern rock group made up of former members of Roy Orbison's road band The Candymen and The Atlanta Rhythm Section... BEAVER TEETH