Why did Nicko McBrain switch to British Drum Co. after only a few years with Sonor?

nmosko

Reaction score
Anybody know? I saw on BDC’s site they had a couple of signature snares for him. Is this the only reason why? Just curious...

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He started with Sonor then Premier then Sonor again and now BDC. He also owns a shop in the UK now which may have had something to do with it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was gonna ask this question last night. I found out yesterday that he had switched. I haven't a clue why but I went into BDC's website out of curiosity and they have some amazing looking drums.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe I heard in a video, he wanted his drums made a certain way and Sonor would approve it. Don't hold me to that. I'm trying to remember exactly where I heard that???????

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keith Keough (of British Drum Company) was working for Premier when Nicko was with Premier . Keith made Nicko’s various Premier drum sets and I assume developed a relationship with him .
I assume this may be a big part of his moving to BDC from Sonor .

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's because BDC has the best sounding drums to his ears and he couldn't see himself playing any other drums after hearing BDC? Isn't that the same jargon everyone uses when they switch companies? LOL

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I had found these pieces back when it happened and thought they were enlightening.

Apparently, he had been “Tokin’ abou’ it wif Keif, evah seence die wawn.”

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had found these pieces back when it happened and thought they were enlightening.

Apparently, he had been “Tokin’ abou’ it wif Keif, evah seence die wawn.”

Those are ugly :laughing5:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear the majority of times people leave a company it has more to do with the relationships with the people than with the drums. The drums are just tools to these guys. Many endorsed drummers hardly know how to tune a drum let alone know all the specifics of how they are made, what they are made of, or what special technology went in to making them. We are the drum tech nerds who bicker about the mundane details of the shell construction of vintage Gretsch round badge shells, while they are the real drummers who focus on their playing and sounding the best they can for their music. The gear they play is probably 5th or 6th on the list of things that are important to them in doing their job.

So if Nikko left Sonor, it was likely because a relationship went south on him. It could have been his point of contact at the company leaving to go to another company, it could have been a lack of support for touring and needing additional gear (though I would think Sonor is in a better position for this than BDC), or could have just been a disagreement about some sort of signature snare with a crazy paint job. Honestly, who cares? Would you buy a Sonor kit specifically because Nikko plays them? If the answer is yes, are you looking at buying a BDC kit now that Nikko is with them?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Those are ugly :laughing5:
You know, I’ve never followed a lick of Iron Maiden’s music, yet I’ve somehow discovered how much I enjoy Nicko whenever news of him surfaces. While their music isn’t my thing, I can't help thinking how much fun it must be for the fans having someone like him representing their favorite band.

And as for British Drum Company, given their pedigree, I’m always rooting for them as well. I think when you see how competitive their sounds, finishes and construction all are, it’s as if somebody told them the drumming world is theirs for the taking, because they’re sure acting like it.

I’m excited for both of them.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know, I’ve never followed a lick of Iron Maiden’s music, yet I’ve somehow discovered how much I enjoy Nicko whenever news of him surfaces. While their music isn’t my thing, I can't help thinking how much fun it must be for the fans having someone like him representing their favorite band.

And as for British Drum Company, given their pedigree, I’m always rooting for them as well. I think when you see how competitive their sounds, finishes and construction all are, it’s as if somebody told them the drumming world is theirs for the taking, because they’re sure acting like it.

I’m excited for both of them.
I’ve heard some great sounding drums from BDC and I’ve seen some beautiful ones too... but these are fugly.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could have sworn he was an investor or had some kind of interest. But he's got that British pride thing going, and good for him, he should. I've been impressed with the things I've seen from BDC.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
From Reverb:

“The story of Nicko and Sonor started back in the late '70s when he was playing for Pat Travers, who insisted he get a "big, f-off drum kit." Nicko landed on a monstrous 12-piece Phonic XK-9212, which Travers kept when Nicko left. The kit made such an impression on Nicko that he got the same when he joined Maiden in '83 and signed with Sonor.
The relationship turned south in 1993 when, according to Nicko, Sonor "forgot" to send him an 11-piece Signature kit for Iron Maiden's Australia tour, instead sending a Force 3000 in the wrong configuration. While playing at Christchurch, New Zealand, Nicko stood up on the 16" floor tom (he uses an 18") during "Hallowed Be Thy Name," and the drum gave way, causing Nicko to take a tumble and injure himself in a pile of drums, cymbals, and hardware.
In addition, Sonor was sold to Hohner at the time, so Nicko broke ties and linked up with Premier, where he stayed until the company stopped manufacturing in the UK in 2014.”

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From Reverb:

“The story of Nicko and Sonor started back in the late '70s when he was playing for Pat Travers, who insisted he get a "big, f-off drum kit." Nicko landed on a monstrous 12-piece Phonic XK-9212, which Travers kept when Nicko left. The kit made such an impression on Nicko that he got the same when he joined Maiden in '83 and signed with Sonor.
The relationship turned south in 1993 when, according to Nicko, Sonor "forgot" to send him an 11-piece Signature kit for Iron Maiden's Australia tour, instead sending a Force 3000 in the wrong configuration. While playing at Christchurch, New Zealand, Nicko stood up on the 16" floor tom (he uses an 18") during "Hallowed Be Thy Name," and the drum gave way, causing Nicko to take a tumble and injure himself in a pile of drums, cymbals, and hardware.
In addition, Sonor was sold to Hohner at the time, so Nicko broke ties and linked up with Premier, where he stayed until the company stopped manufacturing in the UK in 2014.”
To be fair to Sonor, he probably still would’ve taken a tumble and injured himself in a pile of drums, cymbals, and hardware if it were an 18” floor Tom with the signature kit lol.

These BDC drums sound stellar!

nmosko

Reaction score
There’s interviews on YouTube with Nicko telling the story of the Force 3000 kit and how he fell off of it. He is hilarious when he tells those stories. I’d love to see a video of that incident but I doubt it exists. He always tells that story about messing up the intro to Flight of Icarus too. I must confess, I’ve gone down the YouTube wormhole on ol Nicko and I’ve watched every interview I could find lol. The video where him and Steve Harris are in a super heated argument and Bruce is secretly recording it is solid gold. I’d probably fanboy pretty hard if I ever met the great Nicko mcbrain!!