header.nohb.html

Why are vintage drums/cymbals so hard to find at antique shops?…

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have many,many shops saved online…as I like a variety of antiques…
but..hardly EVER see drums….

I found a L& L Ludwigold 28” bd and snare….maybe 25 years ago..in Waverly,Iowa….just blindly calling shops…

and..a Gladstone Bocka-da-bock …..a few years ago…online….but….that is about all I recall….!

I see quite a few guitars…harmonicas….banjos…..trumpets etc…..

why is drum stuff so scarce?

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
size... compare a snare drum or even drum kit compared to a decent guitar...even if the % mark up over value is the same...that kit is taking up more space...and maybe noise...everyone thinks there a drummer so they might touch it/play it (?)...

In general...since the rise of the internet I think a lot of shops put stuff on line...its all about making the most $ in the shortest time.

Trumpets/banjos make easy decorations...

my guesses

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started collecting I found a Geisler at an antique shop in Rhode Island.
For the next 30 years I never found another drum in antique shop or antique mall (not including the old 26th street area ones they used to have in NYC).

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to hit the antique shops in central Ohio like Rick and yes they were fruitful but 90% of the time they were marching drums, single tension, or a combination of both or 60s MIJ stuff. Here in Ohio we are blessed with a lot of old drums, just depends on what you want. My hot spots were trade ins at Ma and Pa stores but as we know 90% of those have closed.

healthie1

Reaction score
My finds from thrift stores have been limited. A MIJ snare shell, 2 crappy stands and some cymbals spray painted were $10; I got a 14" Zyn for $5. Aside from that, I haven't found any insane bargains. I'm in British Columbia, and I think we got significantly less drums, and definitely less vintage drums here than America did.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first started collecting I found a Geisler at an antique shop in Rhode Island.
For the next 30 years I never found another drum in antique shop or antique mall (not including the old 26th street area ones they used to have in NYC).
Yup..same as me..but..Rik finds them about every week…

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
When I was maybe 10 or 11 years old, I saw a Ludwig black beauty high up on a shelf in an antique mall near Morton, IL. Could have been a Leedy. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I could tell it was special. I have gone back there more than once as an adult and asked about it, but of course the drum is long gone.

Since then I've seen maybe one or two drums, but nothing special. Just modern stuff that the seller knows nothing about.

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there are just a lot of drums in central and south western Ohio and that is where Rik and I live.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The most antique drums I have seen is on American pickers, seen quite a few pre 40's basses and what looks like old marchers.These were in the background. Only thing I ever saw them buy was a 70's Era supra

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think with the rise of ebay and other sources most antique shop owners have become more sophisticated and have more resources available to them to determine the value of things. With that knowledge they probably become aware that they are better of selling drums to music shops or specialized sellers than taking up a lot of floor space with relatively high dollar items that cater to a small market

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine found this in a second hand store about 20 years ago. He had Jack Lawton do a restoration on it a couple years ago. The owner is on the right side in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 40

drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s been a few over the decades the last indoor antique type flea market find was a 64 Acro with brass hoops in excellent condition. Pd $25 flipped for $650 oh yeah baby
Wow I've been around awhile but you sold an Acro for $650 that's incredible

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow I've been around awhile but you sold an Acro for $650 that's incredible
Listed for 750 accepted 650 best offer. A little Shocked myself but then again I have a few very discerning collectors buyers that appreciate top notch vintage gear I must say the drum was flawless.
You know I only collect the best of the best
6550F756-1A02-46AB-BA82-FBF94F6D09BE.jpeg
BDA18548-BBD7-4AB3-8D4F-4B605B4188AA.jpeg