Why?! did Ludwig move tone controls to above the badge in the 70s

ludtubs

Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason for this move?! To me, it seems functionally less practical, as well as asthetically detracting to the beauty of the badge. It bugs me, and I just can't think of any practical reason they'd do it. Insight, anyone? Thanks!

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my thinking would be cost saving, shell would be drilled for muffler and badge in one position, less handling and mistakes. also might not need to worry if it was to be a left or right hand drum.

ludtubs

Reaction score
Oh, but of course. Makes perfect sense. But I still don't love the looks of it :). Thank you both!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah it allowed for uniform drilling since the resulting drums could be considered "omnidirectional" as far as placement on the bass drum or a floor stand. The bracket was placed 180° from the muffler/badge location so regardless of being mounted on the left or right of the holder the badge and muffler ended up on an equally odd spot. Plus if someone ordered an add-on tom Ludwig didn't have to worry about how to drill it. When the wrap rivets came in I think they moved the wrap seams to line up with the mounting brackets to help hide the rivets. It was all about ease of production.

Ludzil

Reaction score
Some transition badge Keystone floor toms had the tone control on the same panel as the badge as shown in the 60 catalog.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some Ludwig marching drums had the badge and muffler lined up from way back.