Why did Nicko McBrain switch to British Drum Co. after only a few years with Sonor?

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nicko was very loyal to the Link family, and played Sonor until the Link family sold the company. He rejoined Sonor because some of the ”old guard” were still there, but there was always something with his kit, be it the 6” Tom they had to get the shell made from a different company, to the old style cymbal stands he insists on using. i think that probably made it a little difficult. The crux of it lies with loyalty. Technically, he played Premier Drums longer than he played Sonor, but was hesitant about taking on a new brand too soon, unlike some artists (coughSakaecough).

This is 100% speculation, but I think he wanted a kit to use with the same specs outside of the Maiden kit, and Sonor was like, “you’re gonna have to pay for that one” to which Nicko probably replied “do you know who I fu***ng am?“, and quit endorsing Sonor. Which is par for the course, actually. Even in the heyday of “free drums”, Sonor required Steve Smith to buy his first two or three kits before they considered to take him on as a Sonor artist. Possibly Jack, too. I don’t think Jack owns any kit from Sonor that’s not 20 or so years old. Again, speculation.

Anyway, BDC is making amazing gear, and it’s only a matter of time until I get my hands on a Merlin snare. As for Nicko, well he got his “Maiden” kit, his not Maiden kit in the same sizes, and TWO signature snares, one wood and one metal. Can’t ask for much more, I don’t think. Win-win, if you ask me...

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never really got into Maiden, but I saw Nicko as a guest drummer on "Late Night with Seth Meyers". Even though that band doesn't exactly play challenging tunes, Nicko was smiling like a little kid while banging out the 2&4!

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ok if they aren't your cup of tea, can't play to any bigger (concert size) audiences, worldwide, than what Iron Maiden has / does / will.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Last year I purchased 3 Sonor kits, 2 Phonics and a Pro-lite series kit and traded a yamaha rc kit for another Phonic...all 4 the same sizes 13, 14, 16, 22...

I really wanted to check out the new heavy 4000 or 6000 series hardware while I was in Nashville for rehearsals. I've got a buddy who works there and another dear friend who's friends with the Sonor guys and is an endorser...I tried to purchase, yes purchase, told them I had my cc number where do I send it, was wanting a couple snare stands, they just couldn't help....got them somewhere on reverb...and it wasn't my buddy in nashville's fault, it was a problem on the German side of things....crazy

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it is just this side of the pond or worldwide, but the drummers I have talked to who do or did play Sonor, have all said the same thing.
Tour support is a big reason many drummers play DW. They bend over backwards to support their artists. I suspect there are drummers playing DW who don't like them but they know if they need a loaner kit in a hurry or any other support they will get it.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As said above, Nicko likes the family atmosphere he has with Paiste and also had when Horst Link owned Sonor. Nicko discussed this on a video years ago. When Hohner took over Sonor, Nicko wasn't as happy with the corporate mindset of the company (his words) and he switched to Premier. When Premier folded, he went back with Sonor, but it makes sense that he is with a company like the British Drum Company given the relationship he had with the Keith at Premier. I really think it's a good personal fit and there wasn't anything Sonor could have done to keep him. It's also great that the British Drum Company has a major artist like Nicko as an endorser and there is a British manufacturer of quality (made in the UK) drums again.